Greetings from snowy (yes, still) Anchorage, Alaska!

Killer Instinct

Greetings from snowy (yes, still) Anchorage, Alaska!

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Hello! Stumbled on your Forum while searching for some tidbits in assistance in training my field bred English Springer Spaniel Abby. She's 10 months old as of today. She keeps me on my feet, that's for sure! I've never hunted birds before, but with Abby's attitude & eagerness, how could I not give it a whirl? Even went out yesterday & bought my first shotgun - Beretta Silver Pidgeon 28 gauge....
Thank you in advance for this forum - keep up the good advice!
Tammy :)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:57 am

Welcome to GDF!

Greg J.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:02 am

Welcome to the GDF.

We just had about 9 inches of snow with winds to 60 mph last weekend here in Minne-snow-ta. Luckily it warmed up to the 50s again this week so the snow is pretty much gone.

My brother-in-law and nephews have springers and just love 'em for pheasants and grouse.

Mark

BadShot

Post by BadShot » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:23 am

Hi. This is a GREAT forum! I also have an ESS. My DEVIL DOG will be 2ys old this July. They sure are a ball of energy, but TONS of fun! She had a pretty good fall grouse hunting. Took her to a couple game farms pheasant hunting over the winter, boy, that SURE did bring the "birdie" out in her. We can't wait till this fall. :D

Tammy

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:48 am

I have been to Alaska many times. I love the Seward area. You should be seeing Kings in some of the rivers in about a month, I would guess.

What do you plan on hunting up there, with a bird dog?

And is the 28 going to help you with the bears?

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Welcome to GDF

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:And is the 28 going to help you with the bears?
If I've learned anything on my trips to AK, it is a fairly simple rule.....you can take on any bear with any gun....but it is best to file off the front sight first.... :wink:
Last edited by PrairieGoat on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Welcome to GDF!..........scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:30 pm

Hope to hunt anything that moves & here's hoping I hit it! They have grouse & ptarmingan (spelling?) here .... I don't have to worry about hitting a bear with the 28 I figure - I just have to run faster than the husband! :lol: Yes, fishing season should start up on the Russian River (finest combat fishin' around) 3rd - 4th week of June. We try to avoid that and go offshore in our boat for halibut & salmon & shrimp & clams & etc..... - oh, yeah, & the bears.....!
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

huntcrazy_1

Post by huntcrazy_1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Welcome to GDF and it is good to see more women on these type of site's. My wife and I love to hunt together and I think that women bring something diferent to hunting (kind of a whole new perspective) as long as they can hang with the boys and not be some kind of cry baby. The only problen hunting with your wife is that she has a gun handy. :lol:
I have been hunting almost every day of my life, the rest have just been wasted!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:51 am

We will be up there in a month taking our first vacation that does not include any dogs:) CAN'T WAIT! We have a puppy buyer that has one of our pups in Anchorage I think we are hooking up with June 5th before we leave.
brenda

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 pm

snips wrote:We will be up there in a month taking our first vacation that does not include any dogs:) CAN'T WAIT! We have a puppy buyer that has one of our pups in Anchorage I think we are hooking up with June 5th before we leave.
Are your puppy buyers part of the club called Arctic Bird Dog Association? I might know who they are if they are members (I'm one). As of today (April 23rd), the snow is just about gone in the city. May will be a little warmer that it is now - 50's.... for us that's time to wear shorts.... :D If you like to fish, hook up with a charter in Seward or Deep Creek for Halibut ($13.99/lb in our stores here)..... If you need more ideas, I can give you a run down of things to do..... Enjoy your stay!

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:35 pm

I can see that "killer instinct" in that dogs eyes!!! :wink: I don't know if they are, I will have to email them and find out. They were transferred up there in the fall after getting the pup.
brenda

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:50 am

Welcome to the Gun Dog Forum!!!!!!!!

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:40 pm

snips wrote:I can see that "killer instinct" in that dogs eyes!!! :wink: I don't know if they are, I will have to email them and find out. They were transferred up there in the fall after getting the pup.
Yeah, she certainly has that bird instinct! She's also in training as our official "Boat & fishin'" dog - where we can tell her "Get that salmon" & she'll jump out & walk on water & grab it & bring it back :D .... yes, I know, wishful thinkin', but a girl can dream!

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby