New Member w Irish Red & White Setters

wbockman

New Member w Irish Red & White Setters

Post by wbockman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 am

Hi, my husband Ed and I live in PA, we currently have 4 Irish Red & White Setters. My husband likes to hunt with them so I'm learning to shoot so I can go too, but I'm also training the dogs with his help and a trainers also for field trials and hunt tests. Our Rylee will be two this fall and she has her JH. She'll be trained for Senior Hunter and compete when she is ready. Toir is our male. He'll be going in the show ring starting this fall and we're still determining which aspect of field work he will be best at. Right now he's best at marking every bush along the field. Emerald is my newest. I just adopted her at the age of 4 about 6 weeks ago. She was so out of shape and really didn't know anything. She's so eager to please and is picking up the training really quickly and she now runs like the wind. She's our best field trial prospect. We also recently aquired a pup that is half sister to Emerald. Abigail is only 5 months old so we are starting basic field work with her. We are lucky to have a training ground with a lot of nice people that are there almost every day and are willing to help out with not just advice but hands on help also.

I've been checking out the forum and it seems there are a lot of nice people here.

Wendy B

monksmom

Re: New Member w Irish Red & White Setters

Post by monksmom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Wendy! Glad to see you here! Dee (mother of Monk)

Where do you train?

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 am

Hi Wendy....good to see you here! Welcome to the forum :lol: Dee, Wendy trains out at Water N Wings. Where are you, Dee?

NC Quail Hunter and Myself are a couple of the other IRWS owners on here. Glad to have Miss Wendy aboard...she is really NEAT people!!

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 am

Hey Wendy
Welcome to the board. It is great to see that KiKi's Mom and I are not alone out there with IRWS. You ar going to have a great time on this board. There are some great people and this place is full of great information.
Welcome again and I look forward to hearing more from you.
NC Quialhunter
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 am

Welcome to GDF!

wbockman

Post by wbockman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 pm

monksmom wrote:Hi Wendy! Glad to see you here! Dee (mother of Monk)

Where do you train?

Hi DEEEEEEEE!!! Give Monk a hug for me.

As Helen said we train at Water N Wings. It is in Zionsville PA which is just south of Macungie/Emmaus, southern Lehigh County. My new girl Emerald is doing soooo good, I'm hoping by next year she'll be ready to compete in Field Trials, Some of the other dog owners have started to notice her now when she is running, makes me smile.

wbockman

Post by wbockman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:40 pm

NC Quailhunter wrote:Hey Wendy
Welcome to the board. It is great to see that KiKi's Mom and I are not alone out there with IRWS. You ar going to have a great time on this board. There are some great people and this place is full of great information.
Welcome again and I look forward to hearing more from you.
NC Quialhunter
Thanks, we went quickly from 2 to 4 and by next year we'll have added anothe pup to the mix, this is fun. Just the other day I got my first shotgun and learned how to use it. I took a Hunter Safety course a few years ago when my kids were taking it, figured if I was going to drive down and sit there I might as well sign up too, so I already know my safety stuff, and of course DH is always quick to review and remind us of safety.

The girls and I got to try it out on some clays, and I actually hit one. I was pleased since I haven't ever fired a shot gun before.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:59 pm

I went to your website and see that your pups and mine share alot of the same lineage. That is pretty cool. I look forward to reading about the trailing and conformation progress you make over the next year.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Welcome to GDF

monksmom

Post by monksmom » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 am

NC Quailhunter.../Wendy:

I'm not far from water n wings actually...I'm in Lancaster Co, PA...maybe we can train together some time. By the way, I do sporting clays too from time to time...not often enough to be that good...if I hit more than 50% I feel pretty good about it. Real birds are usually much easier!

wbockman

Post by wbockman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:21 am

monksmom wrote:NC Quailhunter.../Wendy:

I'm not far from water n wings actually...I'm in Lancaster Co, PA...maybe we can train together some time. By the way, I do sporting clays too from time to time...not often enough to be that good...if I hit more than 50% I feel pretty good about it. Real birds are usually much easier!
Hey Dee, if you want to bring Monk up for a visit sometime just let me know! We don't have an Spins that train with us! :D

pairishsetter

Post by pairishsetter » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi Everyone,
Glad to see someone is having success with Red and Whites. I was dealing with the Irish Setter Rescue and found one in New Jersey which when I went to see promptly bit my wife on the arm and lower lip. We still brought him home but found we couldnt keep him where there were any adults but us...... then we also found one in Kentucky but they werent socialized so we had to let her go also.... any time she decided she was unhappy she went to the kids' roomand took a giant dump.... so she had to leave also. I kept hearing that the original hunting bloodline for irish setters had been maintained in the red and whites.... kept hoping that I would get one that showed that. All we seemed to get was aggression with the ones we had.
I will keep reading your posts to see what you have to say. Perhaps the breeding stock wasnt the greatest?

I am about 45 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Thanks for your time. Hope to hear from you soon.

wbockman

Post by wbockman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:31 am

pairishsetter wrote:Hi Everyone,
Glad to see someone is having success with Red and Whites. I was dealing with the Irish Setter Rescue and found one in New Jersey which when I went to see promptly bit my wife on the arm and lower lip. We still brought him home but found we couldnt keep him where there were any adults but us...... then we also found one in Kentucky but they werent socialized so we had to let her go also.... any time she decided she was unhappy she went to the kids' roomand took a giant dump.... so she had to leave also. I kept hearing that the original hunting bloodline for irish setters had been maintained in the red and whites.... kept hoping that I would get one that showed that. All we seemed to get was aggression with the ones we had.
I will keep reading your posts to see what you have to say. Perhaps the breeding stock wasnt the greatest?

I am about 45 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Thanks for your time. Hope to hear from you soon.
I've heard there are some lines like that. Our one female was very protective of us but we've worked it out with her. The other 3, 2 female and 1 male are overly friendly, they love everyone. Some of it can also be the upbringing, it's best of you can meet both parents, of course that isn't always possible. I am located on the other side of the state from you, but you are more than welcome to visit. Helen (Kiki's mom) is closer to you, she has one male that is 3 years old and is trained for field trials, they are in the south west corner of PA. I drove out there for a visit, beautiful area, very hilly.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:17 am

Pairishsetter
My IRWS is one and she is the biggest love bug there is. When I first got her she was real timid and nervous around people. She has really come out of her shell and is excite to meet new people and she is inseperable from my son. The aggression part I never heard of in my research so far into the breed. Just like any breed I am sure there is a chance of aggresiveness. A lot of it may have to deal with breeding and the upbringing of the dog.
NCQ

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:17 pm

HI Pairirishsetter....

I'm down in Greene County, PA and am owned by the biggest love bug, flopsy-mopsy IRWS on the 8) planet. YES....the breed has some temperament issues within certain lines of dogs but for the most part I believe that there are more good ones then bad ones out there. You would be more then welcome to come visit Aidan sometime. Wendy and I are planning a breeding this Fall....Aidan and Emerald, if all goes well with the required health clearances. These pups are being planned with an eye towards getting them into really wonderful hunting homes.....but I won't feed you fantasy.....PUPPIES are a great deal of work and IRWS pups mature very, very SLOWLY :roll:

Come meet Aidan sometime....and get a feel for what the breed can really be all about :wink:

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:43 am

Helen
That should be a great pairing. I will be deployed at that time but please keep us all informed. Since I got my pup I have developed a real liking of this breed and I am really interested in following the progress of the breed.
Thanks
Brian
NCQ

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Wendy and I think so too. We got the thumbs up on the combo from our friend/mentor FT guru Terry O Leary in Ireland as well so we are very excited. Emerald's OFA came in with a GOOD rating today and Aidan is scheduled in at the end of the week for his X rays. We shall see :wink:

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 am

I am really glad to hear about the OFA grade rating for Emerald. I am sure Aidan will come back good also. I know this has nothing to do with me but I am excited for you guys and hope it all goes well. Keep us all informed.

wchua24

Post by wchua24 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:47 am

hello there welcome to the community enjoy your stay here. im also a newbie

wbockman

Post by wbockman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:04 am

wchua24 wrote:hello there welcome to the community enjoy your stay here. im also a newbie
Welcome to you too!

Wendy