Hello from South Dakota!

demi

Hello from South Dakota!

Post by demi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi!

I'm Demi, well actually Lori...you can call me either, just don't call me late for opening day! :wink:
We are in southeast South Dakota-- pheasant country. :D

We have two hunting dogs, an 11-year old GSP that is offically the hubby's dog, and a three-year old Large Munsterlander, Desi. Desi is my first attempt at training a hunting dog, and we have worked hard with training and testing. I had no clue what to do or where to begin, so I relied on two NAVHDA chapters to help me out. It took a lot of hard work and perseverance to overcome many training mistakes, but things have come together for the both us.

On opening weekend last year, I shot my first pheasant ever. It was picture perfect, just the two us, one shot, total steadiness and a beautiful retrieve to hand. It had never gone so well in training...I was hooked. :D This spring Desi passed the NAVHDA UT test with a Prize I, and we also ran the VHDF AHAE test with a score of 177 points.

To be able to learn and hunt with a dog like Desi is a total joy. She loves nothing more than to be out hunting, whether it is for real or training, and is still an awesome dog in the home. She loves everybody, has a wonderful temperament, and if you don't mind me saying so--shes' kinda pretty for a hunting dog. :wink:

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Hello from South Dakota!

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 am

Welcome and contgrats on the Prize I and, more importantly, on your first pheasant.

Greg J.

demi

Post by demi » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks for welcome. The first pheasant is the one that always tastes the best!

Nice looking GSP's, Howie! Not sure about the Invitational testing, she's a natural backer so we shall see. Sometimes it comes down to the expense of things... We tested the VHDF in Minneapolis. Awesome grounds and I really enjoyed the Federation testing. There are different things I like better about both NAVHDA and VHDF..but as far as having the dog evaluated, I really liked the Federation testing.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:49 am

Lori,
Officially welcome to the forum. You are a great addition! :D And it's always nice to have another Munsterlander on board.
I met with Scott who is the Pres. of the Rocky Mtn. NAVHDA. He invited me to their monthly training meet,in Aug., out at Cobb Lake. He seemed a bit impressed that Moses will water retrieve and hold point at the ripe old age of 5 mos. Who knows maybe he can follow in Desi's footsteps.
On the way home I turned from one country road to another and their was a gentleman bringing his dog back from a swim session. It was a beautiful 3 yr old Munster! I said hi and we had a chat about our favorite subject, LM's. :wink:
I also picked up two Chukar and we'll see what fun Moses and I can have with them. It'll be his first time trining with live birds. (Mine too!)
Again, great to have you both on board.
Denn
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

demi

Post by demi » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Howie, the host for the test was Autum Breeze Kennels owned by Ed Erickson. I think the same grounds will be used for the fall test.

Here's a pic of her on point during the evaluation--bird is out of the pic to the left. Lots of open space for field work and a great pond for water work.

Thanks Dennmore! Good luck with Moses and the chuckars. Live birds may add a different element to your training...Desi went through a phase where she realized she could catch the birds after pointing--even caught one coming out of a launcher...just one of things we had to work through.