Search found 327 matches

by Bounty_Hunter
Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Porcupine troubles
Replies: 11
Views: 2821

Re: Porcupine troubles

I may stand to be corrected & if so please advise. No mention of cutting quill first before trying to remove. This supposedly will release the barbed end for an easier pull. I only make mention in case others feel they may try it on there own. My 1st GSP I removed about 2 dozen quills by myself usi...
by Bounty_Hunter
Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:49 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Porcupine troubles
Replies: 11
Views: 2821

Re: Porcupine troubles

I will be picking up a pair of those clamps for sure. Anytime I can avoid the vet I do. Nothing against vets, I just don't like emptying my wallet when I can do it myself. This is really a tough one though because there is really nothing to clamp on to. He must have bit part of the needle off or wor...
by Bounty_Hunter
Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Porcupine troubles
Replies: 11
Views: 2821

Re: Porcupine troubles

I tried for over an hour last night but there is not enough to grip even with good needle nose pliers, the only other option would be to make a small slice near the needle and dig it out but that's where I draw the line. He has a 3pm appointment with the vet today. I removed needles from his face be...
by Bounty_Hunter
Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Always hungry
Replies: 11
Views: 4032

Re: Always hungry

I tried an e-collar on my dog for counter surfing and it works great but the problem is it only works when you are present, as he will catch on that when no one is around the bar is open. The mouse traps sound like a better idea.
by Bounty_Hunter
Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Porcupine troubles
Replies: 11
Views: 2821

Porcupine troubles

My Brittany had his 3rd run in with another porcupine and like usual I removed all or what I thought was all of the needles embedded in his left paw and shoulder, but today which is 2 days later I felt a needle embedded inside his skin at his elbow. I can feel the needle barley sticking out but cant...
by Bounty_Hunter
Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 am
Forum: Legislation & Hunting Rights
Topic: Are you an NRA member?
Replies: 122
Views: 46654

Re: Are you an NRA member?

The government does not have the option of ignoring our Constitution of which the Bill of Rights is part of. I understand the short of money argument but you should stop right there and not try to justify your position with other excuses. Yes, this is still the USA but probably won't be for long if...
by Bounty_Hunter
Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:38 am
Forum: Legislation & Hunting Rights
Topic: Are you an NRA member?
Replies: 122
Views: 46654

Re: Are you an NRA member?

I'm not a member because I don't have the extra cash to support them. The Texan made a good point in that if the government decides to ignore the Bill of Rights then they can shut down the NRA any time they choose. What's sad here is that you are all kind of right as gun owners and hunters to suppor...
by Bounty_Hunter
Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:38 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Summer Heat
Replies: 12
Views: 4775

Re: Summer Heat

Its been my own experience that when these dog days of summer move in I find that I don't run my dog as often as during other seasons and between the lack of exercise and the heat he tends to lay down and rest more but he does let me know when enough is enough and will start to pace and whine when h...
by Bounty_Hunter
Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:14 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Summer Heat
Replies: 12
Views: 4775

Re: Summer Heat

I agree that conditioning sounds like a must if you hunt or do trials in warm weather. I don't do trials but I do hunt in warm weather since the start of our hunting season can still be in the 80s. My dog usually will show signs of fatigue after 5 or 6 miles in hot weather unless there is a cool wat...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:58 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Summer Heat
Replies: 12
Views: 4775

Re: Summer Heat

When temps get into the upper 80s or 90s I don't run him so to get exercise I take him in our pool but I have to hold his collar so he cant scratch the liner. He really likes the water. If I could teach him to use the ladder I'd have it made. :lol:
by Bounty_Hunter
Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Summer Heat
Replies: 12
Views: 4775

Summer Heat

Just wondering what temps would be off limits to running or hunting a dog during summer heat? I usually only run my dog early morning or late evening just before dark during the summer heat. Humidity can also be tough on both of us here in the North East even if there is no sun. I also try to run hi...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:51 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: tiny white specks in stool
Replies: 15
Views: 14314

Re: tiny white specks in stool

My dog gets worms from time to time but they don't seem to bother him. It is mostly during the summer months that I see worms but its usually very few. I read somewhere that dogs can pass worms on their own without the help of medications. Any truth to that?
by Bounty_Hunter
Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:25 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Heart worms
Replies: 24
Views: 9142

Re:

birddog1968 wrote:Heart worms are not something to experiment with....proven medications are the only smart way to treat.

Neither is Google a good place to get information if you have a one track mind.
I didn't know you were a vet too, Did you go to the same veterinary college as Neil ?
by Bounty_Hunter
Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

big steve46 wrote:When I was a kid, my dad fed his hounds coon carcasses in the winter and hog pellets the rest of the year. They did well, and lived to be old
birddogger wrote:Nope kibble would be much better! Maybe you should actually read what he said.Charlie
It depends which quote you were referring to.
by Bounty_Hunter
Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:04 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

birddogger wrote:Welcome back Steve and with a good common sense post. I would imagine that 99.9 percent of us will agree with you too! 8)

Charlie
I doubt it since feeding coon carcasses would not be considered a balanced diet by most in the kibble community. We cant have it both ways Charlie.
by Bounty_Hunter
Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:31 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

I don't have any animosity towards you but sure do find fault with anyone that refuses to acknowledge anything they think might be wrong even in the face of facts that are so evident every place you look while at the same time having you state many opinions with your only evidence is "I think".Ezzy...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:42 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

BH, I have no idea of any way to change your mind and I have never wanted to but it is absolutely amazing how you can blow the whole world off and tell us your idea is more accurate than anything ever studied or researched by everyone else. After 50 years in the business and 70 years in the field y...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:12 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Mud?...then maybe both...or dogs, + birds. Corvids love dog food....others as well. I dumped some moldy cracked corn years ago where I could see it from the house...a fox kept returning to chow down. Lot of critters are opportunistic, easy feeders....a lot of critters rely on assumptions as well. C...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:44 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Ok, there are some things we agree with like in your 3rd paragraph where you say diet is one of the main reason animals don't survive long ( because they cant get enough to eat or they have to fight to get it) and I totally agree with that, meaning, the food they are getting is very nutritious but i...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Dogs may well be 99% the same as wolves, but a big portion of that other 1% is directly related to what dogs can digest. As wolves became domesticated, their genes adapted to a starch-rich diet of human leftovers (and the majority of those "leftovers" had been cooked). Does anybody remember this st...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:00 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Can we believe any of this article or is it all just another sales pitch?

http://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/resour ... in-on-raw/
by Bounty_Hunter
Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:39 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

It becomes a rant when it is what you believe to be true without facts or studies. So then there is a lot of ranting going on by the kibble support community yourself included. My dog looks very healthy from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail, with loads of energy and I feed raw. I cant pro...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:09 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Bounty Hunter, I shouldn't post things like I just did. Would you please come up with just one fact that you can show us the proof of that shows raw is better than dry. And you can't use "I think". Ezzy Here's a question for you Ezzy. Why would most dogs choose a bowl of fresh ground beef over a bo...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:00 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Ezzy, I think you showed a lot of restraint. After I went back and read some of the rantings of Bounty Hunter, I need a nap. So when I'm defending what I believe to be true or accurate like the words of a professional who devotes her life to helping people care for their pets, I'm ranting? I don't ...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:47 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

C'mon... I don't know why but I actually read that link on "myths." Unsubstantiated. Nature is an increasingly cruel and brutal place the further down the food chain we travel. Wolves do not choose to wait weeks to eat, they are opportunists as well as hunters and would eat daily if they could. Whe...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:05 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: What do you feed your Dogs?
Replies: 285
Views: 83388

Re: What do you feed your Dogs?

Coveyrise64 wrote:Don't want to confuse the [raw vs. kibble] debate anymore than it already is but saw this over on the Field Trial forum..... cr
That's what were looking for so we can debate this and get a more balanced opinion about the results between the two. Can you dig a little more and see what you can find?
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Bounty Hunte: Your stated that your goal is not to persuade anyone to feed RAW, but just to get the kibble feeders to admit that RAW is better quality. And when someone asks for proof, you admit you can't provide any, but you can give the example of processed vs. whole foods. With that type of argu...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

BH, I am thinking you totally missed my.point, few that are feeding raw have any idea of the total natritional needs of a canine, let alone one that must perform. So their dogs are getting a much inferior diet than those that are fed all but the cheapest of commercial feeds. So unless you have the ...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:14 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

I do not know of a serious dog man, hunter or trialer, that feeds 100% raw. Partly because of the logistics in traveling, but mostly because they recognize they do not have the knowledge nor the wherewithal to ensure the dogs get full nutritional value. I do know many that suppliment with raw meat,...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

OK then I'm wrong and whole foods produced by nature served fresh are not a healthier choice for man nor beast. Children and teens should get their nutrition from Mc Donalds and snack at convenience stores and everything they eat should be pre packaged as it is for dogs. Does that make you feel bett...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Probably right but you need to take a look and see why that is? Remember this forum is just a cross cut of people that in the dog world, who are reading what you post and it isn't there fault they come to the same conclusion.Ezzy It kind of makes me wonder about all the innocent people in the old w...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

My assumption is that "performance" is a word when applied to a birddog for which you have little understanding and therein lies part of the problem.And so, you are mixed up a bit in trying to support the agenda that gives you pleasure.Agenda, like an old favorite Bean boot, fits. Hunting maybe but...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:39 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Bounty Hunter, A saying that always comes to mind after reading most of your posts that covers them all, " I think, therefore it is". That seems to cover your reasoning for all that you post. You need to have better reasons if you want to inform people and have them believe. Ezzy To say I think lea...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:29 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

OK, they are awesome looking dogs and they do look healthy. I'm not here to point fingers, its the fingers pointing at me that bother me. I seem to be the only one with an agenda on this forum yet when Sharon posted that simple article with concern for older dogs she was immediately challenged by at...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:13 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

BH...YOU see a lot of bjirddogs? Before you told me you didnt even have time to come out to an event I posted up weeks in advance....where do you see these fat bird dogs? I'd bet if you saw 3 other dogs in a month I'd be surprised. Denial and dishonesty being at the root of your arguments. Open you...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:38 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

BH, the "inside" would be indicated by performance :idea: .....that would be the "watch in action" and "look at their performance" part of my post. Trying to imply that I only meant to look at appearance is...typical of your postings, at best. But, if appearance is all one knows as to birddogs and ...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:20 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re:

I don't have the energy....by your logic my dogs should look like a guy who lives on potato chips, sodas and hotdogs.....and twinkies for dessert. (face palm). This thread is about senior dog formulas...... Funny you should mention this because I see lots of bird dogs out there that are fat and don...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:07 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Do you mean "processed foods" or "cooked foods"..... there is a difference between each of them and raw foods, but the differences are certainly not to the same end. If I cook foods to high temperatures for long periods of time would you call that a process? And who cooks dog food at high temperatu...
by Bounty_Hunter
Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:55 am
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Re:

I don't have the energy....by your logic my dogs should look like a guy who lives on potato chips, sodas and hotdogs.....and twinkies for dessert. (face palm). Of all that was said, the above implication is the reality.....if fairness is at all important. Just look and watch birddogs in action, in ...
by Bounty_Hunter
Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:18 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

slistoe wrote:Do you mean "processed foods" or "cooked foods"..... there is a difference between each of them and raw foods, but the differences are certainly not to the same end.
If I cook foods to high temperatures for long periods of time would you call that a process?
by Bounty_Hunter
Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

There is no logic in this statement of yours as it relates to dog food either. Well since I said dog food aside, it shows that logic is not as important as your position on protecting the kibble makers. I was just trying to get you to admit the fact that there is a significant difference between wh...
by Bounty_Hunter
Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re:

Human junk food and processed food is not the same as dry dog food. That's not really that difficult to understand. If processed food is junk food and bad for humans then why would processed dry dog food not be bad for dogs. It is the word processed with the need for preservatives to ensure longer ...
by Bounty_Hunter
Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

Listening to the logic in her statements, sure sounds like its accurate. There is no logic in her statements in that article. Dog food aside, I know lots of folks dumping processed food and its catching on like wildfire. Here is something I heard recently. Many children from the now generation will...
by Bounty_Hunter
Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:24 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

This just cant be so. (The exceptional poor quality protein used in most commercial dog foods is difficult for even young healthy dogs to process.) Can you experienced kibble feeders tell me if this article is accurate? I think most everybody has already weighed in with "this article is bunk". Zero...
by Bounty_Hunter
Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:48 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Senior Dog Food
Replies: 110
Views: 30199

Re: Senior Dog Food

This just cant be so. (The exceptional poor quality protein used in most commercial dog foods is difficult for even young healthy dogs to process.) Can you experienced kibble feeders tell me if this article is accurate?
by Bounty_Hunter
Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:41 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Raw Egg
Replies: 28
Views: 8512

Re: Raw Egg

Eggs and oil will shine up the coat. Cooking the egg will increase the availability of nutrients, but for the trouble I wouldn't bother. The trouble I have with this is I have not found any information to believe this statement. Can you provide a link that explains the science behind this. I have r...
by Bounty_Hunter
Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:52 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Raw Egg
Replies: 28
Views: 8512

Re: Raw Egg

i will throw in my two pennies, as a chef i learned that the white of the egg is where a large majority of food born illness comes from, also the white is a majority complex carbs. Now the yolk on the other hand is full of beneficial proteins and fats, when i feed my dog every now and then ill thro...
by Bounty_Hunter
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Raw Egg
Replies: 28
Views: 8512

Re: Raw Egg

Mountaineer wrote:Old Yeller got a bum rap over the whole egg deal...I would avoid eggs and....biscuits.
No doubt other options exist for comparable benefits.
How about bacon and home fries?
by Bounty_Hunter
Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: To or Not Too Feed Raw Diet?
Replies: 55
Views: 19971

Re: To or Not Too Feed Raw Diet?

Bounty Hunter: I'm sure if you take the time to join a Yahoo email group list dedicated to RAW feeding, or search out a discussion forum, you will find people who have fed RAW for 20 years or more. You will find people who have bred multiple litters over that time, and have raised multiple litters ...
by Bounty_Hunter
Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 pm
Forum: Health and Nutrition
Topic: Raw Egg
Replies: 28
Views: 8512

Re: Raw Egg

Looking at your last 3 or 4 posts and everyone of them come down to your favorite phrase "I think". Sorry but what you think is just that, your thoughts, and have little to do with reality and nothing to do with what someone else should do or follow. Nothing wrong with having thoughts but before th...