A little about you...

magspa

Re: A little about you...

Post by magspa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:38 am

I am a 28year old physical therapist, and USCG Veteran. Originally from western PA. Have been in South Texas "RGV" for the past year and will be here for a while. I have 2 GSP's 14months and 7months both females. Enjoyed training the first one so much i got her a sister. We have been hunting bobwhites down here the past few weeks with some success and training between hunts.

Rockett

Post by Rockett » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:52 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi guys, my name is lara. I'm from near Canberra, Australia. I'm a mum of 2 boys and 3 b&w Gsp's. my dogs and I love retrieving trials. I have a new pup out of Australia's first grand field champion, so big hopes for this little guy! I'm really enjoying this site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pamela

Post by Pamela » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi all... I am not a hunter but found myself buying a GSP pup this past summer. I am a vet tech and she was the last of a litter my boss was selling for a breeder friend. She is an awesome dog! Having never owned one and we don't hunt we are realizing she needs to do her job. We take her to the beach to run everyother day. Oh, let me back up... We live on a boat! I am having a problem teaching her to come to me when I want her....any and all ideas will be welcome! If I say lets get a drink, she comes hauling... Or if I tell her I have a cookie, but to just come when called.. Forget it, she's too busy looking for what she smells.

Anyway, I am trying to find an out let for her smarts and her energy. Would love to learn more about field trials. When I found this site I was thrilled!

I am 46, come from a family of hunters, mostly big game, but none have ever had bird dogs. We live on a boat, currently in Brunswick GA and have two other dogs and a cat. I'm looking for a job in a veterinary ofefice but to take up some time, have started a temp job at a local department store.

Will add photos later.
Life is what you make it so make it fun!

landonman

Post by landonman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 pm

My name is Larry: I have 2 wirehairs, 13 and 3. They are both females. I mainly do upland hunting, but I live on a lake and the girls swim everyday in the summer. I,m 71 and I hunt every day. I absolutely love to watch a dog hunt,point and retrieve. I have hunted since I was 15,had running dogs early on. We chased coon,bear and mountain lions.

travis@hedgehollow

Post by travis@hedgehollow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:58 am

Hi my name is Travis I work as an project manager for a construction company in KC.I also manage a hunting ranch/preserve in Adrian mo.I have bird hunted my whole life and curently have a english pointer and yellow lab. We are just starting to do more bird hunts at ranch and im working hard to get new ideas on how to go about atracting pepole. I would like to do some feild trial type things down here as well! (any ideas would be great)

Kastaway

Post by Kastaway » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:02 pm

I live in Lititz Pennsylvania we just got our second English Setter. We plan on quail hunting over her. If she's half as smart as the first 1 we're in for a good time. Love your site.

ashtrainer

Post by ashtrainer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi im 18 I have two british Labradors that I am training to be service/ dock diving dogs I came to this forum because its one of the only ones that talks about e collar use
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown

KNFriss

Post by KNFriss » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:39 am

Owner of my first GSP, with second arriving this x-mas. George, currently 6 months is our family gun dog pet is well rounded, although with it being my first time training we made a few mistakes along the way. My fiance and I are planning a wedding for next summer, and spend many intervals through out the day "playing" and training George, because if we don't he will begin to misbehave. We are getting the second pup because our training with George has been difficult but yet enjoyable and we welcome the addition into our home with the expectation that George will now have a buddy to play with..this breed is so very socialable, even more than all other labs I am familiar with.

huntsforfun

Post by huntsforfun » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi, I am 50 year old male, live in OK but originally from TX. I love hunting and now I am ready to purchase, train and hunt my first Lab. So I will be taking in as much advice I can get from the experts on this forum.

PJMandlife

Post by PJMandlife » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:05 am

We just got our first English Pointer puppy today. My husband and I both hunt along with our sons. We have never had a Pointer before and are looking for advice on training her. She is going to be an outside dog. I am a pianist and piano teacher. My husband is a machinist. We homeschool our two sons and enjoy bluegrass music since our eldest is in a bluegrass band :)
Looking forward to learning more about English Pointer pups here! And how to train them to hunt!

Sporin

Post by Sporin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:29 am

Hello all!

My name is Dave, I live in Vermont USA and we have a new yellow lab pup coming home next week from Lilley Hill Kennels which breed excellent Labs and Setters with hunting pedigrees.

I don't hunt but have been interested in it as well as watching sporting dog trials on TV and am considering training this pup (our 3rd lab but our first with the strong potential to be a good hunter) to do some proper retrieving.

Her primary job will be as a family companion but I joined the forum as a means to research potentially giving her more specific training as well.

stockb3

Post by stockb3 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:03 pm

My name is Brian Stockrahm and live in south western part of Indiana. I have retired from a major pharmaceutical company at the ripe age of
59 1/2. Currently own a string of 5 English pointers in which I have been involved with since 1986. I have competed in walking trials in the early years
until the state government shut the trials down because most if not all were held on state grounds. At this time I mainly hunt wild birds and if the birds are scarce I end up on hunting preserves which as we all know it is not the same as hunting wild coveys.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Hello All! My name is Rod Whitehead, German Wirehairs all the way, I currently have an eleven month old pup. She is my 4th, GWP. I am 58 years old, recently retired Millwright,when my wife came down with a rare neurological disease--she has recovered 90%. I hunt just about anything that flies and is edible, altho I don't think I'll try anymore Old Squaw ducks,you just can't doctor them up enough. (I had to try) I shoot a lot of sporting clays in the summer, it is quite chilly here in Phelps,Northern Wis. in the winter time! I am also a certified 4-H shotgun instructor and REALLY enjoy teaching the kids how to dust clay birds!! I found these forums when looking for a place to hunt woodcock or quail in the south or west. I didn't get my Pup into nearly enough birds this fall having been dianosed with Alpha 1, lung disease. This is a genetic deficiency that allows the enzymes in our lungs to eat the healthy tissue as they try to eat away at contaminants or infected tissue. It is a nonprogressive disease so now that I know I have it, I wear a dust mask a lot more and stay away from all unhealthy environments! I am in excellent shape, I just can't walk/hunt for more than 3-4 hours. So which one of us can go for as long as we used to?? I make up and sell over the internet, Duck and Chicken Pluckers--The Easy Pluck-- You can see me and view a short video of our Old Squaw hunt with the editor of Wildfow Magazine@, pluckwitheasypluck.com
Last edited by Rod W on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrockTheBritt

Post by BrockTheBritt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 pm

My Name is Daniel, i'm originally from Indiana but the AF currently has me in Missouri. I'm a proud owner of an American Brittany. Beginning hunter of pheasant, quail etc... pretty much any upland bird I can get into.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi, I'm Pete. 56 & always been interested in bird hunting. My wife gave me a hunt on a local game farm for Christmas. Guess I need to get started...

adelle

Post by adelle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:11 pm

We are a small family in the Seattle area that have enjoyed hunting upland & waterfowl, along with training and competing in Dock Dogs accross the US with our labradors and goldens for many years. Every once in a while our family may have a litter. Prior to breeding both parents must be trained for hunting, service work, or obedience, have an OFA or good or excellent for hips, normal CERF for eyes, Cardiac normal through a cardiologist, thyroid normal, have a strong background of good health in the pedigree, with a history of longevity. Over the years, we have become involved with quite a few local and and national clubs. We love what we do with our great canine companions, and try to do it right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

K-9 GWP

Post by K-9 GWP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 am

Hi I'm SGT K-9 TC Morrow from Texas my wife Tracy and I are both 44 yrs old , we have 5 German Wirehaired Pointer (VC Southpaw Socks Morrow, Griff's Quaise Nick,
Griff's Saltyfoot Mack, Griff's Viking Chewbacca #2(Deuce), TC's K-9 Blitz , one German Shorthair Pointer 1X CH NSTRA (TGR's Impressive Duke) and one PD's Yellow Lad (Wardo)

I'm a Police K-9 SGT south of Houston TX , Where I use Blitz 13 monts old and Wardo 9 years old in sevice for Narcotics Detection.
Blitz I trained and certified him @ 9 monts old, on 5 oders no falses , Blitz is a easy trained GWP and no aggression (All my GWP's are this way )

VC Southpaw Socks Morrow @ 2yr 4 mts 195 score,, she is my German Wirehaired Pointer, my 1st NAVHDA Versatile Champion , a granddaughter of Griffs Greta < , thx to Scott Beynon for my 1st VC in 2012 , VC Socks is the youngest female with a 195 to get a VC

Plained breeding 1/12/2013 with VC Southpaw Socks Morrow @ 2yr 4 mts 195 score ***the youngest female dog with the highest score of 195 ever to do so of any breed X VC Griff's Viking Chewbacca ( Snup ) @ 2 Years 2 monts score 200 ** the youngest dog ever to do so of any breed

All of my GWP are a Son x3 ,a grandson x1 or a granddaughter x1 of Griffs Greta 8x NAVHDA breeders award witch will be 9x this year out of 4 diff males owned by (Dan Griffin S Falls SD)

We mainly do upland hunting, NAVHDA and NSTRA

We feed DrTims dog food ( Momentum ) ****The best dog food I've ever used **** I'm not paid or sponsored by them
Last edited by K-9 GWP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

troach18

Post by troach18 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 pm

My name is Ted Roach. Im 17 and live in Huntertown, IN. I have been bird hunting pheasant, quail, grouse and going to field trials with my dad since I can remember, and to love train FT dogs with my dad. My dad has been training bird dogs (English Pointers mainly) since the early 70's and has been running in Shooting dog stakes around the country since then till about a couple years ago and is no longer able to do it due to his bad leg. In my free time I like to train our dogs( we have 2 EP's, 1GSP, and a ES) and work them on birds and this summer I will start running in NSTRA trials in the Michigan Region. My dad wants me to start off doing that but eventually make the transition to horseback trials. I am a hockey player as well, currently playing u18 aaa hockey to advance my career in the sport. Due to my hockey travels i only get to train and run dogs when I am home on off weekends.

I have learned a lot about competitive trialling from my father who has learned from some of the best. My father was long time partner with the Late Tom Honecker and Ken Honecker and did a lot of trialling throughout the years, which i have learned the trade from them and hope to keep it going in my family. I greatly appreciate any info sent my way on the forum to better my knowledge on game. Thank you all for listening and happy hunting or trialling.

Hickboyaf

Post by Hickboyaf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:43 am

Hello all, my name is Bucky. Im a 26 year old guy living here in AZ. Was born in PA but good ole uncle Sam brought me to the land of catus and rocks and I stayed. (darn women will do that to a guy). I am now a machinist who is addicted to bull riding. I have been hunting my whole life and was raised with a bow/gun in my hand and a dog by my side. I now currently have my very first gsp who is a year old named Remington. Great dog!! Thinking of doing some trials with him but know we both need some more work. Been cruiseing the forums for some time and decided now it was time to become a member so I can ask those darn tricky questions and give my two cents on topics on which I know little about. So until next time, happy hunting while it's still the season!

soto34

Post by soto34 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 pm

My name is Paul, I am located in Plano Texas. I am 31 yrs old. I have been shotting shotguns since high school, only clay pigeons though. I have a Ren 12 ga and a 30 06. I have shot other weapons in the army from M-4s and 9mm Barretta to 50 Cal Browning and 25 mm from Bradley Fighting Vehicles, all of which will do me no good hunting birds. I moved to Texas 2 yrs ago from California. I recently placed a deposit for a male GSP. I have never used a dog for anything other than home protection. I plan to visit some of the training facilities nearby to train my pup. The litter is scheduled for 02/14/13. I plan to use this website for some advice and tips on best practices and what not.I currently am employed with Capital One here in Plano.

Bunnypups

Post by Bunnypups » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi, my name is Sonja, my friends call me Bunny. 49 yr. old female in Golden, CO. I work in water resources. I enjoy big game hunting, I do not have too much experience in bird hunting. Which is unfortunate, because I find myself with 2 - 9 mos. old female Lab/GWP mix pups in desperate need of training. My hope is that I can come here to learn from other people how best to work my 2 girls. I believe wholeheartedly that they will be happiest doing what they are supposed to do, and that is to hunt. We lost our 2 older girls last year, both excellent bird dogs (black labs). Molly from a massive stroke, and Amylou from old age.
I am definitely a "new pup" to all of this.

BTBryson

Post by BTBryson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 am

My name is Brandon and I'm a 29 yr old atty from Cartersville, GA. I own an American Brittany who just turned 1 yr old in December. I am new to dog training and bird hunting, but my Britt has quickly become my best friend. I'm looking to learn more about bird hunting and dog training through this forum.

GreenJeans

Post by GreenJeans » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:40 pm

My name is Jeff. I live near Pomona Kansas. I have been hunting and fishing all of my life. I'm, what some would call, a Kansas Tour Guide. I have 5 bird dogs. My oldest is a GSP and the other 4 are Elhew English Pointers. I just work and train my dogs for my personal experience. No field trials or anything like that. I hunt pretty much everything but since I've started to work with my dogs, that has become my passion. Feel free to ask my any questions you like.

robert_lh

Post by robert_lh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Robert I am 25 this week and I currently work at Boeing as a structures mechanic on the 747 program in Everett, WA. I have been hunting and shooting since I was old enough to keep up with my Dad. Most of my hunting with my Dad has been Deer and Elk. My Mom gave away our dog when I was 10 and I never really got the chance to get into bird hunting. I picked up my first dog 3 months ago he's a orange and white Brittany named Cooper. I can't wait to get out next year and hunt with him. I hope to hunt Pheasant, Quail, Chuckar and Grouse. Glad to be a member of GDF!

LankyMutt

Post by LankyMutt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi there,

I'm Kyra and I'm from New Zealand. I work part time in a butchery. My Husband and I go hunting for Deer, Thar, Chamois, and we love to go Bunny Busting at night.

We've just acquired a young GSP cross, though we are unsure what he may be crossed with! Here's to hoping you guys can help out.

Cheers!

WolfpackHunter

Post by WolfpackHunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello,

I'm 24, and just entering the world of gun dogs.

I'm a wildlife biologist by trade, and my deutsch drahthaar is 5 months old

jude

Post by jude » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello, I am 34 and work in the oilfield.i have been hunting since I was 7 everything from doves to deer
and have had dogs for as long as I can remember.currently I have a 5 year old lab and a 6 month old Brittany.
I have trained several labs and really enjoyed it.the Brittany is a new project for me since he is my first pointing dog.
Here looking for pointers on training both breeds and really learn as much as I can I've been thinking about running
Them in hunt test.

jLivvy

Post by jLivvy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 am

Hi there....new member here...52 years old, Male; CEO/President of Lighting Mfg Co. in Mpls/St.Paul; getting back in to hunting at a later age; Pheasant/Grouse; 3 dogs, Choc. Lab, German Shorthair and Gordon Setter; Gordon recently competed in Dec. at a PHU competion in IL; probably lean towards hunt competitions; became aware of GDF from reading the recent Gordon competion that Buck, Livvy's father competed in ...thus, joined..Wecome!

hunterisgreat

Post by hunterisgreat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 am

Hello, I'm Hunter, a 33 year old former Marine, now President/CEO of an IT engineering firm in Charleston, SC at which I also do engineering work. I don't actually hunt, or have hunting dogs (strange to be here right?). I do have 3 german shepherd dogs which I train daily in various dog sports (tracking, obedience, protection). I'm here mostly to explore training methods used in the hunting community, gauge interest on some ideas I'm kicking around (some software, dog training equipment, dog trailer design, and a few other ideas). I have grown up with labs and boykin spaniels though we never hunted any of them.

I guess dog pictures are appropriate even if its quasi off topic :-) Here's my female Katya guarding a decoy

And my male Jäger doing muzzlework (thats me handling him)

rigthis

Post by rigthis » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:15 am

Hi folks,

My name is Hal, if you were on gundogchat with Clint, you recognize me.

I'm 55 years old. Work in the Gulf of Mexico off shore oilfield, started out as a commercial diver, now I'm in deep water construction and intervention.

Married, with one in college (A&M)

I hunt deer, waterfoul, and upland, and fish. We live more or less between Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend. I fish almost exclusively the Bend, and every time I drive by Rayburn, I wonder why I don't fish there more often... hmmmmm... I enjoy bass fishing, but truth be told, given half an excuse, I'll switch to perch jerk'n with out much effort.

We live with three boykins, two of which hunt: Bear, Abby, and Coco. Coco is my wife's constant companion and personal foot warmer. Then other two are my hunt'n buddies. Abby is presntly in SC for breeding. Bear is basically retired, and we're enjoying his golden years.

We also have two hounds that were abandoned on the side of the road: a Plot Hound and a Redbone. My wife has a soft heart for drop off's so we generally have a couple of rescues in the kennel all the time.

Rob's last name caught my attention. I get nearly all my dog training supplies at Gundog supply. Not a plug, just a fact. And a great group of folks to deal with.

So that's me. Glad to be part of the group.

hal

AndrewM

Post by AndrewM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi,
My name is Andrew, I live in Reno Nv and I recently got a new black labrador retriever named Koda. I started training him as soon as he learned his name which was about 8.5 weeks old. He knows sit, stay and come by command and whistle already and he is 13 weeks old on february 19. I've started him on birds since the day I got him. I am looking forward to many hunting trips with him.

I got on this website to get advice because I am new to training a hunting dog. I have read Richard Wolters book "Game Dog" and it has been a real help, but I am still having trouble getting Koda to sit where he is on whistle or command (He likes to come to me and sit). I have tried throwing some treats when he sits, but he still likes to come to me. When given the whistle or command "come" He also is hesitant to come sometimes. I use the 50' check cord and I have to tug on it pretty hard for him to come. He also ignores me when training sometimes, I don't know what to do about it. I get his attention and he will look at me.
Retrieving is going well though. We started in the house hallway and then moved outdoors. He really likes to retrieve outside, but just likes to chew on the dummy when playing in the house.

Any help would be great! thanks

Andrew

rigthis

Post by rigthis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am

LankyMutt wrote:Hi there,

I'm Kyra and I'm from New Zealand. I work part time in a butchery. My Husband and I go hunting for Deer, Thar, Chamois, and we love to go Bunny Busting at night.

We've just acquired a young GSP cross, though we are unsure what he may be crossed with! Here's to hoping you guys can help out.

Cheers!
Hello from the Deep East Texas Piney Woods!

One of my most cherrished memories is from when I was stationed on a Coast Guard Ice Breaker (Polar Sea)... in another life.... We stopped over at Wellington for the Christmas holiday, on our way to Antarctica. We had about 140 guys on the ship, and at least 4 or 5 times that many offers from local families to take us in for Christmas dinner.

One of the absolute most beautiful places I've ever seen, and with out a doubt, the friendliest people.

If the pooch in question is your avatar, it could possibly be a Lab / GSP mix. I've had some luck with mixed / cross breeds as hunting dogs. They've always made great companions.

I had to look up what a Thar and Chamois was... :-)....

Not sure if you're allowed to use dogs to hunt big game down there, but you may be able to get him to trail / track.

In the woods around me, although the most common is pure bred hounds (walkers, blue tick, plot) for feral hogs, guys use just about any type of dog; hound, mutt, or any combination that'll run and bay up.

Nate K

Post by Nate K » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 am

My name is Nate and I am 35. We live about 20 miles south of Milwaukee, WI. I own a nuisance wildlife removal business in the area.

We get to pick up our puppy (a black lab) in about two weeks. We already named him Ruger.

I am not going to do any competitions or trials with him. I am just hoping to make him a decent bird dog (pheasant and ducks). Luckily I have the time to dedicate to him since I pretty much don't do much actual work anymore. This is good because it gives me unlimited time to spend in the field (hunting and fishing).

I have three teenage daughters that give me plenty of gray hair and I must of did something wrong because none of them participate in the family business or hunting in general....but they all love to fish. So 1 outta 3 is liveable. And I could never forget the better half who pretty much does everything I enjoy doing even though I do nothing she enjoys doing. Funny how that works out.

I have been buying a variety of training DVD's and plan to watch them all before my pup gets home and decide which system I want to follow.

I have purchased: Gun Dog-Training Retreivers, Sound Beginnings with Jackie Mertens, and Smartwork Puppy Program.

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 pm

My name is Michael and I'm from Dallas. I got Jake, a GSP, about 3 months ago (he is now 6 months) he is the first gun dog that I have owned and I am beyond excited to start training.

Lightjockey

Post by Lightjockey » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Ersin Tetk
Age = 32
Job = English Teacher
Marital Status = MArried
Location= TURKIYE
Love nature and Dogs . I have a German Wirehaired Pointer ( Deutsch Drahthaar ) . Im new in this forum . Lookin for friends who has DD and are ready for chat about hunting and dogs .

kbayer

Post by kbayer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 am

Hello. My name is Kyle Bayer. I live outside on Nashville, TN, I am 23 and a brand new owner of a 12 week old black lab retriever. I am completely new to rettriever training and hope to teach this pup on my own. I got Kimber from a breeder in Kentucky when she was 7 weeks old. I've done extensive research in training a gun dog but am finding out just how much work it is. I feel like I will be needing tons of help!

Elihu

Post by Elihu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Male 32 yrs old 3 kids quail hunt in western ky for past 8 yrs. Got introduced to quail hunting by friend got dog next yr and got out of rabbit hunting.i have trained 2 dogs from pup turned out great they was droppers wanting to get a pair of llewellin setters in the process of getting pups. Lv training bird dogs could talk about dogs and hunting for hrs.kust really lv it

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Hey all my name is Nick and I was directed here from some other forums I am on (username is usually Cass). I am 26 yrs old, have a 5 year old daughter and an avid hunter. I live in Ontario and we currently own a mini dachshund. Next week I am heading to Ohio to pick up my first proper gun dog - a female english cocker pup from Flushing Star Gundogs. I joined this forum as the Canadian one I am on doesn't have a whole lot of flushig dog people so hoping to find some here. I look forward to chatting with you all :)
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Bird Dog Jim

Post by Bird Dog Jim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am

Greetings from central Kentucky. I'm new to GDF and want to introduce myself. I'm 53, male, married coming up on 30 years, have 2 sons, 24 and 21. I'm getting back into hunting after 25+ years hiatus. My sons have friends that hunt and they now enjoy deer and duck hunting, but want to get into upland bird hunting. It's the idea of upland bird hunting with my boys that has gotten me excited about hunting again. I recently joined a local sportsmans club to shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays. That's all very new to me as well.

But I'm one of those guys to whom being out in the field with a good hunting dog is as enjoyable, if not more so, as the actual hunting and harvesting game. I've had a companion dog most of my life but have never had a bird dog. Currently, we have a lazy lovable 7-year old bassett hound at home that we rescued when she was 2. But she is definitely not a hunter. So I find myself with a strong desire to get a bird dog and to learn to train him/her. May even enjoy some field trialing eventually. I'm eaten up with the idea now, but I'm trying to take it slow...to learn as much as I can before jumping in. Because, I'm well aware that owning and training a bird dog is a long-term committment of time, energy and money. Fortunately, the sportsman club I joined also has an active gun dog division with great training facilities and equipment. My main focus right now is to learn has much as I can about the differnet breeds and training approaches to figure out which path to take.

So any way, that's why I'm here at this forum. To lurk, read, ask newbie questions, ask for suggestions, etc. Looking forward to the whole process.

Cheers,
Jim

HDgundog

Post by HDgundog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm

I am 38 yes young I live in Temecula , Ca . I am self employed . I own GSP. I have been hunting for 25 yrs. Upland game is by far my favorite. I have two kids , and a wife that loves to go and hang out while me and my boy play! my boy Who is eight loves to hunt also, he loves to hunt coyote , and now that he has been behind a gsp, for him there is no turning back.

HD GUN DOG

shawnpayne

Re: A little about you...I provide onsite photography that captu

Post by shawnpayne » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 pm

I provide onsite photography that captures the essence of the Sporting Dog and breed in and out of trials and training. I go to the location and work with the breeder, trainer or participant on there needs and capturing the unique moment. My website for your review: www.petschoicepetphotography.com Shawn Payne 715 651 0499

kmac61

Post by kmac61 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Hey I'm Ken McKean, 52 year old male who lives in Evanston IL. and has a WHG Cooper. Moved from Idaho three years ago and learning the trick of the trade to keep a gun dog happy in an urban environment. Cooper is 2.5yrs and a rescue who initial purpose was to be a pet (I guess it still is) but whose prey drive is such that I just had to hunt him. Great dog and a ton of fun.

Here is is pointing a young elk on a visit back to Idaho last summer.

Kinnis

Post by Kinnis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:52 am

My name is Walter I am 31 years old. I have two dogs a year and a half old Shepard husky named leah mix that was a rescue and a thirteen week old male Brittany named kinnis. I work as a carpenter in New York . I hunt whatever happens to be in season be it white tails squirrels or carp

Scotsmanngundog

Post by Scotsmanngundog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

An expat 32 married,2 young kids,
Located just south of Pittsburgh Pa
It's in my family blood grew up hunting with beagles , foxhounds and harriers
Shot my whole life, duck , pheasant grouse and small game, labs, and spaniels,
Professional hunt service for 15 years with beagles and foxhounds
Have lived with my wife , Home Scotland, Va, Canada and Pa
In current career changing mode, going to school for nursing, but wish to pick up the gun again , missed it too much,
Would like to get into some duck and pheasant hunting as you call it over here NDB working a gundog again.
Currently looking fora Boykin spaniel bitch pup,
Thankyou
Alasdair Storer

GSPBREWER

Post by GSPBREWER » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

I'm a 28 year old male. I live in Wi. I have a 5 year old gsp that I hunt grouse and pheasant with. I've been chasing birds in the field with my dad and our first gsp since I was 6 years old and have loved ever second. I've been viewing the forum for a while now and figured it was time to utilize the vast amount of knowledge on here to get help with any questions and hopefully share some experiences with others as well.

bobby

Post by bobby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Got my first GSP in August of 2011. Female 7 months old. Breeder-ken lynch in Rhinebeck NY introduced us to Field Trials and Hunt Tests. I found and joined NAVHDA.
Im 64 retired police officer married 5 kids 6 grand kids-live in Westchester County NY
Having a ball with this great dog-smart--loyal--great hunter-big runner in Trials she is green broke

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 pm

I just now visited this thread and read many of the posts on here. You guys have done a great job attracting some good people. I look forward to the convesations. I've posted on some other sites and the conversation often seems to turn political or abusive. Its refreshing to find that no one here seems particularly interested in derailing or hijacking threads.
I'm a 44 year old landscaper who also trains dogs on the side. I even manage to make a buck or two at it on occasion. I'm owned by a wife, son and 4 dogs.
I live in Western Colorado where I enjoy hunting birds and big game. I also do some hunting in Eastern Colorado, Kansas, the Dakotas and in Minnesota where I was born and raised.

Nate

jack_81

Post by jack_81 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi, I am 28 years old, live in Rakaia, New Zealand. I have two dogs a 6mth old black pedigree GSP named Koz and a Black pedigree Labrador Bitch named Roxie. I have always hunted small game Ducks, Geese, Rabbits ive just started getting into Deer hunting which i am still very novice to. I am keen to train my GSP pup to point birds and deer i have always had Labradors so the Pointer breed is new to me, But boy these dogs have some go!! I live and work on a Dairy Farm in Rakaia so the dogs have plenty of space to run and hunt.

Cheers Jackson

thCalihunt24

Post by thCalihunt24 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 am

my name is Tom. im 19 years old, and im a California loan officer. i have a chocolate lab, Rosy. she is 2 years old and has champion running through her veins. i joined this forum cause i am still training her to be a hunting partner and definitely need some advice on how to train her properly and what programs to get her into. Rosy is obedient and has been pheasant hunting once where she just followed and watched the older dogs we had, when she was a pup, around a year old. im worried that she might be almost too old to train to be at the level she could be at. she sits, stays, retreives to hand. full of energy, she loves to please and loves the water. she is not gun shy though i do need to do more gun work with her. i hunt duck mostly, but do try to get out for whatever season. ive been hunting for close to 3 years so thats also why im here, to absorb all the knowledge possible, ask questions and its the closest i can get to hunting while still at work :) thank you

Pinkrealtree

Post by Pinkrealtree » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 pm

A little about me...

I guess the best way to sum it up is that I'm the product of an outdoorsman who never had sons. I've been hunting since I was literally in diapers, in the blind duck hunting, or strapped to him bird hunting. We grew up with amazing retrievers, both family dogs and field dogs. As soon as I was out on my own I bought my first gun dog, a yellow Labrador retriever and we learned training together. He's my pride and joy now, a beautiful and smart hunting dog and a 90lbs lap dog on the side.
I just put a deposit on a second dog, a golden retriever, who comes from amazing stock, who I plan to compete with. It's all one big learning experience but I'm loving it and hopefully I'll get some good tips and ideas on here.