Boykin or American Water Spanial

B BUG

Boykin or American Water Spanial

Post by B BUG » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:16 pm

I had a Lab for many years and loved him dearly. After his passing I took a few years off. This past season I made it out with a friend and got the bug again, so now I am in the market for another waterdog. I am seriously considering going with a smaller dog for the retrieving duties. I think that I have read every thing on this site dealing with Boykins and American Water Spaniels and I really like what I hear. The one thing that I have not been able to figure out is which one would handle the colder water the best. I think that I read that the Boykins hair will not shed water like Labs and Chessies, however I have not seen anything about the AWS and their ability to shed water. I live in South Eastern Ohio and hunt the Ohio River. Generaly the water temp. is in the 40's (sometimes lower like this year) during the late season, however the air can be in the 20's easily.
My new dog will no doubt live in the house and I will do everything possible to make his or her hunting days as warm as possible in the blind. My question is this. Does one breed (of the two mentioned) have an edge over the other when it comes to water retrieves in cold weather?
Any new information,good or bad, on these two breeds is greatly appreciated.
And as a side note, we have 3 Britts already in the house that compete for time in the upland woods.
Thanks, Les

birdshot

Re: Boykin or American Water Spanial

Post by birdshot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 pm

i have never seen an AWS that was worried about the water temperature or the size of the water. I have owned a professionally trained Boykin back in the 80's that did not like cold water and especially disliked open water. Even in summer I could never get the boykin out of the boat in open water. She would hit small ponds with gusto and swam as well as any spaniel.

B BUG

Re: Boykin or American Water Spanial

Post by B BUG » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks, I apreciate all first hand experiences. I have been leaning toward the AWS however there seems to be slight issues with temperment toward outsiders (from what I have read) coming into the house. This is a two edge sword and nearly everyone agrees that interaction with people early is of the greatest importance in keeping this in check.
As always going with a breeder who has high standards is the best way to get quality in a pup, however my wife and I are trying to rescue and AWS or Boykin first and if that does not happen in the right time frame I will look into a purchase.
Les