Search found 224 matches

by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:02 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

How can you speak that way about his "science"? Well now look what that sneaky pet food industry did again. I think I will stick with science and feed my dog like a wolf. No offence but I'll take the advice from the guy with 26 years of professional experience and Phd ....(Edited the uncalled for s...
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:All the Science I need is standing in my Kennels & your science is on the internet!! Same ole BS. :roll:
Change can be difficult but there's always hope!
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:11 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

Carry on I'll stay out of this garbage from now on!! The members that are sick of it all should speak up & let the admin know. Bye! No one is asking you to stay out of these discussions. Provide us with you argument on what you feed with science behind you. I heard a good point of view by a blogger...
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:46 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

Additionally, dogs and wolves share 99.8% of their mitochondrial DNA (Wayne, R.K. Molecular Evolution of the Dog Family). "The domestic dog is an extremely close relative of the gray wolf, differing from it by at most 0.2% of mDNA sequence..." mDNA (mitochondrial DNA) is ONLY passed down through th...
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

I have to hand it to Angus, at least he is willing to look at science and try to put real evidence out there so that the open minded can make informed decisions on what is best for their dogs as far as nutrition goes. I wonder how many will except real science though?
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:51 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

I respectfully ask that you guys take it to PM or another thread. I would really like to keep this thread clean and open for it's intended purpose. 8) That's getting tough Angus as it seems that every thread is getting locked out because some on here seem to dislike the truth about dog nutrition an...
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:10 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

I disagreed with you saying you have some science when you don't. All you have is opinion. Sorry, but unless you can tell me what you disagree with in the two articles I really cant help you? When people qualified to present research and findings based on science and experience and there is no evid...
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:37 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

I would like you to be more specific? Was there something you disagreed with in either article?
by walkos5
Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:40 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I have an Attitude ? :roll: :lol:
Yes, a negative one at least towards the acceptance of science and what it tells us about k9 nutrition.
by walkos5
Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:20 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

You guys can post all the internet links you want from whom ever you want the fact of the matter is the end result.The end result is your dogs condition,performace,on what he is eating & the kibble fed dogs out number the raw fed dogs many times over now show me the facts of how the raw fed dogs li...
by walkos5
Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:05 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

I have to disagree. While it's true that "dogs are almost" genetically identical to wolves, we all have to admit that not only have humans changed canines, so has mother nature. Genes, chromosomes, DNA etc are not 'carved in stone', but are plastic and can and do change.Here is a link to a scientif...
by walkos5
Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:20 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

Fair enough.
by walkos5
Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:54 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

So much for UC Davis! For Dogs & Cats Essential news for cats, dogs and pet owners. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- « Prepare For The Ultimate Noogie Talk Back To ABC News About Pet Nutrition » Veterinary Professor Speaks Candidly On UC Davis, AAFCO, ...
by walkos5
Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

Unless you post the origin of the article, it means nothing and is not credible. Was it written by a PH.D at UCDavis, or some blue-haired pet parent who feeds her pomeranian off a fork? :roll: Why? Do you doubt the information and research that was done by research scientists or information that th...
by walkos5
Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Dog Nutrition Thread
Replies: 44
Views: 9647

Re: Dog Nutrition Thread

Here's an interesting one I found. Myth: DOGS ARE TOO FAR REMOVED FROM WOLVES/HAVE BEEN CHANGED TOO MUCH, AND THEREFORE CANNOT HANDLE A RAW DIET . This is MOSTLY false. The only truth found in this statement is that humans have changed dogs. BUT, we have only changed their external appearance and te...
by walkos5
Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:35 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

So don't list any scientific evidence. How about just a source for your info? Just post some sources for your info. Let us make our own decision based on our reading of your sources instead of you telling all of us how stupid we are. Plain ol'e opinion does not help anyone make an informed decision...
by walkos5
Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:17 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

So don't list any scientific evidence. How about just a source for your info? Just post some sources for your info. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/ucm047113.htm that's a good one! Though my post was directed more at Walkos. 8) Yes, that is a good one, and thanks Susie.
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:54 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Nobody is missing your point. I assure you of that. That sir, is not the problem here.It is the fact that YOU are ignoring and dismissing logical, factual evidence presented by others and insisting that your personal observations, on an extremely small sample base(1 dog...or was it 2) which inciden...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Labs4Me wrote:http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/ ... 8.abstract


And with that... I''m out. You can lead a horse to water.... blah blah blah 8)
No. Too little information and mice are not dogs.
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:18 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

You have made this point on many occasions - I certainly haven't missed it. And I will tell you straight up - it is pure, unadulterated bullshit. And I am not angry, just pointing out your foolishness for your own benefit. So are you telling me that cooking meat to temps, high enough to kill any ba...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:52 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

You haven't provided even one scientific fact of any relevance to any point you have tried to make yet. And yet you think you have??? Foolish boy. Well when people cant pull facts out of hard core science provided by scientific research that's been proven before computers were ever invented, that m...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Hey, feed what ya want to feded, them dogs will eat out of a garbage can if you let em :) if the dogs are doing well, then so be it. I feed raw meat to my cats every once in awhile, the dogs get scraps from butchering. But they still go for the cracked corn :) too let the media and comercials make ...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:47 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Why don't you call up your nutritionist and as him if you would be better off eating those carrots raw or cooked?You are a fool who doesn't know he doesn't know and is unwilling to learn, happy to parrot someone else's agenda. Actually there is little difference either way with carrots but fresh pu...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Why would I need to call someone? I am not making statements that I cannot back up, stop trying to out lazy everyone and prove your hypothesis. How about because every bit of scientific information that is fact, but short of a dog food study that I supply is no good to any kibble feeder. There seem...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:04 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Prove it.... Do me a favor, call any professional nutritionist from your area and ask what would be a healthier choice for you, a handful of fresh spinach, carrots ,and broccoli, with your dinner or a dinner void of them but with some store bought vitamins to make up the difference? Let me know the...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:52 am
Forum: Hunting
Topic: hardly believable but posted anyway.
Replies: 13
Views: 4299

Re: hardly believable but posted anyway.

Have lots of Red tailed in my hunting area, never had one go after my game but I believe them to be evenly responsible as the fox and coyotes for the missing birds come spring. I wonder if a controlled hunting season would do any real harm to some of those birds of prey, because I hear a lot of comp...
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:30 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

ezzy333 wrote:Good post with several facts a lot of people just don't understand.

Ezzy
Can you please tell me where the facts are in this article because all I have read are statements on whats not proven from the more natural food choices? Its like we are reliving the nightmare of, "Do any of you feed raw".
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:18 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I guess Purina is the root to all EVIL!! :roll:
No, its just not as good as what I feed, haven't you had enough yet?
by walkos5
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:59 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Dog food article
Replies: 82
Views: 17673

Re: Dog food article

If I am not mistaken the descriptions on this Website are off the USDA site/dog food labeling. What they didnt mention is that ingredients on dog food labels are listed "before" they are processed. So, if meat is listed as the first ingredient and what 50% moisture (?) after processing the "meat" i...
by walkos5
Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:24 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

Where is your response to the information provided by an actual musher? You have constantly pointed to sled dogs to build up your argument... Now all we get is crickets? All you have to say is you were wrong and we can all move on. I'm satisfied with the FACT that he honestly admitted what he feeds...
by walkos5
Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:25 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

Yeah but are their Britts "50 lbs of rock hard muscle" ? :lol: I just slipped my 2 some leftover corn muffins from dinner. They ate them with gusto. Obviously they are unaware I am trying to kill them with CORN! I could care less who feeds corn, I said those dogs eat both kibble and assorted foods ...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:54 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

Oh my god it's CORN!!! Seriously, a pretty good read here. http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2009/02/you-make-iditarod-winner-with-good-dog.html Seems in another post I read Mackey also feeds plenty of red meat, fish, and beaver for added protein. And I would be willing to bet the farm the ratio...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:31 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

You think? Really?Anyway, most sled dogs are fed kibble year round and supplemented during races. As to the rest, since I never said those things, you're going to have to argue with yourself. I think you need to take a trip up to Alaska and see what those dogs are really eating, and stop reading so...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Walkos he owns a few so I guess he knows what they eat plus our dogs are on the F Trial circuit & we know what our handler feeds as do most of the pro trainers & handlers.
And how many dogs win competitions each year? Can you tell me that they all eat kibble?
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:08 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

You think? Really?Anyway, most sled dogs are fed kibble year round and supplemented during races. As to the rest, since I never said those things, you're going to have to argue with yourself. I think you need to take a trip up to Alaska and see what those dogs are really eating, and stop reading so...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:48 pm
Forum: Training
Topic: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain
Replies: 20
Views: 3850

Re: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain

You need to get he dog to understand it is supposed to stand still when on birds. You will flush the bird for him. Having to whoa the dog to get it to stand is not ideal. Especially not ideal when you are in a situation that you cant see the dog. I personally think that from what I read, that you n...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:10 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

Take your dog out and prove your point should be real easy out performing all those corn Fed dogs.Most everyone your arguing with have proven dogs do you? Show us your more then just a internet know it all. It's never going to happen. His little bench bred bitch is pretty, though, romping through t...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:02 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food
Replies: 57
Views: 19679

Re: Wild Alaskan salmon, the 1000 mile dog race food

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130310/what-powers-iditarod-dogs-over-1000-unforgiving-miles-wild-alaska-salmon-course What powers Iditarod dogs over 1,000 unforgiving miles? Wild Alaska salmon, of course. It's natural, wholesome, and contains absolutely no corn gluten. Before you argue thi...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:46 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat
Replies: 156
Views: 39019

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

...Show me a kibble fed dog that made it to his mid twenties and I'll stock up on some cheap kibble? Your first dog is...3 years old at present, right? You believe that the lifespan of birddogs, English setters to single out one breed, can be in the realm of a legitimate 25 years by following your ...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:18 pm
Forum: Training
Topic: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain
Replies: 20
Views: 3850

Re: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain

There is an old saying "Broke over the hill" from the sounds of it your dog is not "Broke over the hill". In this case there isn't a hill. But you get the idea. Get a Garmin, a beeper, a bell etc. The dog finding birds and you not able to find him is reinforcing the behavior. One of my first bird d...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:07 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat
Replies: 156
Views: 39019

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Why? That's not an average lifespan regardless of food. Show me a dog who lived into it's mid twenties eating raw and working hard everyday. If it even happens I would say it has more to do with genetics and lifestyle than raw vs. kibble. Better arguments will make for a much better discussion wher...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:34 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat
Replies: 156
Views: 39019

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Its mostly the corn along with all of the wonderful additives used to keep those mystery meats from spoiling while it sits on store shelves for months. Hmm. So dogs have a shorter than normal life because of those things; so there must be some proof somewhere to support that, right? Show me a kibbl...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 am
Forum: Training
Topic: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain
Replies: 20
Views: 3850

Re: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain

If your dog is consistently flushing birds in thick cover or not, IMO it is most likely one of two things an inexperienced dog that is still trying to figure out how to handle wild birds or a training issue that needs to be addressed in a controlled situation. The thing is when he is in lower cover...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:07 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat
Replies: 156
Views: 39019

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Pretty sure Rooster Cogburn took a bag of corn dodgers when he went after Ned Pepper...that would speak highly of the value of corn. When dogs are becoming sick or dying from some of the stuff that they are being fed, it's really not funny..... At least in my opinion. What dogs are getting sick or ...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:43 am
Forum: Training
Topic: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain
Replies: 20
Views: 3850

Re: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain

I hunt the same kind of areas and have found that a gps unit is a must have. I use the Garmin Alpha and wouldn't hunt without it. I hunt some bad areas also and with the alpha I can find her even in the thickest cover. As far as form go's that will come with lot's of exposer with wild birds. This h...
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:03 am
Forum: Training
Topic: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain
Replies: 20
Views: 3850

Re: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain

There's actually some experienced hunters on here that have respect for science and research who realize that sometimes the good old ways weren't always the best ways. To some 12 years is old for a dog, to others 20 is so I'll stick with science and 20 Mr. experience....
by walkos5
Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 am
Forum: Training
Topic: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain
Replies: 20
Views: 3850

Re: Training a pointer to hunt difficult terrain

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote::lol:Seriously Walkos you expect us old more experienced guys to give you an answer when you told us in another thread our experience means nothing!! Your joking right? :roll:
Yeah, but are you really older because I thought you were like 13......
by walkos5
Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:49 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat
Replies: 156
Views: 39019

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Who's angry you guys amuse me!! :lol: Do both of you wear Hip Boots all the time??
Waders especially when discussing diet and nutrition with you and slistoe. Its a must because the brown gets way past the hips.
by walkos5
Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:28 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat
Replies: 156
Views: 39019

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

slistoe wrote:I hope you are harnessing it.Laughter is the best medicine. Pity in counterproductive though - it is draining my energy.

And you think I don't laugh at you and your brother...
by walkos5
Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:19 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat
Replies: 156
Views: 39019

Re: Is this good? 48% dog food and 48% meat

Not so fast with the irresponsibility and self focused agenda, I also said lots of home work is necessary to make informed decisions on how to feed that dog. I would not recommend a new puppy chow down on a shank bone bigger then his head nor will I give my full grown Britt a small cooked pork chop...