A little about you...

rpointers

A little about you

Post by rpointers » Fri May 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Hello
My name is Ric Oestreich. I live in N. Wisconsin. Employed in the robotics field when I am not chasing Grouse and Woodcock with my shorthairs. Co- Founder of Woodcock Mania the ultimate bird hunting camping trip. Only myself and life long bird hunting buddy go on, no one else is ever invited. We eat, sleep and hunt with our pointers for a week chasing the flight birds. Been at it for over 20 years now. So we decided to start a blog with our bird hunting escapades and share them with other bird chasing fanatics like ourselves.
Chasin' Ruffed Grouse

Shadow

Re: A little about you...

Post by Shadow » Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 am

Hi- retired from the work force, but own and operate my own business- just completed a move from Lawrence, Kansas to a farm in SW Kansas
Been an American Brittany guy since 1972, played a bit in field trails, hunting is my game

sledcat

Post by sledcat » Tue May 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Bob Kilburn I am 33 and I Run GSP's I currently have 2 6yo male that is a Utility prize 1 and is going to the invitational this year and a 2yo female that i a NA prize 1 And has placed in both open derby stakes she has run in 1st and 2nd. I have been training for 4 years the 2 before that i was trying to train. I hunt grouse in northern Wisconsin and have hunted Iowa and ND.
2 GSP's

kotah

Post by kotah » Tue May 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Hello,
I am totally new to forums so please have patience with me.
I am 57, married, forester. I hunted pheasants as a youth on our farm in Minnesota and came out to Montana 33 years ago and took up forestry and big game hunting. Always had a yellow lab by my side mostly as a pet and occasional bird hunting. Never put much time into training but we had the same temperment so it was fun. Recently decided I had enough hiking up mountains for elk and deer and I had a good lab with good nose and good sense so decided to get back into the birds. Recently lost my good buddy and just as quickly acquired a GSP that is got me al twisted in knots - so I'll be asking lots of questions about this guy.

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:04 pm

Howdy Ya'll !

Live in New Mexico,(No Passports Needed) LOL. Have Hunted over Labs & GSP as a youngester, Got my First Hunter Which was a Weim some years Amazing Girl ,She passed on in 2004 got a GSP very awsome dog, hunt till he dropped,
genetic problems he passed in March of this year, so I have no hunting buddy for this year not really sure what my next partner will be.?? Still missing Tucker lots Not really sure I not still missing the Weim. 2 very awsome hunting partners really hard to find something, with the drive those 2 had and when day was done, Home and just being a friend.

I was a single Mom of 2 kids, Both Grown now, am teaching my Granddaughter the finer points of safety & Hunting & Fishing. if it can be done outdoors I will find a way to have fun doing it.

Hey to Shadow I made it.

Maverick 57
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Maveric- nice to see you here- could have a litter of the two above in case you'd like an orange and white companion :D

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:11 pm

Shadow,

Just not sure what I want at this point. Give those 2 hugs

Mav
Maverick 57

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri May 15, 2009 6:53 am

just teasing ya a bit Maveric- making a new post on General- see ya

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Mon May 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Howdy -

Travis Wilson
Spring Hill, KS (weekends at family farm in Iola, KS)
34 yrs young, married with 3 children, 1 cocker spaniel and 1 Brittany pup (10 weeks old)
Occupation is sales, territory is NE, KS and MO. What a life, travel every other week somewhere and see some of God's greatest creations in the midwest.

Wife and I grew up on family farms around Iola/Humboldt. Got married and moved to Springfield, Mo to finish college. That was 1997 - since then we have 3 kids and relocated KS to be closer to family (and changed careers). Spend weekends in Iola working on improving habitat, working dogs, riding atv's, mom's cooking....etc

Been hunting most of my adult life, first pheasant/quail trip was 18. SE KS use to be quail country USA, not so much now. Would love to go through a mild winter and good nesting season to see this sport come back naturally rather than me hitting the preserves, oh well!

Cool board, lots of good info. I'm sorta a vintage and retro guy, play guitar with old analog technology and reading Delmar Smith's book (circa 1977) and can't wait to implement his practices when the pup hits 12 weeks old.

Here's some pics of my little hunting partner (she's 9);
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbo

Post by jbo » Wed May 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Name: Jeremiah
Occupation: IT Coordinator for Kalitta Air (Cargo Airline Operation)

Wife, 2 kids and one that will be here within the next 10 days or so. Going to try to get my first dog this year.

I hunt grouse, woodcock, deer and try to fish as much as possible here in God's country, some people call it Michigan.

Love to hunt the birds around here but usually I am not very succesful at killing many, hopefully a dog will help locate more birds to get the odds up for some more table fare.

When not hunting or fishing its camping, snowmobiling, cutting wood, and try to do some mushroom hunting.

YELLERDOGS

Post by YELLERDOGS » Tue May 26, 2009 4:15 am

I am new to GDF so I guess this is a good place to start. I am Steph, 30 yof from Ohio. I work in government, hey it's a job and will return to school this fall. The hubby and I have three labs, two of which jump in dockdogs. I grew up hunting with my dad, everything but birds. So here I am in a mid life crisis :D and have decided to try it. I have met some great people in my area with loads of knowledge and I believe that I am hooked. Our oldest lab came to us a hunter, so SHE has taught us a few things. Our other two are learning and seem to enjoy it. So here I go on this adventure, hope ya'll are ready for some questions.... :D

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:59 am

Welcome Steph,

Glad to see more women are getting on the board and getting out hunting, I have been hunting for quite some time, I am not your average Female my Friends say I am kinda different 2 birthday's ago I got A new 270. rifle and a Diamond ring, , I was tickled pink. Hubby has a lab but she is semi retired, My last GSP crossed the Rainbow Bridge in March of this year, so I am Hunter Partner less, but the time pup & time will come along. Enjoy the GDF lots of awsome folks here and some great info. Glad to have you aboard ! :D

Maverick57(Lisa)
Maverick 57

mack204

Post by mack204 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Hello all,

Old timer from Texas who loves to wild bird hunt. I don't do any trialing, just wild bird hunt my land as often as possible. I own 1184 acres not far from Campwood. I have owned and trained my own dogs since 1966 when i bought this land. Big Running Pointers are my thing. Not much about me to learn but there ya go.

grousetales

Post by grousetales » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:47 am

Hi everyone, The name is Tom Rempel, I live in Manitoba Canada.I have had german shorthairs for about twenty years or so.I do alot of upland hunting, try to do some trialing when time permits.Love to train dogs in my spare time.Also do some taxidermy work.Grousetales will be my name on this board or GT.

GT

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Hello! My name is Elizabeth. I live in Bucks County, near Philadelphia PA. Have a 7mo GSP and a 9yo Labrador.

I am hoping to do agility with her in the future. I am also considering field trials.

My Labrador is a certified therapy dog. I have done rally and competitive obedience with her in the past. I have trained (14) Service Dogs as well as fostered serveral dogs for rescue, (GSP's, English Pointers, Labradors, Goldens, mixes).

I am a full time college student (Toursim major) as well as working FT doing data entry at a nonprofit agency in Trenton, NJ.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

naturedog

Post by naturedog » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:14 am

Hi,

Cool forum. My wife and I got our first Viszla 3 years ago, and weren't too sure what we were getting ourselves into. Now we have two and couldn't have asked for better dogs. We have just started to talk to friends about hunting with our dogs, as we are fairly inexperienced hunters. We are amped to loan our dogs out and see how they do with some dove/quail hunting in Arizona. We currently reside in Denver,CO area, and our dogs seem to be expert squirrel and bird hunters, with several half-live presents being left bedside already. More like cats if you ask me, the way they stalk there prey. Anyways, thanks for letting us join. We love our bird-dogs!, and are forever hooked on this breed. Its funny how all bird dogs seem to get along so well. It almost seems like they descriminate when given the choice at the dog park. We are big into hiking and "rockhounding" with our dogs as well, and have even made our own nature inspired website at http://www.naturedog.net

Uperhntr

Post by Uperhntr » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Ok here goes:
I'm 42 yrs. old..Work at a paper mill in the Woodyard as a Equipmet operator.. Married 20 yrs,two kids Son and daughter.. Have 2 dogs Lewellin setter and a new Elhew pionter pup..Have been bird hunting grouse and pheasants since the age of 12.. Have attended few coverdog trials,trained with a gentleman who ran dogs in trials but now has retired..Live in the Central U.P.. and now in the procces of trying to get a Woodcock banding permit..

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 am

Posted an intro under another thread but found this so I thought I would post. Borrowed Greg Jennings format,(Thanks)

Name: Jeff Alton
Marital Status: Married to Missy; she likes to bird hunt too.
Kids: 1 Jorja, she will be one in August, we share a birthday, which means I don't have to get any older
Dogs: 2 = Sienna Vizsla (8), Magic Vizsla (5)
Years around hunting dogs: 8.
Dog games: Mainly AKC Hunt Tests; looking to get into walking field trails,NAVHDA, NSTRA and anything else that is fun.
Other Hobbies: Spending time with family, archery, and camping.
What's Going On: Just moved from Tennessee to Nebraska, grew up in Missouri.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:59 am

hey i'm dustin... i'm 24 years old and i live in Oak harbor, Wa. i'm an aviation structural mechanic with the US navy. a few months ago i was a boat guy... having done cruises on the USS nimitz and the USS Stennis as well as work ups on the USS Truman. But, i got sick from spraying polyurethane paints. Cadmium and chromates poisoning :cry: so now i work with H60 helicopters. at NAS whidbey island Search and Rescue. I'm single but according to the girlfriend that won't be for long. no kids. I have one GSP his name is Orion, i don't do hunt tests with him......yet. i've been hunting birds since i was a little guy with a .410.

danishrubberduck

Post by danishrubberduck » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:10 am

My husband and I are located in Eastern Iowa. We have a cabin in northern Wisconsin that has nearly 50 acres of wooded land right next to tons of public land. He's more of the hunter then I am ( but I'm working on it!) I'm a obedience dog trainer and hubby works way too much.

We have currently 4 cats, a tortoise and 4 dogs; 2 Boxers( Rowan and Dmitri, a Golden retriever(Zak) and a Brittany( Bandit), and 3 of them hunt. And yes we are training Rowan to hunt since she has copied the Brittany's hunting style in the field and so far she's doing awesome. We are working on getting a bloodhound(s) to our mass of animals to find shed antlers and to bear hunt. It's looking to be hard to find info on using bloodhounds to bear hunt, so fingers are crossed.

We plan on doing grouse this year on top of pheasant and deer, along with watching some bear hunters train their hounds. I'm more of a bow hunter then hubby is and he prefers muzzle loader season.

On top of the hectic training schedule for the dogs, I play WoW ( or World of Warcraft for you non-players) and the hubby fishes. Pretty boring life in Iowa!

Hopefully I will be able to pick everyone's brain for tips and advice as we begin the process to train hounds, get Rowan her first pheasant season under her belt and get hubby his first buck with a bow this year!

Image Image
Ground hogs beware!

uglyleaper

Post by uglyleaper » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi all hope to get to know everyone a little better. I run a wirehaired pointer on as much as is legal! :wink:

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:43 pm

About time you showed up here Sean. Say "hi" to Susan, Ty and little Ava for me.

Carla

uglyleaper

Post by uglyleaper » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Hey how are you? I'll let em know you said hi.

vern_rondeau

Post by vern_rondeau » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Vern Rondeau. I am 22 years old, live with my wife, our seven year old lab and our year old GSP. I am male, and I have been hunting since I was eight. I live in a rough area, recently made famous by the twilight books. I was born and raised in Forks, WA. There is grouse and duck hunting here, but I am moving to go to school, so there will be some wild quail and a pheasant release sight. I duck hunted all the time when my lab was younger, but last winter she blew out her knee, so I would rather retire her and have her around than risk losing her to another bad knee. My wife and I decided to get another dog, and we have always thought GSP's were cool. A family in town had a litter, from a good blood line, and we went and got Emma. She has made her self right at home, and her and our lab are best buds. I had my lab trained up for ducks, and she would work timber and alder bottoms for grouse, but she loves the water so preferred ducks. Having a good retriever has helped inspire emma to fetch, but we are dealing with a hard mouth and some chomping. I started trapping city pigeons to use for training, so if you want to see my trap design or want some input I'm catching between ten and twenty birds per week out of one trap. I am really looking forward to hunting season, and seeing how my dog will work. If she doesn't get the gist of it, I will take full responcibility. She is an outstanding dog, and we love her to death, but I've never trained a pointer before, and it has been an awesome experience. Well, I am starting to ramble, so please feel free to track me down with any questions or if you have a little nugget of wisdom that will help me overcome my shortcomings as a new trainer. thanks, and I'm excited to be here. :D

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Charlie Staats [actually charles but I don't like that] I am happily married to my wife, Rosie, for 41 years. She was my high school sweet heart, after a few others. :wink: I just turned 60 the 23rd of July. I have been hunting for almost longer than I can remember [rabbits and squirrels]. I was introduced to bird dogs and quail hunting when I was 18 years old and got hooked the first time I saw a dog on point. I still enjoy any kind of hunting, but bird dogs are my passion. I currently have 2 GSPs, one 6 yr old and one 16 mo. old. I will add that I love this forum!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

cupofjoe04

Post by cupofjoe04 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:36 am

Howdy everyone,

My name is Joe Dean. I live in north Texas (Carrollton) with my wife. We have been married for 3 years- she is a post-partum nurse and I am a pastor as well as finishing a graduate degree. We are in line to FINALLY get the dog of our dreams in December/January. I will be getting my pick of a litter of pure labs from a great friend who is breeding her chocolate lab again.

I found this forum in a search for information and community. I have always wanted to have my own canine hunting companion, and look forward to training my lab to be just that. The only wing-shooting I do is dove, and that will be the only thing my dog will hunt (I know, I know, I'm may be second rate... but I know my desires and limitations). I have been hunting my entire life, and have hunted over dogs (quail) when I was younger frequently. I own a 350 acre ranch with my father near Hamilton, TX. We have a VERY healthy herd of whitetail and axis deer (which we have been managing for 11 years now), as well as tons of turkey and hogs. The quail are making a comeback too, but we do not hunt them yet.

I hope to find support and information on this site, as I want to do as much of the training as possible myself. I'm sure I will be turning to you guys with questions quite frequently in the coming year. Thanks in advance for all the help!

amiller

Post by amiller » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi, my name is Adam Miller.I'm 27 and a custodian. I live in Palmyra, WI. I've been hunting all my life but mostly deer and stuff that doesn't involve dogs. my lab, oscar, is almost a year old and I can't wait to hunt with him. My wife's cousin is training him now, so he should be off to a good start by the time I get him back in October.

I hope to find this site useful for training tips and just to keep utd in the hunting world.

GSP Jim

Post by GSP Jim » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:09 am

Hello my name is Jim, I am 36. I am a police officer of a 40 man department in NW Indiana. I am an avid hunter and fisherman. I am married and have 1 daughter and a son.I have 2 GSP, Sage(13) and Luke(12). We have been hunting together for 13 great years. My dogs and I have hunted mainly in Iowa, but we have done some hunting in Neb. and SD. We obviously are in the last years of hunting together but what a ride it has been. I recently am the new owner of a GSP that someone dropped off at a farm along with her brother who was hit by a car before this one was saved. The vet and I are guessing that she is anywhere from 1-2 years old. She is the reason why I am on this web site because it has been along time since we have had a pup in the house. I have been reading up on the post for a few days and am glad I have found the web site because it looks like I can get a lot of help here.

outdrguyjr

Post by outdrguyjr » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:45 am

Hi everyone...I am Joe and live in Sandwich, IL. I am 40 and an insurance salesman which allows for plenty of free time to induldge myself in my passion of upland bird hunting. Fortunately for me I also get to sell insurace to hunt preserves around the area...so basically I get paid to hunt. :) This is my first time training a dog and our family decided on a female brittany pup who we named Buffy. My wife Jennifer is a Dr. of Biology at a local university and my three daughters are Emma (11), Claire (6), and Molly (5). We bought our pup from Joe Plote from Gitrdonebrits in Malta, IL and are so happy with the addition to our family.

We are fortunate enough to have some farm land out near Moline IL to hunt birds, deer, and turkey and are looking forward to the day when Buffy and the girls can head out to the field to hunt some birds.

starjack

Post by starjack » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Hello I am 48 . I have labs Mabey IM ON WRONG Site BUT i like flushers I COMPETION HUNT WHEN MONEY ALLOWES. I have two labs now a5yr old and 8 mth old A little bragging I won the 2008 amature top gun championship came in 4th in 2009 . I drive truck for a local company Im from wisconsin but do alot of pheasant hunting in iowa

MadMax

Post by MadMax » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi, everyone

My name is Joe I'm 38 from southtexas and I am the proud owner of an 8mo. old English Springer Spaniel. I am new at training dogs and joined this great forum to try to get help in my efforts. It is proud to be part of this great forum.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:01 pm

Hello, Hello, Hello.

I've been a member for over a year now and a lurker before that for a while so I thought maybe I'd finally get around to posting something in the Welcome forum.
I'm Justin,Image
My wife is Lindsey.Image
This is us. LOL
Most of the time if someone is posting its most likely me. BUT Linds has been known to cruise the forum looking at pics of everybody's dogs.(thats her favorite part anyway lol)
We currently have 2 dogs. Our oldest, Sadie Marie,

And the younger Daisy May

We have no kids yet, but one on the way. We live in NE Kansas. I do quite a bit of quail and pheasant hunting, and mix in a few days of chasing various other winged critters with the dogs when I'm unable to hunt the pheasant or quail. Besides the hunting I enjoy training with my dogs. Linds doesn't care to hunt but has come along on a few hunts as the designated camera person. She also enjoys training with the dogs as well as just plain spoiling them rotten.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:21 pm

good looking pups....i especially like daisy....i have a soft spot for the mostly liver guys ------------------------------------>
but have been seriously wanting a ticked as well

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks TEX-X... With the liver shorthairs you just have to get used to people accusing you of starving your chocolate lab :roll: :twisted: :lol:

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 pm

:lol: i've heard that before..... "how bout you feed that lab" I tell them that he's a shorthair and he eats better (and more expensive) food than i do

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:53 pm

That's okay the young brown & white GSPs up here are all "springer spaniels" or "Britts".
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Wlfdg

Post by Wlfdg » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:01 am

Howdy All, I'm Chris, I'm 42, I live in Teton Valley, Idaho, I just got re-started bird hunting last season when my Chinook X Alaskan Husky/Wolf dog decided he wanted to be a bird hunting dog. Last season we scored on 35 forest grouse mostly Ruffeds with a few Duskies in there. Wilson pretty much learned everything on his own watching my buddy's Visla work. He just started retrieving on his own a couple weeks ago after a day out with the Visla. So far this season we've scored on 25 birds, 24 Ruffeds & 1 Dusky since Sept.1st.
Occupation- Lic.Massage Therapist, Rehab Therapist, Research & Development for backcountry ski company, porter (Sherpa)
Hobbies-Mtn.Biking, hiking, hunting birds, big game and small game, backcountry splitboarding all with my dogs.

Am hoping to convince my better half that we "need" to get another dog. I am "hoping" to get a VDD pup in a year or so. She isn't on board with "buying a puppy" or that dogs are something more than pets.
Yellow dog is Wilson. He's the hunter! Black dog is Max He's an Alaskan Inuit (Village) Dog He just goes along for the walk.
ImageImage

I'll probably be lurking and learning mostly for the eventual day I get a "real bird dog".

Have a Great Season

jjoel

Post by jjoel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 am

Hi All,

My name is Jeremy and I live in Shawnee, KS. I just joined the forum about a week ago to learn more information about gun dogs and how to train them. Currently I do not have a dog, but am hoping to have a Vizsla pup in January. Growing up I had two cocker spaniels, but neither were hunting dogs (except digging after moles in the ground).

Anyway, if the female is pregnent, this will be my first actual bird dog and am looking forward to having it as a family pet and also as a partner in the field. If anyone has any land they would like hunted around Shawnee let me know! I am seriously lacking hunting spots right now.

walt35

Post by walt35 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am 23 years old, married, have two dalmatians, I did 4 years in the Marine Corps two Deployments in Iraq and am currently a law enforcement officer. Im from southern California and hope to finally start hunting. I have little (use to go hunting with my dad as a kid) to no experience hunting but If I never trie it Ill never learn. Unfortunetly where I live at no one seems like hunting so im on my own and would love to be able to train my boy but If it doesnt work out then I will defenetly get another young puppy to train up and take with me.

Smallsgsps

Post by Smallsgsps » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm Caleb Small, a 21 year old college student in Southwest Missouri. I took up bird hunting when i was 17 and began helping a dog trainer work his pups on the weekends. I learned alot and helped my brother train his GSP last year. I bought a 6 month old black and white GSP last month and am continuing the training that the previous owner had already started. I'm bustin' my hump to get him ready for our big yearly pheasant hunt in Kansas the first week of January. I mostly hunt the few bobwhites that are left in my neck of the woods. I belong to a small gundog club in my area and hunt in their field trials every third saturday. Love to hunt animals of every kind and wish i was in the field right now instead of sitting in class :?

Bear1

Post by Bear1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:27 pm

I raise, breed, train & hunt Chesapeake Bay retrievers. Kennel name: Shilaoh's Chesapeakes.
I live in Ventura, CA, I'm 58.

JHZager

Post by JHZager » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm a MWM, pushing 50. I've hunted since I was a kid. I got into bird hunting about 20 years ago. Since then I've owned a Golden, a GSP and now a Brit. I mostly hunt in MI for grouse and woody's but I've hunted in Ks and IL for Pheasant. I just got back from taking my 12 year old boy on his first bird hunt. We did pheasant in lower MI. The Brit (Brody) put up 10 birds on a one day hunt. We have some meat for the table and all in all a great experience. The dog was the star! I am living in central Illinois now and looking to meet fella's in my area to hunt with.

Oh, I got the dog from a breeder in Iowa. Here is Brody:

GSP Cokeman

Post by GSP Cokeman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:12 pm

My name is Sean, I work for a "small" soft-drink company (hence the name tag). My family has always had bird dogs as long as I can remember. I currently live in Eastern Kansas and have (2) GSP's of my own. (Pics to the right--------------->) I have been married for 13 years and have no children, except the 4 legged kinds. They go everywhere with us! The oldest is 9.5 years old and the youngest is 6 months. We had to put my 9.5 year old male down this past mother's day weekend due to kidney failure. :( My wife thought it was a great idea to bring another companion into our lives for us and Hera (White and liver spots). Gidget (Roan) has been a mess and a God sent at the same time. It's amazing how much an old dog can act like a pup with there is a little one around. :lol: We hunt every weekend together and I'm looking forward to train another pup (I must be out of my mind that I wrote that). Looking forward to learning some new tricks of the trade from this forum. And hope to interact with y'all down the line!

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Just recently began to get back into bird hunting after an 8 yr absense. I train Walking Horses for a living for the Show Ring as well as pleasure but have a renewed interest in bird hunting.
I orginally broke away from the sport due to a lack of birds. I have recently been given the opportunity to create a better habitat for the birds and would appreciate any advice anyone may have. When I was hunting birds years ago we hunted wild birds so the released birds is a new experience. I live in Middle Tennesse with my wife, Jennifer, and we both enjoy the dogs a great deal. My main goal is to learn more about conservation methods and what I cna do to encourage more wild birds flourishing in this area.
I currently have a German Short Hair, an English Pointer and a Droper that has turned out to be the birdest dog in the group. She is 7 months old and very instintive. She is holding her point and honoring like a champ. She is retreving well and is usualy the first to find the covey.
My wife is interested in the Weim and we are considering getting one.

asc

Post by asc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:42 pm

I'm AC, I'm married, 49, live in west central Fl, and commercial fish and crab for a living. My father lived to hunt bobwhites and hunted brits., after he passed I didn't bird hunt for 19 years. Had a gun-shy pointer (from pound) for 7 yrs until I put her down in 2007(cancer). Thought about it for a while and bought a English pointer pup in may 2008. Didn't want a pup, wanted a started dog, but got a pup. I like to think sometimes that I did a good job of training her! Ha! Ha! Actually she made it easy. Heels and whoas on command, steady on point, and backs gracefully. She even retrieves. I wanted a good hunting companion and pet, I got one, anyway glad to be here and hope to learn more about working my girl, Lucy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Allie_Ruger

Post by Allie_Ruger » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:29 am

Name: Jim
Sex: Male
Marital Status; Married, 3 years to Brittney
Dogs: Allie (Female, Choc Lab); Ruger (Male, Black Lab).
Story: I've never used dogs for hunting, or done any spcialized training (my dad did have a well trained collie as a cattle dog) but I have two good looking labs. After much frustration with the differences in hunting from where I grew up in Colorado and here in Virginia, I have conceded that I should adapt to my new environment and consider migratory bird hunting vice the Mule-deer, Elk and fur-bearer hunting I am accustomed to.

My bitch, Allie, is nearly two years old and a ball of energy. The male, Ruger, isn't interested in much besides eating, attempting to be a lap dog and being a mamma's boy (which my wife, regretably obliges). Allie is, I think, large and lanky for a typical lab and was advertised as a "Field Lab" when I bought her, though at the time I was only interested in a family dog. After doing much research in the last several hours she exibits the traits and mannerisms for a good gun dog. I have also unwittingly done some good things with Allie that many websites say are important for building a foundation for field training.

I got Allie for $400 from a local man who had an "accidental" litter (I saw the Sire and Bitch on site, and was impressed by both physical stature and pedigree on paper), she came with papers which I never submited to AKC (or whoever actually makes the pretty printout of the pedigree), and started her potty training immediately.

Potty training was hard (the wife and I couldn't get on the same page with different work schedules) but we got through it. We lived adjacent to a tributary of the Cheasapeke Bay and spent an hour, 6 days a week tossing a stick or tennis ball in the water and watching her retrieve it (I didn't do this to train her, I had never seen a dog so content with playing fetch and she had so much energy that I felt swimming would wear her out faster than running) This worked for the first few weeks, but she got in such good shape that often my arm would tire before she would, so I started making her sit and wait until I released her before fetching. I then started throwing several sticks out in the water (with her sitting) then gain her attention with one stick in particular. I would then throw "her stick" and without any guidance from me what-so-ever she would seek out that particular stick.

Last year we bought our first house with a back yard, and bought another lab, Ruger, for a playmate. Ruger is a full hand shorter than Allie, and stocky. I imigine that I have one "American" and one "English" Lab. I think they look a little funny next to eachother, but hey, what can I do?

I realized recently that I spend about 20 minutes a night with each of them, walking or playing, but it never seems to be enough for Allie, so I figured why not look into making her a good huntin' dog and focus some of this energy.

I'm all ears for any suggestions. I am ready to start working her, but not sure where start with a half trained near adult dog.

I am very glad to have found such a well put together site and look forward to learning and sharing my experiences.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:54 am

Hello everyone. I am new, just found this site last night. I am 29, married (7 1/2 years), our first baby is due in April. Live in Southern Illinois (no where near Chicago) I raise English pointers, i also have a Cheasepeake Bay Retriever. I have been hunting quail behind pointers since I was old enough to walk. I try to hunt anything that involves using a dog: quail, ducks, geese, doves, pheasants (I take a trip to South Dakota every year). I also do a little deer and turkey hunting. Spent some time in the Army, did one tour in Iraq. I work for and oil refinery.

C. Justin Miller
www.3stripekennels.weebly.com

harmonious247

Post by harmonious247 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Hey everybody, I'm Chris, 37, married with a 6 yo daughter and a 2 yo son. I have a 1 1/2 yo weimeraner that's my 1st hunting dog. :D I am a construction superintendent, currently working in Cheyenne, Wy, but I live in Salt Lake. So if anyone wants to go out around the Cheyenne area or has pointers on where to go send me a pm.
dexter 001-02.jpg

Birds Under Siege

Post by Birds Under Siege » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11 am

Dave Kremers,
58, dam where did the time go
owned dogs of all types for 52 years
first bird dog, - 1970 - Hidden Hollow's Dino, 2nd CH HH Lucy
Then some hounds which I trained like I had trained my bird dogs much to the dismay of the houndsmen, two beautiful setters but my view of setters is they have to be pretty, no trial dogs here and most recently back to the shorthairs and again the sport of field trials mixed in with some NAVHDA and anything else that a shorthair will do exceptionally well. The current project is a 2 year male of Hidden Hollow/Shooting Starr lines, 4th youngest dog in NAVHDA to obtain a perfect NA112 score at 4.5 mos and currently w/Danny Burjan for the second year. I have the only lady in the world who was not gleeful about the prospect of getting another horse and on and on it goes.

wayne

Post by wayne » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:28 pm

new here,i am from geary,oklahoma love dogs ,hunting quail/pheasant,shotguns.

i just lost my dog (austin) last week so most of my hunting is over this year.

looking forward to next year.