From NH to Oklahoma

Settertude

From NH to Oklahoma

Post by Settertude » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:02 am

Hello folks--haven't visited for a while.
Just moved to Grove, Oklahoma from New Hampshire and I'm looking forward to new adventures hunting different birds in different terrain.
Big country out this way and I was pleased to learn that there is some decent trout water not far as well.

I'm a semi-retired taking a break from residential remodeling getting ready for our first upland season in the area--guy.

:-)

zrp

Re: From NH to Oklahoma

Post by zrp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Welcome to Oklahoma.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 am

zrp wrote:Welcome to Oklahoma.
Thanks, zrp.

I see you hunt a setter. How does he/she hold up in the heat?

I own a Llewellin and am planning on a spring or early summer pup and English Setters have my heart, but I admit to considering another breed.

Deets

Post by Deets » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:23 pm

I grew up in Oklahoma, unfortunately you on the wrong side of the state for quail hunting, but western OK is still not that far away. I really liked Fern Cooper, and Packsaddles WMA. Your also not far from done good quail hunting in The Kansas flint hills. You should hook up with the Tulsa Bird Dog association. They have fun field trials. As far as trout, lower mountain fork is the best in my opinion.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 am

I'm considering heading toward the OK panhandle to find walk-in access and the Flint Hills.

I found this on the Kansas site.

Quail – Quail hunting in the Flint Hills should be comparable to last year. The region recorded a record index of whistling bobwhites this spring and the highest regional whistling index in 2017. While summer roadside counts were slightly decreased compared to 2016, hunting is expected to be good. Regional reports indicate good bird numbers, very good cover, and weather that likely promoted production. Additionally, carryover birds from high spring densities will help maintain opportunity this year. Quail densities will be limited in the core of the Flint Hills, where large-scale annual burning and chemical control of shrubs has removed key components of quail habitat. The southern half of the region recorded the highest roadside indices this year.

Can you suggest a decent starting point on the southern edge? What to look for in terms of accessible land and such.
In the northeast--basically, if it isn't posted, you can hunt it. That reasoning is based on old colonial laws dictated by folks relying on subsistence hunting...so if not posted=hunt away.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks a bunch, zrp and coop.
I had a great weekend and your willingness to mentor is over the top.
Looking forward to more walking the dogs and chasing those cute little birds.
:D
Llewellins Rule!

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 pm

You and Tucker are welcome with us anytime. Meeting new hunting buddies and their pups and learning from their experiences is what it's all about. Plus Coop's heard all my lies before. If you hadn't been there to carry some of the storytelling load, I would have been forced to exaggerate and embellish an actual event just to keep up with those clowns. Were you in the room when Lynn claimed to kill his 10 bird limit over a brace of britannys named Fats and Ann on one covey rise? Come on Lynn.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:18 am

zrp wrote:You and Tucker are welcome with us anytime. Meeting new hunting buddies and their pups and learning from their experiences is what it's all about. Plus Coop's heard all my lies before. If you hadn't been there to carry some of the storytelling load, I would have been forced to exaggerate and embellish an actual event just to keep up with those clowns. Were you in the room when Lynn claimed to kill his 10 bird limit over a brace of britannys named Fats and Ann on one covey rise? Come on Lynn.
Ha ah...I think I missed that, but I do recall the same tone in another story.
Storytelling is half the fun!

Btw...I’m still working on a way to properly and fantastically embellish the pack rat story.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:18 am

Well---it took a while, but I finally got around to telling the pack rat story.
I think I got it right...mostly.

I'm haunted by the ghost of absconded quail.

zrp

Post by zrp » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:36 pm

I can attest to the accuracy of the packrat story on your blog. It was a very modest version though.
For perspective, where we were hunting that day had lots of low sagebrush or sand plum cover but very little cover tall enough to impede a shot. This particular covey was loafing in a patch of thick, gnarly blackjacks that had vines growing in them. From where I stood, it looked like a wall of flora so dense a 7 1/2 wouldn't sneak through. But the old grouse chaser was in his element there. The Llews did their job. The covey rose. He mounted, swung and fired and made a quick, clean kill. I think his pattern sort of hooked around the trees like a good golf shot. We all had a good mark on the bird, as did the dogs, but it was gone by the time we got there. The dogs buried their noses deep in a packrat nest and we knew the bird was in there. Despite our best efforts, we weren't able to repossess our bobwhite from the packrat

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:03 am

You tell the story much better than I.
I never could have imagined a rat thief.

I’ve seen a wing broke grouse hide in a stone wall and an abandoned den, but that on their own locomotion.
We have never competed with a rat for possession.

The dogs and I have discussed it thoroughly and have strategized a win.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:44 pm

time to bring out the Jack Russell :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Sharon wrote:time to bring out the Jack Russell :)
LOL--I'm not tellin'.