Newbie to gun dogs and I have some questions

Diogenes

Newbie to gun dogs and I have some questions

Post by Diogenes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Greetings,

My name is Matthew and I'm in Birmingham, AL. I recently moved back to Alabama after spending several years in the Washington, DC area. I'm new to gun dogs, in fact I've never really owned one. I've always been a bulldog guy and I've owned both french and english bulldogs in the last decade. I'm an avid hunter of game species found in the Southeast, and I'd like to expand that to upland birds and other species as well. My last (and first) English Bulldog is a bit long of tooth, and I'm thinking about getting a gun dog for my next companion when her time finally comes. A few other things about me, I'm 31 years old, I'm a nurse at a major academic medical center, and I have small children at home.

In Alabama we don't hunt a lot of upland birds. In the 1970s quail were the most abundant and often hunted game species, but their numbers have declined and uncoordinated management efforts have not produced a large huntable population outside of pricey private plantations. As a result, big game, doves, small game, and turkeys are our primary game species. We have some duck hunting in the northern and southern parts of the state, but good duck hunting mostly requires a drive to the Mississippi flyway be it Arkansas or elsewhere. We can't hunt turkeys with dogs, and its rather warm here during dove season. Rabbit hunting is fairly common with beagles being the most common breed. A lot of people hunt deer and feral hogs with bay dogs and hounds. I'm looking for a dog that will retrieve doves for me in hot weather, retrieve ducks in water that seldom freezes, flush rabbits, blood track game, alert me to presence of strangers around the home, house train easily, and mind its manners around toddlers. You know...the perfect dog. =) We're fairly active, but we also work long hours so a dog that enjoys hiking, playing with kids, and hunting would be great, but I'd rather not have a super high strung dog that's going to require hours of throw the ball everyday. I live in a suburb and have a large fenced in back yard, and we have a family farm on 47 acres where the dog will be spending some time.

Here's the breeds I have in mind and the potential issues:

1. Pudelpointer: sounds like it would fit the bill, but I can't find a breeder in the southeast.

2. Deutsche Drahthaar: sounds like it would also fit the bill, there are a couple breeders within easy driving distance including in-state, but I keep hearing about aggressive dogs that aren't that great around kids. I really like the appearance of the dog and the history.

3. German short hair: sounds great, but I hear that they may have the highest exercise requirements of any breed. Breeders are fairly common, I like the coat for hot alabama weather, and I love the appearance of the dog.

4. Chesapeake Bay retriever: I encountered this dog living in Maryland. I'm a U of Maryland grad and I have a lot of connections to the state. I befriended a chessie that was a therapy dog in one of the hospitals I've worked in. I think they're gorgeous, more interesting and rare than other retriever breeds, but also hear they're hard to train and can be nippy with children. I'm also concerned that the coat may be too heavy for Alabama weather (100% humidity, and 100+ degree temps during dove season). In short, seems like a winter duck dog and I live in a mild climate with a small duck population.

5. Labrador/ Golden retrievers: fits the bill in a lot of ways and great as a family dog, super common to the point of being boring and difficult to find good hunting dog stock. Might get too hot in Alabama weather. Not such a great watch dog.

6. Boykin spaniels: sounds good, a little on the small/feminine side, 37% hip dysplasia prevalence in the breed? no thanks. As a bulldog owner I'm acquainted with lots of vet bills. I don't mind them, but I'd rather not have my own personal parking space at the specialty vet clinic. I think I bought my veterinary orthopedic surgeon a new boat, and the vet ophthalmologist sends me Christmas cards. Must be a relatively healthy breed.

7. english cocker spaniel: beautiful dogs but again not as masculine as I'd like. Seems a bit too small to retrieve ducks on big water like the Tennessee river. Might be a good dove dog.

Honorable mentions that aren't considered gun dogs:

1. catahoula leopard dog: well adapted to the climate, smart, not a bird dog, not a natural retriever, fairly easy to find, good on rabbits, good blood tracking dog, best bay dog around for big game. I've heard that they can be trained to retrieve ducks, but I've never encountered that. High exercise requirements.

Sorry for the long winded post, but that's where I'm I am at the moment. I am open to suggestions and feedback.

Mark Newman

Re: Newbie to gun dogs and I have some questions

Post by Mark Newman » Mon May 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Dear Newbie,
I'm sorry to see nobody else has responded to your question. You have quite a list there. I really don't know much about all of the other breeds but I have a German Shorthair Pointer. He is 3-1/2 years old and he is the best dog I have ever had. He is beautiful and what an athlete! He loves kids but as you say they have loads of energy which tends to freak out our great nephews since he is as tall as they are and he is moving at high velocity in zig zags or circles. Throw the stick or ball! They have great play drive and hunting drive. You are right they require a lot of exercise. But the list of things you would like to use your dog for are going to require a lot of field training time anyway so I would think you would be able to give him (or her) the needed exercise. The length of coat would be perfect. My GSP can pretty much run and hunt 4-6 hours straight (with water breaks) in the fall and early winter here in Wisconsin and the Dakotas. But in the heat of the summer, even with that short hair, he can make it 20 minutes and flops down in the shade or cool mud to cool himself like any longhair would do. He loves water and retrieves great in it. You can't go wrong with a GSP but my wife is not so thrilled with what he has done to our wood floors. She just added, "He is a major shedder"! Good luck with your choice.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Tue May 27, 2014 7:04 am

Wrong thread.

uno676

Post by uno676 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm

My two cents I got a GSP almost 2 months ago and she has alot of.energy but not as bad as people lead you to believe. I'm not sure if I have enough experience with her yet but she is a good dog and she is good with kids but maybe overwhelming for small children under 5. My 5 year.old at times cant handle her play a little rough for him.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Consider America Brittany. They are extremely hi energy outside but when they come into the house, they flop down like a lap dog. I had big GSP for 15 years and Britts for the last 18. Two different Britts lived with the wife and I in a 5th wheel for 2 years as we toured the US, Canada and Alaska twice. Love the breed.