Need help with forum search options

Jon

Need help with forum search options

Post by Jon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:56 pm

Can someone please tell me if you get good search results back when using the search option ?

I put in say" scent ability" and get back 973 post, but did not see one related to search keyword.

Let's say I'm looking for broken bones or leg injury. The search results don't return topics for the keyword I entered from what I can tell.

I was hoping a mod. could help me out.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:05 pm

Are you using this:

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/search.php

or the google search? The GDF search will give you better results.

Grant

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:21 pm

grant wrote:Are you using google search? The GDF search will give you better results.Grant
I am using GDF search

I type in "training sit" or "sit training" and didn't see any topics related to sit in the top say 10-20. There were like 500+ so I didn't look at all but figured I would find a few in the top 10 since I've seen the topic in the past.

I noticed this before but waited till now to ask for some help. Maybe I am missing something ?

I am leaving settings at ALL and Post time. Then I enter my keyword.

Am I missing something :?:

Thanks

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Try narrowing the search by selecting the radio button "Search for all terms." That will make it so that your search results will only list posts that contain the full search term and not just part of it.

Say, for example, you search "training sit." In the first case, you'll bring up all posts that use the words "training" or "sit." In the latter, you'll only bring up posts that use the words "training" and "sit."

That should help.

If anyone knows how to limit the search term results to topic titles and not message text, that may help too.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:31 pm

"use query as entered"

I would much rather search topic titles only, (first) when looking for a special subject but didn't see that option either.

The closes thing to that was topic and text so I went with that.

I thought if I entered sit training or training sit I would find a topic with training sit in the title under the top 10 results but I keep getting post from today listed in the top 5 that has nothing to do with my search from what I can tell.

I don't normally have a problem using google search engines but can't seem to find the info. I'm looking for using this one.

I really am serious about needing some help figuring this out if anybody can break it down. I'm not getting the results I think I should be.

I'll try "Search for all terms." and see if that helps.

Thanks