New Member from PA

Gridiron and Grouse

New Member from PA

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:50 pm

Hello. I have some knowledge and past experience with bird dogs, but I know I still have a TON to learn. Both of my grandfathers were avid hunters and hunted over English Pointers and Brittanys. In my early teens I had a Brittany that I trained and hunted over. She wasn't the worlds greatest hunter, but not bad for a dog trained by a kid. As I got busier with sports we hunted less and eventually she simply became a pet and I left for school and she stayed with the family.

Now I've graduated and am spending my first year in the real world. I'm taking this year to acclimate to my job, coaching, etc and really compile knowledge on training etc so that I'm ready for a pup next year. I live in Northwest Pa. I'm extremely interested in a Vizsla any information on the breed anyone can pass along to me would be appreciated. I've read a lot so far, but there is always more.

I look forward to learning from and talking to all of you.

Idaho Outlaw

Post by Idaho Outlaw » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum! Lot's of great information can be obtained here.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Welcome to GDF Gridiron...........Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Welcome to GDF. I LOVE your handle! Gridiron and Grouse, perfect! Caught that you are a coach. What grade? Look to Linden's Kennels ( OH?) for a good Viszla, they put out some extremely nice dogs. There is also a breeder in Kansas who occasionally has pups. He puts out some really nice dogs too. His name s Dustin Oches and his most famous dog is/was DryCreek's Pappo-Matic ( Pappy sadly passed away last year to cancer).

Glad to have ya on board here.

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:17 am

Thanks for the "Welcoming". Kiki thanks for the Vizsla breeder info. I teach phys. ed. at the elementary school, and coach at the high school. If anyone else has any breeders or bloodlines I should look into I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 am

Welcome to the GDF ... Vizsla's are great dogs :D

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:12 am

Born2hunt

I'm assuming you have a Vizsla or Vizslas. Any breeders or bloodlines you think I should look into? Thanks

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:27 am

It depends on who you talk to, but I like the Rebel Rouser line ... Click on Gunners Pedigree below he has some good lines in him ...

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:27 am

Glad to have you here at the forum!!!!!!!

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:45 am

Gridiron,

Being in PA your fortunate to be relatively close to several top Vizsla Breeders in the US. Linden's Vizslas in OH, Midnight Run Vizslas in MI, Gordon Long in PA, Homeagain Vizslas(Bill Linnig) in KY...so when the time is right for you to pick out a pup I'm sure we can point you in the right direction. My wife and I were started with our first vizsla by Denny and Linda Keeton of Linden Vizslas...you won't find two nicer people in the breed.

I know you sent me a PM on my litter I have coming up and I'm sure you have more questions than the two you asked. My phone number is in the PM give me a call and I can get into detail about what bloodlines to look at and if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help.
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:15 am

Matt

I really appreciate the help! I'm so antsy to get one, but I know that I need to wait until next spring so i can do the dog justice. I'm figuring I will probably need to get on a waiting list at somepoint this summer. I will definitely get ahold of you sometime to get some advice. Thank you again for the help. I REALLY appreciate it.