A little about you...

DGR

Re: A little about you...

Post by DGR » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:09 pm

31. Live in Southern California. Done a bit of upland hunting, only pheasant, quail and dove, and never really with a dog. Never any waterfowl hunting. Always wanted a lab. Finally got one, and I am anxious to get her squared away.

43x

Post by 43x » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Retired , training and hunting as many days as I can !!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 pm

new here and to gun dog training. just got a GSP last month, she's six months old now. i hunt quail, chukar, dove, deer, grouse. looking forward to training and hunting with my new friend Lucy.

xtrema2

Post by xtrema2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm 28 years old and am a heavy equipment mechanic. I've hunted just about everything there is to hunt in western Ky since I was little. We bird hunted mostly when I was younger but our dog died and we never got another until now. I had a 17 month old registered pointer give to me, he still needs a little training but is a pretty good dog overall. There aint many wild coveys around here anymore but we did manage to find one last weekend.

RustyGSP

Post by RustyGSP » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:20 am

I'm 39, married with two daughters work for a Environmental Engineering Firm. I have 4 year old lab and a 8 week old German Short Hair. This is my first pointer, but my 3rd lab. I'm fairly new to Pheasant and Quail hunting, but have Duck and Deer hunted my whole life. I live in Louisiana and make three to four trips to Kansas and Nebraska each of the last two years.

A buddy of mine has gotten me into bird hunting. He owns a Vizsla and we have been hunting behind her this last season. I really enjoy watching the dogs work.

Jac

Post by Jac » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Ladies never give their age but I"m married and we have 3 children who keep us very busy. I'm a Certified Veterinary Technician and my husband and I live in God's Country. We hunt ruff grouse, woodcock and duck here, need to leave the state for pheasants or hit the game farm. I also live to deer hunt, both gun and bow. We currently have 4 brittanys. I do competition with 2 of them and this spring the youngest will be ready also, so 3 to work. I show, do obedience, hunt test and field trials. We have one dog that is a MH and another that is 2 legs shy of her MH. I got hooked on field trials when my first bred by brittany placed in a trial as a pup. She has multiple juvenille placements and 2 adult points in Amateur. One of my up and coming dogs has multiple juvenielle placemets along with his derby points. I am excited to hit the trials this spring and am hoping to get the last 2 MH legs for my girl so she can keep on trialing. We do breed on occasion, our website to view our dogs is http://www.drjacsbrittanys.com I'm excited to find this group :D
Dr Jac's Mortisha CDX SH (4 MH legs, 1 major from CH, BOB winner) Deceased
Int CH MC's Fred Bear O'Dee MH
Int CH Dr Jac's Bazooka Belle MH- multiple juvenille field trial placements, 2 adult AFC points
Int CH Dr Jac's TruGriz Master Yoda O'Dee JH -multiple juvenille field trial placements, derby points- 2011 American Brittany Club Central Futurity Dual dog winner
Granmar's Sweet Dreams- up and coming

3senough

Post by 3senough » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

42, married FA of three. An 8 yr old boy and twin 1 yr olds. Have our first GSP pup, Sadie. I've handled narcotic K9s before but never a gun dog. I've been able to incorporate alot of the training experience I've had but I'm still learning the ropes on the bird dog side of things. We've been thrilled with Sadie's intelligence and surprised at some unexpected things like what appears to be a natural protective side to her when strangers come to the door.

Probably won't post much but I hope to learn some things.

Dave n ozzy

Post by Dave n ozzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi I'm Dave, I'm 49 and live in PA; married with two adult children. I own a mix between a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a Golden retriever. We rescued him in April 2010 from CBR Rescue (a great organization). He turned 2 on Christmas Day. He came to us with no training and very little obedience training. He came from a good back ground (not abused) the person just didn't have the time for him. He is a great dog, very smart and loving. Hopefully he will be a great hunter someday. I am training him myself for waterfowl but he has proven to be a pretty good upland dog as well.

esetter34

Post by esetter34 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:18 am

I am 53 years old married with 4 children and 4 grandchildren. I live in new market tn. We milk sheep and farm for a living presently have 500 ewes.
I started hunting grouse when i was 12 with my uncle. have been hunting grouse quail and some pheasants every since.I also field trial english setters. We breed a couple litters a year and usually have a few puppies or started dogs to sell every year. We have some sucess with our dogs both on walking and horseback circuts. We like to think we breed really great hunting dogs that can also win field trials, after all they are bird dogs meant to find and handle wild game. I like to think we have a little insight into breeding dogs. I am a university of tennessee grad with major in animal science with minor in genetics.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:25 am

Welcome to GDF!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 am

Name: Rob
Marital Status: Married
Children: 2 Boys
Dogs: 1 GSP

I've been hunting since I was 18. I bowhunt & birdhunt at this point in my life. I love field trialing with my young Derby- she'll be getting broke out once her recent injury heels up. I coach baseball and watch my boys play soccer & study Tae Kwon Do.

I like training my GSP- she's been easy to train so far. My dream hunt would be going to Namibia for a Cape Buffalo Bow Hunt.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Red

Post by Red » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi, My Name is Richard
Marital Status: Married
Dogs: 1 Deutsch Kurzhaar

I have been hunting deer for 23 years, got into bird hunting about 12 years ago. Getting a new pup in a few weeks, this will be my 3rd bird dog...
First dog I only had for a year, He cut his ear, took him to the vet to get stitched up, long story short, Vet gave my dog too much anastasia and the dog never came out of it. :(
My 2nd GSP I had three year and had to give him away due to divorce, couldn't find a place that would let me keep him. :x
When I'm not hunting I'm fishing, fresh and salt water...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

krdavis2513

Post by krdavis2513 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey all! My name is Kyle, I'm 27 years old and from California. I have hunted most of my life, I hunt mainly deer, pheasant, dove, quail, chucker, and duck. Sometimes pig and turkey but not as often. I have a young 5 month old chocolate lab. I'm new to dog training so any and all advice is more then welcome.

burke

Post by burke » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:02 am

51 year old male living and working in Alaska.
Grew up hunting paaatridge in Vermont. Eventually, I landed in Montana and spent twelve years there. That is where I really learned the potential of dogs in the field. I had owned dogs and hunted them before but they were mostly companions who occasionally found a bird or fetched a bird I shot. Now I do not care to hunt birds without a dog...not the same. I could walk the fields and bump birds and shoot them, but not interested. I could retrieve my own geese in a grain field...not interested. Since I have learned about training dogs I have had two Weimarners, one Chesapeake and currently I have a Brittany and a Wire-Haired Pointing Griffon. There has been over lap here I had three working dogs at a time. I never thought I would be interested in any trials or tests. I trained with a group who did participate and they encouraged me to sign up. I had resisted for about six years and one day my landlord signed me up and paid for my Chesapeake to enter an AKC hunt test. We failed the first test miserably...and I didnt want to return, but I had to prove that I could pass, just once. We failed again and by golly now I needed to pass before I quit. Willy passed the next 5 tests in a row and earned his AKC Senior title. We were invited to run as test dog for several Master tests and did well but never went any further. Similarly I was always planting birds and marshaling the NSTRA events until I was convinced to enter. Buck my Weimaraner got a 3rd place in his first event. We were hooked. I realize the training that it took to pass the tests and place in the trials helped me keep a focus and I ended up with better hunting dogs. Not that I couldnt have good dogs without testing / trialing, but the benefits were quite clear. I dont need a perfect dog, but one I can feel proud of in the field. I enjoy the process of training and the product of watching a dog in the field.
Sorry...looks like I got to rambling here.

MOshorthair

Post by MOshorthair » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:20 pm

I own two German Shorthaired Pointers (Rowdy and Gunner). I live in Mid Missouri recently moved from SW Missouri. I've been hunting since I was about 11 years old. Didn't get into pointing dogs until after college. I had a really good GSP for 13 yrs he was out of Rawhides Clown, he was a big running honest dog I really enjoyed training and hunting with him. Unfortunately I had him put to sleep last summer he was getting too old. About three years ago I started looking to get back into training and working with dogs. I decided to go the NAVHDA route and settled in on Sharp Shooters Kennel and bought a puppy, I have been very happy with Rowdy. I have really enjoyed being around and testing in the NAVHDA system there are a lot of great people involved. I hope to help get Rowdy a UT prize I this year.

I am 40 yrs old work for Missouri Farm Bureau, I am married with a step daughter who is 7 and my wife and i have a little boy on the way.

PastorRay

Post by PastorRay » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Folks,
Consider me as green as you can get. About to retire (another year), about to pick up a Llewellin, (another month) about to drive 'She who must be obeyed' nuts (continual project for 40 yrs now). Have not had time to be a hunter while pastoring, did serve in Vietnam 40 yrs ago so not completely unfamilier with firearms, but have only 'havested' various deer, rabbit and groundhog stupid enough to remain motionless in the garden for many many. Intersted in suggestions folks have as to what shot-gun to get. Obviously a beginner at wingshooting - like the visual image presented by a side-by-side, but find an over&under more comfotable at the store. Don't want to waste money getting something inappropriate at the very low end, but don't want to spend biggy bucks on a 'vision' not yet an addiction (as say Fly-fishing is). Any advice will be most welcomed

john w

Post by john w » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 am

john w Is a retired CANADIAN SERVICE person and very much into Upland Bird hunting with my DD GWP AND MY CHOCLATE LAB. Also enjoy Bow hunting for big game animals, Reloading , tying flys and Salmon fishing when I'm not Bird hunting.
Age is 68 and lovin it

sidneypointers

Post by sidneypointers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi everyone, Andy here. 47 w/wife, two boys (12,15) and three GSPs. I've had shorthairs for a little more than 20 years. I hunt pheasant both in east central Illinois where I live and also in SD.

arandy

Post by arandy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:11 am

I'm Andy from SW Arkansas. 60 years old and retired as of December 15. Married, no kids. Still do pretty much what I want to but not at the speed I did those things before my birthdays got to coming so fast.
I have a pen full of dogs that look like bird dogs. 2 EP's, 1 ES, 1 Brittany, all faulty. But in their defense they are probably as good as a hunter like me deserves. I have one old Black Lab that will hunt about anything and she really suits me, and 1 big headed mutt that is trying to make a squirrel dog since he is out of goats to kill.
Quail hunting is my favorite but I like all bird and small game hunting and especially if it is with dogs. I like fooling with just about any kind of dog that will hunt. Deer hunt as well. I like gardening in spring and summer and fish a little too.
Not many bird hunters left around here, especially ones who are willing and able to travel long distances to hunt where there are still some wild birds. Would like to get acquainted with other people who are willing to go to the trouble and expense it takes to hunt wild quail nowadays and do it with imperfect dogs and an old man who can still walk fairly good but cannot and will not run. Also I want to go pheasant hunting and need a little help getting a start at it.

franko444

Post by franko444 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:51 pm

I am male, 80 years old. Currently have a male and a female GSP. Been hunting about 65 years, with dogs about 50 years. Hunt pheasants and bob white quail and doves. Been to Argentina dove shooting twice and have hunted quail a LOT in SW Kansas and western OK.

Spike

Post by Spike » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:40 am

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
My name is Spike. I'm a 70 year-old retired mechanical engineer living in Southern California. I've had dogs most of my life (love 'em). I don't compete in any hunting competitions nor in showing dogs. I've owned 6 Brittanys over the past 30 years and am considering hunting my new pups (2 Brittany females-both born Aug. 2010). I haven't hunted for several years and only hunted birds when I did. (This caused some anxiety in the family as my wife is a bird watcher.) I used to reload and also shot trap and skeet - still have my Mec600 Jr 8).

One pup is local from good show stock, is very mellow and seems to have good instincts. The other is from Idaho out of field stock with good instincts and wild as a March hare! Both sweet dogs. I have a bunch of Brit books and basic dog training stuff. I belonged to NAVHDA 25 or 30 years ago and trained my first Brits with their methods. Trained my second pair with obedience training (no hunting). Just bought an e-collar and am looking for pointing-dog training videos and any other good info. Also recently joined the Calif. Brittany Club. I'm planning on training one or both of the new pups to bird hunt and hope this forum can help with that (thanks in advance).

Regards,
Spike

PS, I'm glad to see there's no flaming or fighting and not much socializing or politics on this board. I'm not much of a forum guy because of such things. Oops! I spoke too soon. Sorry to see the strife.
Last edited by Spike on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spike Cover

rgvboomer

Post by rgvboomer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I am 29 years old, male from south texas, mcallen texas vicinity. I am a full-time student at our local university hopefully on my last year. this is my second year that i started hunting doves and would like to train my 2 year old labrador to be a proficient retriever to all types of birds. I am currently looking for a training that will teach my dog everything that we need for this upcoming fall season. i am very new to all of this and any suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thank you!

RaiderArch

Post by RaiderArch » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm a 25 year old male from West Texas and I've got a 16 month old Weimaraner named Dirk. I've been married for a year and a half and I'm an intern architect. Never been a hunter, but Dirk and I both need a hobby. Getting a late start on bird training him, but I've got nothing but time.

armand

Post by armand » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:57 pm

hi my name is armand. i live in sougthernvermont. i like running rabbits with my bassetthound flash.i also have a beagle slick. thinking about joining a beagle club since there r no bassett clubs around.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 am

My name is Jim, new to the forum. Hope to get answers and maybe just friendly chitchat. I am 44 years old, happily married for 21 years. I have 2 kids 1grandson. I love (English Setters), and watching them run. I have quail hunted for 30 years,THANK YOU DAD AND UNCLE FRED. Anything in the outdoors I can usually be found doing. My dream is to have my own kennel, just setters and be a reputable trainer when I retire.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Howdy All!

I'm Elsa, a biologist by training, 41 years old, married with 10 dogs. I have been hunting for about 15 years and enjoy anything that you can hunt with dogs (plus I love to turkey hunt).

I have a Vizsla (my best boy), two EP's, a GSP, two Chessies, and a pack 'o' beagles. Two of our dogs are rescues - I'm a big proponent of foster programs and you can usually find an extra pointer or two at our house that I foster. I'm doing a bit of Hunt Testing - and will take my V through his MH title this spring (if I can find enough time from work to get it done). I love to train dogs, I just love dogs in general. My husband and I love to hunt and most days of the season you will find me out with the dogs chasing quail, pheasants, or traveling west for sharpies or PC's, while he much more enjoys sitting in a freezing cold duck blind. I enjoy working with kids as well - any excuse I can find to get a kid outdoors and I'm there. We host many youth hunts across the state through Quail Forever and Pheasants Forever - passing it on.

All of our crew are neutered or spayed - as I'm a HUGE advocate of only breeding the best to the best in order to improve the breed. Plus, I see so many great young pointing dogs at shelters...not to mention the number two most euthanized puppies or dogs at shelters - the labrador retrievers. My bias on the spay and neuter thing shows here - but hey, that's who I am.

Chalk Creek

Post by Chalk Creek » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 am

Hi all,
My name is Donielle, I live in West Tennessee with my husband and children, I am a volunteer firefighter, first responder and Search and Rescue K-9 trainer and handler. I breed, train and hunt Labrador Retrievers, I also attend seminars, hunt and field trials and dog shows.
I have a profound love for our labs and love working with them, check us out at http://www.chalkcreekkennels.com :D

steamer

Post by steamer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 pm

hi all doug here 34 hvac tech attached and one 8 year old. i have a one year old gsp that i hope to train this is my first pointing dog and i dont really know what im doing. im working on joining a local bird dog club and am working on some yard training . there is so much info and so many training methods out there its hard for a rookie to take it all in any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 am

Aloha everyone! My name is Anthony, I'm 36 and I was born and raised in Maui, Hawaii. I'm not married but I'm not single either. I live with my girlfriend of 11 yrs. God blessed us with a beautiful boy and girl. I work in the local hospital where I am a Histology Technician. I've been hunting and fishing since I was 3 years old. I wasn't exposed to gun dogs until I was a freshman in highschool. Since then I've been sooo in love with gun dogs. I got my first dog in 1999. She was a GSP/Lab cross. She was actually a pretty good at hunting pheasant. She's been gone for a while now. The other is an English Pointer that I picked on Jan 2 2011. She was born on 10/28/10.
I've been lurking on GDF for a while and figured I should take the plunge. When it comes to gundogs I consider myself very green. So I look forward to learning from everyone and hope that one day I will be able to help someone in return.

adhumston

Post by adhumston » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:34 pm

My name is Aaron and I'm a 30 years old. I live in Nebraska and am just getting back into chasing pheasants after a few years absence. I have a male english setter now, and plan on getting a coouple more once he is trained. I'm learning a lot from this forum!

wildhunter

Post by wildhunter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 am

Im a 30 year old male living in Johannesburg South Africa....I love hunting any type of game big game Elephant buffallo kudu wildebeest etc etc aswell as game birds found locally francolin guineafowl etc etc I use my Gsp ZOE she is the love of my life :lol: we hunt the game birds together and this year Im planning on training her to track blood spoor.I also occassionally compete with her in our HPR trials through the Transvaal HPR club of which I am an active member. Im very open to meeting and chatting with like minded people from all over the world and discuss dogs/hunting/training and all the other wonderful interests that we share fishing photography 4x4ing overlanding etc etc. When im not hunting I am a baker by trade....I am in a family bakery business that my father started 31 years ago.

Nice to meet you all
George Moustakis

suprane1

Post by suprane1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Hello everyone. Just joined. I'm a 59yo male. I'm a CRNA by trade and just getting back into hunting after a 5 year hiatus. Have hunted since I was 9 in Montana( gophers, turtles ) moved on to doves and quail in AZ and trained a female lab named June. Then got into pheasant in ND over a wirehair named Abe, he was a great buddy. Then got away from birds and went deer hunting in Wa on the columbia river and called coyotes( or I should say my friend called, I shot ) then completely got away from hunting until coming to Texas where I hunted deer ( stand/feeder not hunting but just waiting/shooting but I'm not judging ) and then this fall- spring got back to doves in Tx and doves and quail in Az and got my blood going again for upland birds and am kicking myself for being away too long. Have purchased two 5 mo old GSP from a great fellow in Kansas John Prince " Prince's Quality Gundogs " one for me and one for my son, whose back safe and sound from two tours in Iraq and now recruiting for the army in Phoenix , Az( think I'm proud ) he got me back into birds and now were looking forward to many years of hunting. Thanks

barthowes

Post by barthowes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 pm

my name is Bart. I'm 30. Live in Vermont. This is my first hunting dog. Her name is Sue. She's a 4 year old britt. I love hunting with dogs. I hunt from september to march straight. Grouse and woodcock, deer, then rabbits. can't forget turkey in may. The older I get the more fun the small game is. Stilll nothing like baggn a big buck though. :) I've had her for 2 years now and she points great. I just have to get her to be steady to wing and shot. Good luck to me!

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:58 am

Hi all, my name is Nick, 28 years old from Kansas City MO. I work in Information Technology. I've been into hunting and shooting since I was about 10 years old. I hunt quail and pheasant, deer, and turkey. I own Brittanys, I got my first one 2 years ago and have been doing NSTRA field trials and AKC hunt tests with her. She's doing well and has passed 2/2 Junior Hunt tests, and I hope to have her title done next month.

birddog03

Post by birddog03 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 pm

I just joined this forum. I'm from Colorado and have 2 English Setters, one is 13 years old and the other a 9 month old puppy we got when she was 8 weeks old.

My older dog joined our family when we were just beginning to have kids ourselves, so I didn't get her out much on birds, or train her very well. The setter we had before her we had "pre kids" and she got lots of training and was a good bird dog.

Now that my kids are older (12, 9 and 6), I can share the training experience with them. I started my puppy out on pigeons at about 4 months of age. I took her pheasant hunting with me this season with no expectations, just so she would have fun, and she did.

Now that she is 9 months old, I want to concentrate a little harder on the training and maybe take her to a few local trials to keep her in shape and ready for next hunting season.

I'm a Male, 48 years old.

Charles_Madison

Post by Charles_Madison » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 am

My name is Shane, I'm 23 and I am from South Dakota. I will graduate from college in May with a B.S. Degree in Criminal Justice and I just got married last weekend. I only started hunting last year because I grew up in the "city" and my dad was never into hunting (meaning he didn't like it when he was a kid so he didn't bother to take me.) I love duck hunting the most but pheasant hunting is fun as well. I have two dogs. Charles is an Airedale Terrier and is a year and eight months. Maddie (Madison) is a black lab and is eight months old. What I am hoping to gain from this forum is some insight and tips on how to train Charles and Maddie for pheasant and waterfowl hunting respectively. I know I won't be able to make them master hunters by myself, but I will be able to lay some ground work for further professional training in the future. So lets get started...

--Shane
_Shane_

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 pm

My name is Luke, I am 30 year old guy and I own a retail store. I am new to hunting birds with a gun dog some I am looking forward to all the usefull information this forum has to offer. I do not have a gun dog yet but I am picking up a lab sometime in June.

brad0861

Post by brad0861 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi, Im Brad. 27 yo Marine currently serving in Afghanistan. I have an ESS and Lab that are at home with my wife. Looking to get out of here soon and return home. Hoping to find some helpful information on here as I re-start my training plan in preparation for next season. Both my dogs are meat dogs but I am very interested in field trials and hunt tests. Got a lot of work ahead of me as I have been gone off and on for the last few years.

MARSHALL COGBURN

Post by MARSHALL COGBURN » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:44 am

I am 20 years old and i just got my first hunting dog Hondo 3 weeks ago. I am very exited to start training. I have been hunting since i was 9 but not alot of experience with a dog so i am exited but lack in experience. I was glad to find this forum so i can learn from fellow hunters and dog lovers. I look forward to your help in the future!

shooter2005

Post by shooter2005 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:35 am

i am 24yrs old i am an aviation electrician in the navy. i am stationed at NAWC Point Mugu, Ca. finishing up my last deployment. i will have one Chesapeake
Bay Retriever in a few short months. (waiting for him to be born). He will be my first hunting dog. i hunt for deer, bear, turkey, waterfowl, upland birds and small game. i am originally from pennsylvania and will shortly be returning home as my active duty time will be up in july. im looking forward to all the fun and adventures to come with training a gun dog and the extra hunting opertunities he will help provide, as well as bringing a new member into the family.
what goes up, must come down

HuntinSconny

Post by HuntinSconny » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm a 29 yr old landscaper in western Wisconsin. I will be starting a new job in central Wisconsin in about 2 weeks. I have a 1 1/2 yr old British Black Lab from Diamond J British Labs in Atwater Minnesota, named Croix. Named after the St. Croix river we live near now. We started him hunting woodcock and ruffed grouse in northern Wisconsin and then moved up to phesants in Wisconsin, South Dakota and Minnesota. He is the first dog I've ever raised as a hunting dog and couldn't be happier. I'm happy to have found a forum for the dog worker that helps the common person out. Thanks!

PatG

Post by PatG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:42 pm

My name is Patrick. I am a cost accountant for a manufacturing company in Auburn Alabama (Roll Tide). I have two Labradore Retrievers. One is 5 years old and the other is 11 months. I enjoy game bird hunting and am in the process of training my 11 month old lab to hunt. Both his father and mother were Master Hunters...really don't want the genes to go to waste. However, I realize it is as much my responsibility to help pull those instincts out of him. That is the main reason for me joining this forum. I would like to get some advice and training tips from others who have successfully trained their dogs. I have been working with Asher ( the 11 month ) old since he was about 3 months old.

swannee3187

Post by swannee3187 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:59 am

My name is Jake. I am 23 years old and studying Aerospace Engineering at Oklahoma State University. I got a Labrador Retriever puppy for christmas and I have been working with him whenever I can. I have grown up around labs and have always admired their loving attitude and their intelligence. I am new to the hunting community. I am still pretty green and I am trying to train my puppy to be the best that I can make him.

ZUJumper23

Post by ZUJumper23 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Hello,
The name is James and I am currently a college student in southern California. I am honestly on here to try to learn as much as I can about bird hunting and gun dogs. I am an archer at the moment and enjoy hog hunting. I most definitely would like to expand my horizons. I have an interest in GSPs and English Pointers and will be spending the next couple years learning as much as I can before finding/bringing home a new hunting buddy.
Thanks to all for having this forum,
James

stormlakesetters

Post by stormlakesetters » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Tom Agan 48
Owner, Storm Lake Setters
Work in the food bussiness
English Setters
Gordon Setters
Labs
Hunt all birds
Hope to round out the Kennel with Irish Setters in the near future.

Brittlover

Post by Brittlover » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi there,

44, married. Husband hunts, I don't. Unfortunately he's on the road so much that training basically has fallen to me. Currently we have a 10 year old Brittany and are eagerly awaiting our new pup who is due in April. Hoping to put dual championships on her in both Canada and the US. We live in Southern BC, and I have recently joined the Washington Brittany Club.

jdnelson

Post by jdnelson » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:26 pm

hello to all
I name is david I live in natchitoches La. i am 45 years old and have been hunting birds all my life, quail and woodcock I currently have 2 english pointers and a brittany on the way. i am a construction superintendent for a dirt contractor in shreveport la.
we hunt mainly in texas and kansas for quail and pheasant. we have been using a surrrogator to try and get some birds back on our property so we dont have to travel so far to hunt.

jax45

Post by jax45 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 am

I live in Sharpsburg Ga. I am a member of NSTRA and I like to do about any type of hunting that requires dog work. I own 2 EP, 1 GSP, and 1 EP. I like all breeds and really like dogs with lots of hunt. Like to fish and do anything outdoors.

esetter1

Post by esetter1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Wayne. I'm 29 years old. I have a yellow lab that I hunt waterfowl with and an English Setter pup that will be doing the upland hunting with me. I usually hunt pheasants and grouse but am trying to plan a trip out west to shoot some huns and maybe quail.

mauigundog

Post by mauigundog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi All,

Commercial realtor on Maui. Just joined GDF and very excited about it. Training my new 6 month old willow for next season getting some great info. Any advice appreciated (commands, techniques, where to get birds for training on Maui).

Chris
willow and ruby.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.