Just a pup

billc

Just a pup

Post by billc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Hello, I am new to this board and from what I see so far it seems to have a lot of good information. I do most of my bird hunting in the Western Mountains of Maine for Woodcock & Grouse. After hunting over my friends dogs for many years, I think it is almost time for me to get my own.

I am looking for a brittany, I am undecided on french or American. I would also like to have the kennel closer to where I live so I can visit the kennel and utilize them as another resource for raising my puppy. My friends got their puppies from kennels that were not local.

I am in Northeastern Massachusetts now, but I do most of my hunting in Maine & New Hampshire.

I am sure I have a lot of reading to do in the forums, so I better get to it.

Thanks
BC

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi Bill, welcome to GDF......

We are pretty new ourselves here but are really enjoying the place...Theres a whole lot of friendly knowledgeable folks here

I think you'll have a great time :)
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:33 pm

kiki's mom is in PA Wildmtn Brittanys she is on this site and there are other quality breeders
There is Rick Smith in VA he has a male available in his litter which are almost a month old. I can Pm you hisnumber if your intersted

Little further away ohmymy his Vern sired a litter...I can tell you Vern is an extremely nice french britt and would be the first person Iwould go to for the french brittany he has the litter posted on the for sale area
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Bill...I'M Ma guy too...when were you thinking about a new pup?

billc

Post by billc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:14 pm

BigBoyTank wrote:Hi Bill...I'M Ma guy too...when were you thinking about a new pup?
Probably Spring of this year. Late March, early April, I still have a bit of reading/research to do about training and so on. I want to make sure I know as much as I can before jump in.

billc

Post by billc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:18 pm

kninebirddog wrote:kiki's mom is in PA Wildmtn Brittanys she is on this site and there are other quality breeders
There is Rick Smith in VA he has a male available in his litter which are almost a month old. I can Pm you hisnumber if your intersted

Little further away ohmymy his Vern sired a litter...I can tell you Vern is an extremely nice french britt and would be the first person Iwould go to for the french brittany he has the litter posted on the for sale area
I will make sure I look them up. The wife has family in Erie, PA so I have made the 8 drive from where I am to PA many times. Thanks for the recommendations.
BC

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 pm

You can find Wild Mtn Brittanys at
http://www.wildmtnbrittanys.com/
Brian and Helen have some nice dogs and have a good training program as well. I know they are doing a great job with my male brittany!

Mav......
kninebirddog wrote:kiki's mom is in PA Wildmtn Brittanys she is on this site and there are other quality breeders

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:05 am

Welcome to the forum BC!

We have two males available, born October 17, both liver and white. Both are going to be good little hunting dogs as we have started to take them on "outings and adventures" already. You can see the pedigree etc...on our website.

AS far as something LOCAL to you, I'd look to Ben Lorenson for something that might be available. He is a Brittany PRO and he runs a training camp up in Maine during the summer months which is when you would be most likely needing the help. I'll dig around and get a phone number for you if like, although Ben is down South right now just starting his Spring field trial circuit.

Ray Gorman is also an excellent resource for you, He is in New Hampshire and is an avid grouse hunter and cover dog trialler himself. a super guy....and has some nice dogs. Don;t know if he has any pups or plans for pups tho.

and Finally, Linda Mc Cartney -Roy of Triumphant Kennels has some hunting companions available once in a while too. She is mainly a show breeder but she does put out some nice dogs with good companion hunting potential. She too, is in New Hampshire.

If you want shoot me a Private message and I'll get you all the contact info.

Welcome to the board once again. We look forward to hearing all about your new pup when you find one that fits the bill!!
Last edited by Kiki's Mom on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:46 am

Welcome to GDF!

Greg J.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:40 am

Kiki's Mom wrote:
AL Gorman is also an excellent resource for you, He is in New Hampshire and is an avid grouse hunter and cover dog trialler himself. a super guy....and has some nice dogs. Don;t know if he has any pups or plans for pups tho.
I know Bill Gorman and Ray Gorman, but I've never heard of Al Gorman.

Ray Gorman is the Brittany coverdog guy in NH and has some really nice dogs. I believe he was planning a litter out of his Daisy dog, who I've had the pleasure of training with and watching run at some trials. VERY nice dog.

Welcome to the board and best of luck in your search!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:19 am

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:58 am

Al Gorrow...Ray Gorman....honest mistake....thanks for pointing out my mistake so promptly, Karen. :wink:

Yes...I edited my post to reflect the CORRECT name.....so there you have it. Get in touch with Ray...I'm sure Karen has his number.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:13 pm

PM me if you want Ray's number.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Firstarrow

Post by Firstarrow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Welcome,

There is so much to absorb from the collective wisdom on this site.
Lots of quality people who care about the gundog breeds!

billc

Post by billc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:47 pm

Firstarrow wrote:Welcome,

There is so much to absorb from the collective wisdom on this site.
Lots of quality people who care about the gundog breeds!
I am amazed at the all info and people willing to help each other.

Thanks to everyone so far, I just ordered the Delmar Smith Book, so that will hopefully be a good resource to start with and I will try and get in touch with some of the people everyone has recommended.

Thanks
BC

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Rick Smith Delmars son has a couple of puppy development DVDs

though he has a nice set up you can get a good idea of some desire behaviors to help a pup learn from the start
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.