Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

A little about you...

Re: A little about you...

Postby Feedbag55 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello, my name is Marcus and I live in North Fort Worth. I am 42 years old and have spent the last 18 years in the US Navy. I grew up hunting wild pheasants in Northern California, back when you could find birds there. Always had springers as a kid, the were just never trained beyond what they did naturally. I now have a 15 month old FBECS and she is fantastic. While I am certainly a novice trainer and probably the dogs biggest limitation, her desire and instincts continue to amaze me. Have had some great assistance from a local Spaniel club and look forward to continuing to learn and working to develop my dog. Thank you for including me in this group.
Feedbag55

Postby adrianastepheny » Sun May 20, 2018 1:11 am

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does. Christopher Morley

Hi, I am Adriana Stepheny, a freelance content writer- totally in love with the idea of putting down life experiences to words. The world is my muse and I love the outdoors and nature. I have given my heart to two adorable Shih Tzu and you can learn more about us and my writings here
adrianastepheny

Postby Yellow Dog1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 am

20171110_134615Darla Pheasant Hunt.jpg
20171110_134615Darla Pheasant Hunt.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 148 times
My name is Vince and I am from Alvinston Ontario Canada and currently the Property Manager for a mid size municipality. I am in my eary 50's and have been hunting on and off for the last 40 plus years. I have been happily married for 30 years and have three grown children . I have had a variety of working dogs over the years that included, Labs, Irish Setter and 21 working Siberian Huskies that i trained for recreational sledding and later to compete in dog sled racing. Most recently have switched over to UK working Labrador Retrievers(breeding), English Springer Spaniel and a new addition in the spring of 2019 a UK working English Cocker Spaniel. I do not compete in field trials but I train as if I do because of my competative nature. I am always looking for new training methods or improving on past methods and focus on building a strong bond with my working dogs. My hunting companions are family members first and live in our home. I enjoy pheasant hunting, rabbit, grouse, duck, goose, pigeon and turkey hunting.
Yellow Dog1

Postby Sharon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm

WElcome Vince! Nice to have another Canadian here. :)
Sharon
GDF Junkie

Postby Yellow Dog1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 am

Thanks Sharon ! Nice to be talking to you again. :D
Yellow Dog1

Postby Novice123 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I am 65 years old and will purchase a French Brittany pup in June, 2019. Back in the early 1970's I had an English Pointer that I later sold to be a field trial dog. Then I purchased a GSP named 'Shot' that I really, really enjoyed. I trained Shot myself on wild pheasants in Central Illinois. Shot was very steady to point, but paid no attention to a downed bird. I want to train my own French Brittany on wild birds and teach her to retrieve. I want to hunt, Sharptail, Ruff Grouse and pheasants. I am a soybean breeder in North Dakota. I am married and have 3 step-sons and 3 grandsons. I have learned a lot from this forum and purchased 'Perfect Start' DVD as well as a Jeremy Moore video on obedience training for a puppy.
Novice123

Postby Parkite » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Hello GDF! New member here. Long time big game hunter who did some upland game hunting decades ago, but now I am getting back into birds. I'm looking to getting into hunting Chukar and grouse, which are the most common birds in my area. I might do some waterfowl hunting later on.

How old are you?? Late 30's... I feel old answering this.
Male or Female?? male
What do you do for a living?? At the moment I'm in the military hanging out in Afghanistan. I will eventually be back home being a self employed engineer.
How long you been hunting/shooting?? 30 years
What kind of hunting do you do?? Right now only elk, but trying to get into Chukar and grouse.
What kind of dog(s) do you have?? None right now, but I will likely be purchasing a German Shorthair Pointer.
How long have you had dogs?? I grew up with Brittanies and doing field trials, however I absolutely will NOT be doing that at first.
You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this?? NO!
Parkite

Previous

Return to New Members: Please Introduce Yourself