need pup tips

newgspowner

need pup tips

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:03 pm

So we have a 12 week old pup he won't listen to me and just ignores me and runs to my wife idk what to do I'm starting to loose my cool and say the heck with training him for hunting

ibbowhunting

Re: need pup tips

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm

I bet if you properly train him, he will like you better then your wife :D

12 weeks old he's just a baby yet,
Last edited by ibbowhunting on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

I've read book read on here I've watched movies I'm doing everything that stuff tells me too idk if its Cuz she's at home most the day and just holds him of what

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:17 pm

who feeds him?

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Both but usually her Cuz I'm gone to work when we feed him

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:34 pm

http://www.kninebirddog.com/leader-or-friend.html

Puppy is learning all the time. :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Thank you both I'll have her read it Cuz the first part describes him

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Find some patience, if your at your wits end at 12 weeks its gonna be a rough road. You have to keep your cool, anger and frustration is easily telegraphed to
pup and he's running to the one who probably doesn't get like that with him, not to mention the wife is feeding him.

Great link Knine
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 pm

I was calm but lately its been getting to me

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:24 pm

At 12 weeks, what is he doing that is "wrong?" I don't expect any pup that age to come when called, sit, go outside when I want him to - or anything else really at that age. If he just isn't coming at all to you at any time, then clip a lightweight cord on his collar and gently urge him to come to you while using a treat as a bribe. They're really not too smart when that small, so the expectations you have might be too much. Make sure to get him outside with you off-leash on some good long walks - so he is used to checking in with you and finding you, not your wife.

That said, if he is really bonding with her, and she has to do the majority of the dog feeding, cleaning up, letting him out, etc. it's not such a bad thing. You want her to be happy with the new dog too - since it sounds like she has to do a lot of the care of him if she's spending that much time with him. She can be the mama at home and you can be the guy he hunts with. That works for my husband and I (only opposite). Our GSP is totally HIS dog in the house. But I hunt birds with her - she likes me just find when she knows I do the fun stuff - but at home, she is all a daddy's puppy.

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:10 pm

I try stuff like that and even treats he just says forget you and runs to mom . the ending helped a lot. I'm not saying he should point and fetch perfect or come every time but he listened a lot better a couple weeks ago. I was kinda venting I'm not really going to stop training but I was looking for help

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm

When I do use a light cord a urge him a little he runs the otherway

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 pm

When I do use a light cord a urge him a little he runs the otherway
Long cord should be at least 20 ft. Put a knot at the end of it so it can`t slip through your hand when he pulls it, but can`t pull it out of your hand. With the knot at your hand, when he is about to hit the end command Come. He will hit the end on his own, then turn away and walk. Hopefully he will see you going the other way and head to the front. Do this several times. When he does it give hims an Atta boy as he goes by or comes to you. For the record, I say Come when I want to touch the dog. I use Here when I want the dog to go with me or change directions. I do not say Come unless I actually want the dog to Come to me. You can also use your Feet for the cord. With the pup going away command Come and step on the cord. He will correct himself. When he comes to you praise him big time. If you put the cord on every time he goes out he will soon realize that you have control over him via the cord and will start to comply. I would also recommend that you do this alone with no wifey around so she is not part of the problem or at least you can`t blame your failures on her. Give a command once and enforce it. At this time the commands are Come, Kennel, Off, No, Here and possibly sit if it is a house dog.Keep everything fun and remember to smile even if you want to wring his neck. He knows when you are angry, sad, hurt and afraid. He is not going to come to you if you are angry. Take him for walks in the woods or fields, he will pay attention more to you in a new environment also.

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Thank you if he feels any resistance from the cord he will run away and pull

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 am

What is this pups temperament like? Is he bold, or timid? tail always up or tail always down? Interaction with other pups or dogs? Hard to tell from a computer but I think there is more going on that what we are discussing. Sounds like a typical pup that was not socialized by the breeder and is confused.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:08 am

Our dogs all think mom is best, until dad puts on the field gear; boots, ecollar, whistle, blank gun, bird bag. Then it's who is that woman?

Suggest signing up for a puppy training class, ideally a clicker class. Wife stays home... Just you and dog.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 am

All great advise here but i'd shy away from any puppy class....never heard tell of a good one and how many have any understanding
of birddogs? none. i wouldn't want someone taking advice from a pet dog "trainer" that has no idea how what they suggest might affect
real training later.

It really shouldn't be too difficult to get a handle on pup. remember its an infant and will go thru stages, stay consistent, even tempered and
pup will work itself out.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:37 am

birddog1968 wrote:All great advise here but i'd shy away from any puppy class....never heard tell of a good one and how many have any understanding
of birddogs? none. i wouldn't want someone taking advice from a pet dog "trainer" that has no idea how what they suggest might affect
real training later.

It really shouldn't be too difficult to get a handle on pup. remember its an infant and will go thru stages, stay consistent, even tempered and
pup will work itself out.

We just helped a family get their dog over some "pet store training" at the Rick Smith Seminar Dog went from being a soft wall flower to a happy content dog that was wanting to go hunting by the end of the weekend and the wife was much happier as she was a leader not just push over thinking she had to reward the dog with a treat or a pet with every thing :roll:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

newgspowner

Post by newgspowner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Lots of help thank lots and he is pretty happy almost always tail up or wagging

Senah

Post by Senah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:33 am

We found the tips in the Gowdey book about GSPs really useful. That said, it was really rough going with our male GSP until he was about 6 months old, and then he really began to shine. We have both made time to take him out on long walks and adventures independently so that he understands and respects us as individuals, in addition to the time in the field we are all together. We were very, very consistent in what we both did (we both read the training books before hand, agreed on mutual commands and hand signals, and the house rules to be followed without exception).

I think perhaps my husband was a bit easier on him in the beginning, but he especially got frustrated at the 12 weeks mark (there was a conversation about letting him run away and never come back, or shipping him back to the breeder :| ). It was really, really tough (especially getting a puppy during a Montana winter and making him go out and train). But, the consolation prize is that now we have an amazingly well performing dog who listens to us, and loves being out with us in the field. I haven't yet met a dog outside that is more energetic and excited/happy, but that is as compliant.

Hang in there - it is tough at least until 6 months, and then after 12 months you have to deal with a teenager. But if you keep your cool, are both consistent in what you are asking of the dog and how you interact, and get the dog out for good exercise daily and long periods out at least 2 times a week, you'll be pleasantly surprised at where you end up.