A little about you...

Fun dog

Re: A little about you...

Post by Fun dog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:08 pm

I live in Seward Alaska. I'm new to training birddogs, but not new to dogs. I'm a world champion Sleddog racer and when I won the world championship I had a leaddog named Chip that was a GSP. Wild and crazy, that one. I now have 2 GSP's, Viking & Lily. We train and test and my husband gets us out hunting. Mostly Ptarmigan & some grouse. I love working with the dogs. It's especially rewarding when it finally clicks. During the summer I work for a Sleddog Tour company and we give sleddog rides to tourists.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:40 am

Fun Dog
Welcome it will be nice to hear your perspective on performance dogs. It appears there are now an endless supply of feeding related discourse...you would rapidly be my favorite poster if you would sort it out. All kidding aside...welcome again

Keveramma

Post by Keveramma » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:45 pm

My name is Kevin, I live in Idaho. I am pretty much a newbie in the bird hunting thing. I had a English Springer Spaniel that I wanted to hunt with, but only had him out a couple of times. Reason being he had a major league dried up nose, and I didn't get him trained up properly. I had to put him down this last Winter. Not fun at all. I just got a 2 year old German Shorthair, (Winston) and am trying to get him trained up. He definitely isn't too fired up about fetching yet, but I just got him a few days ago. He has fetched a bumper a couple of times, but pretty much would rather chase after it and then go do something else. So far, he sits, (most of the time) and heels well, comes to me when I call. He points at birds, and seems to be workable. Question is, what do you guys think about force fetch training? I got a video from the library, (Water Dog) which seems to be great stuff to me. I also have Speed Train Your Bird Dog by Larry Mueller. I'd love to hear what you guys think of this material.
A day lived for tomorrow is always a day away from realization

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello everyone
I'm Greg Jacobs
Male
From eastern washington
57 the last time I did the math.
Been hunting since I got my first trusty daisy. I was sure part of those birds were mine which dad always confirmed. The kids hit the sports
years and I found myself chasing the games more than my shorthairs. The shorthairs got old and past on. When the kids got out of college.we got out the guns and started shooting again. Taught all the girls how to shoot clays. Life is good. Sage, clays, guns, good music, some shooting games, their family all together having a good time. The next thing I knew the boys had shorthairs and we're out chasing birds and they are paying for the dog food. At
that point we lost one of the dogs to a bad neck wound. Well I got online and found abreeder with pups. It backfired on me. I ended up with the pup. My boy is waiting for a pup where he got his first one. Love my new little girl. She is 5 months old. Her grand sires are Fritz and Nuke it. At 57 what was I thinking. She can really cover some country. Part of the time without me. Guess that's why I'm here.

marcum

Post by marcum » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 am

Me:
My name is Rowdy Marcum. I am 27 and grew up in Newcastle, OK and live in Norman, OK. I started quail hunting with my dad when I was about 6 years old carrying my trusty Red Ryder. I can remember several occasions where I swore up and down I killed a quail. At the time I believed I did, but looking back I know I was just aiming at the one's my dad was shooting! Growing up, quail and pheasant hunting was pretty much a part of life. 90% of our bird hunting was done in western and northwestern OK as well as southwestern KS. The past few years, the weather has been really harsh on the pheasant and quail populations. Last year I took up duck hunting and have really been liking that a lot! Especially with the record numbers of ducks coming through and the closer places to hunt. I'm still hoping for continued upland improvement!! That will always be my favorite.

Dogs:
My dad is a huge English Pointer fan and we have had one or two pointers for as long as I have been alive. He did most of the training himself and I picked up a lot of my ideas towards dog training from him. I also spent a some time (mainly cleaning kennels, feeding dogs and assisting in the field) working part time for a privately owned kennel and trainer who primarily worked with retriever's. He joined us on several of our hunting trips and watching him hunt with his black lab "Sister" got me hooked! I loved watching that dog work and loved everything about it. I just recently got my first hunting partner and am on the adventure of training him up myself with the help of books, this forum and any one else with experience and expertise in the field. My pup's name is Banner and he is about 4 months old! He is a little machine and I've been loving every second of working with him thus far! I am excited to see him in action next year! That's him as my picture.

Thanks,

Rowdy Marcum

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:50 am

marcum wrote:Me:
My name is Rowdy Marcum. I am 27 and grew up in Newcastle, OK and live in Norman, OK. I started quail hunting with my dad when I was about 6 years old carrying my trusty Red Ryder. I can remember several occasions where I swore up and down I killed a quail. At the time I believed I did, but looking back I know I was just aiming at the one's my dad was shooting! Growing up, quail and pheasant hunting was pretty much a part of life. 90% of our bird hunting was done in western and northwestern OK as well as southwestern KS. The past few years, the weather has been really harsh on the pheasant and quail populations. Last year I took up duck hunting and have really been liking that a lot! Especially with the record numbers of ducks coming through and the closer places to hunt. I'm still hoping for continued upland improvement!! That will always be my favorite.

Dogs:
My dad is a huge English Pointer fan and we have had one or two pointers for as long as I have been alive. He did most of the training himself and I picked up a lot of my ideas towards dog training from him. I also spent a some time (mainly cleaning kennels, feeding dogs and assisting in the field) working part time for a privately owned kennel and trainer who primarily worked with retriever's. He joined us on several of our hunting trips and watching him hunt with his black lab "Sister" got me hooked! I loved watching that dog work and loved everything about it. I just recently got my first hunting partner and am on the adventure of training him up myself with the help of books, this forum and any one else with experience and expertise in the field. My pup's name is Banner and he is about 4 months old! He is a little machine and I've been loving every second of working with him thus far! I am excited to see him in action next year! That's him as my picture.

Thanks,

Rowdy Marcum
Welcome Rowdy, Your going to have years of fun with your hunting buddy. :)

mlodell07

Post by mlodell07 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 pm

michigander looking for info/help training a deer tracking dog. no experience so any tips or good resources are appreciated

jaholt

Post by jaholt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:53 pm

I'm 27 and I just got a Brit. He's only 4 months and I am trying to find advice on how and when to get him trained. I have introduced him to a pheasant wing and I'm trying to work with him on some puppy obedience. Some people have told me to get him in some classes and others have told me to do it myself. Also, he is a runner! I was advised to let him roam and enjoy being outside and in a field, up until he is a year old. Then start him out on an E-collar to keep him close. Basically I am lost as to knowing the best way to get his instincts kickin'. I want him to enjoy his puppy life with little stress but I guess I am a little eager to get him hunting. lol So any advice on these subjects would be GREATLY appreciated! Especially on the whole E collar thing. Is this safe with puppies? If so, how do I get started? Please help!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:50 am

jaholt wrote:I'm 27 and I just got a Brit. He's only 4 months and I am trying to find advice on how and when to get him trained. I have introduced him to a pheasant wing and I'm trying to work with him on some puppy obedience. Some people have told me to get him in some classes and others have told me to do it myself. Also, he is a runner! I was advised to let him roam and enjoy being outside and in a field, up until he is a year old. Then start him out on an E-collar to keep him close. Basically I am lost as to knowing the best way to get his instincts kickin'. I want him to enjoy his puppy life with little stress but I guess I am a little eager to get him hunting. lol So any advice on these subjects would be GREATLY appreciated! Especially on the whole E collar thing. Is this safe with puppies? If so, how do I get started? Please help!
Welcome!! Cut / copy and paste this post in the Training category. You will get plenty of advise. :)

London2012

Post by London2012 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi All My Chris i am 40 years old i am a Paralympic Athlete that compete for the United States in London 2012 Games. I have two Labs chocolate "hope" and black " sadie" they both great hunting buddies cause they lost most of the time. I live in AZ for the last year where i live at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista Ca for the last 4years. I love bird hunting since i could remember i grow up in the midwest on a farm and always had birds on it so i learn how to hunt from that experience and i have always done it since then. I would like to meet others in my area like utah, ca ,nm , or tx to some great bird hunts drop me an email and we will go from there thanks and god bless the US and "GO Navy"

azmike

Post by azmike » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Hello to all
My name is Michael Mccluskey
from Arizona
I have a German Shorthaired she is a 17 month old pup
We both love to hunt quail here in AZ
My wife bought me my pup when my boys went into the service (army)she got tired of me getting in her space
Well, getting this dog did just that. It got me out of her hair
I am 53 yrs old
Idrive a trash truck in the valley here

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Welcome Mike! Join the Arizona Pointing Dog Club and you will meet a lot of guys like you that got kicked out of the house too :)
http://www.azpdc.org/
Seriously, its a good group of men and women who have the same interest in dogs and hunting.

Tia

Post by Tia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Everyone,
Bob here and I live in Boise, Idaho. The last 5-6 years I have spent modifying street bikes and drag racing them. My best time in the 1/4 mile was 9.44 @ 146 mph. At 52 it's time I slow down a little lol! and the bike is for sale. I have been pheasant hunting on occasion and find that is something, along with hunting duck, chucker and quail, I want to focus more of my time on. I had the opportunity to see a GSP working via video and decided that is what I want to do-hunt with a GSP. I have been reading books, reviewing this forum and just ordered perfect start perfect finish. I also had the opportunity to hunt with the new pups dad and it was an awesome experience.

On Dec. 21st we will be bringing home our 8 week old GSP pup. She will be our first hunting dog. We are excited to welcome a new member of the family and with support from others, plan to do our best training her.

Cheers,
Bob

Frankug

A little about you...

Post by Frankug » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:45 pm

New Member:
Hi I'm Frank and I have dogs. Love running around the woods here in Georgia chasing rabbits. I have six Wirehaired Dachshunds three beagles up until this morning. More about that in a minute. I have a Bavarian Mountain Hound I trained to track wounded deer. A coon hound. Been around bird dogs my whole life. I just got an English Cocker Spaniel, bought a few for my parents to retrieve their quail a while back. Neat dogs. The dogs I bought for them had pups and I got one of those, his name is Hank. Wondering if anybody used an English Cocker to hunt rabbits here in the States? Seen it in Europe. Any way thoughts?
Back to the Beagles. Got up this morning and took all the dogs out. Cloud cover and somewhat cool, perfect! We tromped through the woods for about 2 hours, nothing. Dogs getting bored. The beagles are all litter mates and of the dirt road sport variety. About a year old. A have seen them hunting, thinking about speaking and doing a little speaking. Hadn't really thought about putting on the shock collars yet. My older Dachshunds haven't worn one in years. I know there level of honesty. We were working our way back through a hardwood drain and boom the beagles explode on something. Farvenugen! A few of my Dachshunds were speaking but not the honest ones. It's 100 acres of 14 year old planted pines with a thirty yard wide hardwood drain down the middle. I can't see anything!! When I get to where all the action was everybody was there, except the beagles. I could hear them stretching it out to the edge of hearing. There where all the dogs were was what appeared to be a massive deer scrape. The size of my Kubota Rtv. I had seen a normal sized one earlier and it was fresh. Late late late rutting? Beagles still kicking "bleep" on whatever it was! Deer? I have hogs on the property too. I don't know? Probably a "bleep" deer! Anyway if anybody sees three beagles kicking "bleep" on unknown quarry, let me know! Might be in Tennessee by now.

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi all my name is Mike I'm a firefighter outside of Boston. I enjoy 4wheeling, snomobiling, hunting everything from Caribou to grey squirrel .But nothing better than bird over dog !! My family and I have decided to get a GSP . He will be the first dog I've trained to hunt. So please stand by I'll be looking for advice. Thanks in advance

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:43 pm

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
I am a 46-year-old male, married with two sons, one is in the Army and the other is a junior in high school. I am a mental health counselor and work with families of at risk children. I have been hunting since I was old enough to do so. I like to deer hunt, rabbit hunt, pheasant hunt, and duck hunt. I currently have a 8-week-old GSP pup that is the first pointer I have ever had and will train. I have had beagles and labs in the past and I have been hunting with dogs for almost 20-years now. I used to field trial my beagles and ran my labs in UKC hunt tests, and would like to trial this GSP when I get a better understanding of the breed and the game.

Am looking forward to learning whatever I can from the people on the website as well as developing some friendships.

Eric

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:04 am

greg jacobs wrote:Hello everyone
I'm Greg Jacobs
Male
From eastern washington
57 the last time I did the math.
Been hunting since I got my first trusty daisy. I was sure part of those birds were mine which dad always confirmed. The kids hit the sports
years and I found myself chasing the games more than my shorthairs. The shorthairs got old and past on. When the kids got out of college.we got out the guns and started shooting again. Taught all the girls how to shoot clays. Life is good. Sage, clays, guns, good music, some shooting games, their family all together having a good time. The next thing I knew the boys had shorthairs and we're out chasing birds and they are paying for the dog food. At
that point we lost one of the dogs to a bad neck wound. Well I got online and found abreeder with pups. It backfired on me. I ended up with the pup. My boy is waiting for a pup where he got his first one. Love my new little girl. She is 5 months old. Her grand sires are Fritz and Nuke it. At 57 what was I thinking. She can really cover some country. Part of the time without me. Guess that's why I'm here.
Well Greg, I was 56 when I got my GSP. I think you and I will be in better shape than our older compatriots without GSP's! I just put on 3 pounds in the last 2 days over Chistmas and told my wife I have to get out hunting to lose this weight! I notice the knees tend to lock up if I kneel down and try to get back up. So a bit of advice: keep moving and don't rest or lay down out in the field, or you may be making a 911 call saying,"I have fallen and can't get up".

Dragharley1

Post by Dragharley1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:13 pm

42 years old from ct
Heavy equipment mechanic
Married
2 daughters age 6 and 3
Got involved in hunting from my father in law started hunting ducks and geese and then pheasants which I love ,just got a wirehaired pointing griffon after wanting a hunting dog for years so I'm hoping to get out a lot with my pup this year

montanabrit

Post by montanabrit » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:58 am

Hello all, My name is Lee. I am a 24 year old student studying accounting at Montana State University. When not at school, I reside in Kalispell, MT. I do most of my hunting in central Montana just north of Great Falls. I have an 8 month old Brittany girl named Sadie. She has a crazy prey drive. She is a bit on the small size. Just over 20 lbs. I have had her on birds since she was a pup and am just now starting to to do more intense yard work. I have had dogs all my life but she is the first hunting dog I have had. Looking forward to doing some field trials this spring and having a great hunting partner for years to come.

jbowlby

Post by jbowlby » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello
I live in Murfreesboro TN close to Nashville. We have a 10 Month old Brittany (Belle). My Avatar photo is from her 1st hunting trip to South Dakota this past October (6 months old). We have a membership at Quail Vally Hunting Club and are in the process of training and hope to have her finished by this April. My Wife is also interested in hunting, i'm also in the process of teaching her how to shoot her new Browning BPS 20Ga Youth Model.
This fall I would like to hunt the Texas Panhandle for wild Quail.

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi, I am Allan. I live here in Lake Charles La. I am 54 yrs old and Slowly getting back into upland hunting. I'm married with nice guns that would just love to get back into the woods. I always loved woodcock quail and dove hunting. I had a nice Lab that would flush and retrieve until he passed back in 1996. I left hunting after that because I missed my hunting buddy. I am now slowly trying to get back in before I am to old because I love the flush, the birds and the smell of spent shells.
I also have decent double in 12,20,and 28 gauge. THEY NEED TO BE FIRED! Anyway I have worked in Lake Charles for the past 27+ years for Conoco/Phillips66 and ExcelParalubes. Hope this give you a little background on me, Just an average guy trying to get back to nature. Hi guys and gals!

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi,
My name is David and live in Sarasota Fl. I hunt birds and deer (no turkeys). I lost my first bird dog, a GWP, back in June to cancer. I am starting my search for a new GWP and getting my self back into training mode. I only recently found this site and am greatfull. I wish I new about this site when I got my first dog. Everything is so helpful.

Brigade Brittanys

Post by Brigade Brittanys » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Bark, Bark! Happy NewYear! My name is Mike, whelped in 1939. My wife Deborah and I have 7 Brittanys, all gun dogs. Yeah a real change of life began 14 years ago! In our Brigade we have true dual dogs. Three AKC Show Champions, one is a Grand Champion, Bronze, 2 AKC Master Hunters, 1 AKC Senior Hunter, with a Master leg. And over 50 AKC field trial placements. We have hunted the Quail of the West, California, Gambels, Scaled and Mearns, Chukar and Pheasant too. I think 28 gauge guns are super, and like vintage doubles, Fox, LC, Parker and reload for all. Living in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, where our hunting and gun rights are under continuous assault.

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi my name is David am 40 and live in Sarasota Fl. I lost my GWP back in June to cancer. My wife and I are ready to start looking for a new GWP pup for early summer. In my search for breeders I stumbled across this site and love it. I wish I new about it back when I was still training my dog. Anyway I look forward to learning from you all and hope I may Evan be able to contribute.

buddyboy

Post by buddyboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm new to the forum. I live in Northeast Texas and have 2 English Pointers. Love to quail and pheasant hunt. I'm 52 years old and work as a supervisor in the oil field. Spend to much time working and not enough time hunting.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello all, I am Allan. I live in Lake Charles La. I am slowly getting back into upland hunting. When my dog passed in 1996 I kinda lost the will to hunt. He was a nice Labrador named "wiseguy" and truly he was just that. A great flusher and retriever. I would like to find someone in the area to hunt with. Here in South west Louisiana we have great woodcock habitat. Married, one child and my better half which I still adore to this day. I have had a good life, We are truly blessed in this country. Anyway again, Hello all and hope the new year bring you happiness.

padraig

Post by padraig » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:29 pm

hi all ,padraig here im 32 yrs old and from ireland and i work in construction , only shooting 2 yr , i have 2 dogs a springer spaniel 1yr and 11mths old called lenny and an english cross german pointer 11mths old called hooper .

brettc

A little about you...

Post by brettc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm

How's it going, my names Brett. 25 year old male. Just put a downpayment on my first hunting dog. I live in ohio and I decided to go with a gsp. Mostly want a family friend and a hunting buddy. I'm looking forward to picking up some helpful information on here. Thanks.

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Hey all,

I'm a 30 year old Pastor from North Dakota.

I moved out here from Michigan, & none of my friends here have a hunting dog. Decided to get a GSP pup, & figured I'd find a forum for advice on training.
looked online, & this is far & away the best dog forum I;ve found!

looking forward to gleaning information!

THANKS

AWSjr

Post by AWSjr » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:17 pm

I am a Texas bird hunter, emphasis on dogs, don't really care if I carry a shotgun anymore. Hunted quail in the hay day...in Texas...1960-1980...lots of birds and lots of bird dogs. I hope it comes back. I have a really hot Brittany, sire was a Natl Champ, she is 10 months old, points and retrieves, I didn't say back...but she will eventually. This puppy will carry me to the promise land.
AWSjr
Grosvenor, Texas
No birds, No bird dogs....

AWSjr

Post by AWSjr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:07 am

Hi kids, I AWSjr, Grosvenor Texas, quail capital of the world in 1966 but not now. I am an old (70) bird hunter, more interested in the dogs pointing, backing, and retrieving than shooting. I love this sport and would rather train a puppy than eat. The picture is my new/last puppy, Roxy, hot blooded and full of herself, she is 10 months old, been pointing since she was 6 weeks old, retrieving since the first bird was shot over her at 7 months and has been a very pleasant surprise to me. She is very biddable and hunts for me, so I am having lots of fun with her. She is the last one, and will take me into the great beyond. Take a kid hunting, and remember: no birds, no bird dogs.
AWSjr
Grosvenor, Texas
No birds, No bird dogs....

ACRblaze

Post by ACRblaze » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:57 am

Hello All - I am a 43 year old married man with a 12 year old son and a 3 month old pup. My son has been shooting for years and this year I took him pheasant hunting and he was hooked. So much in fact I went out and bought female labrador pup for Sundog Working Labs. Never owned my own hunting dog before now so it should be fun spending time with the dog and the boy doing some training. We will primarily hunt pheasant in PA and "bleep" on the Chesapeake. Zoey is 2 months old in the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello all ... my name is Chet. I'm 61, live in Pennsylvania and I've been hunting and shooting since I was a kid. My dog is a 5 1/2 year old GSP female and we hunt Grouse and Pheasant. My shotgun is an old Ithaca Model 37 that I've been using for years. I joined the forum because I enjoy reading about gundogs, upland game hunting and sharing stories and information with other gundog owners.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 am

I'm Kyle 30 years old. I own 2 GSP's Breacher and Laila, and lost my third Charlie in November 2013 to cancer. I have my fourth GSP coming this fall and can't wait to have a new dog to train. I have been hunting for as long as I can remember. At or 6 or 7 I remember following my Dad and his Britts through the woods for pheasant, grouse and woodcock. When I first joined the military I knew I was going to buy my first bird dog. GSP's were suggested for the versatility of being able to hunt the pain meadows of eastern NC, the dense woods in New England and the wide open West. After getting my first dog I was hooked and now it seems empty in the house with only two. I chase wild Bobwhite Quail at every opportunity, but I think I was born 50 years too late. The hunting in NC is just not what it was or could be. I have plans to help fix that once I retire from the military. I am working on a degree in Wildlife Conservation with a specialty of upland game birds. Hunting and gun dogs have become my passion, and hopefully one day I will get paid to take my dogs to work and convince people enroll their land in programs that will improve the natural habitat. When I am not at work or with the dogs, I shoot skeet and reload.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

Brittany birddog

A little about you...

Post by Brittany birddog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum, looking to learn a lot and better train my dog
I have a American Brittany who 10 months old. I have 4 boys so haven't had time to bird train him.. Looking to do so now..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391631624.831343.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

billyb1960

Post by billyb1960 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm Billy, 53 years young. Live in AL. Enjoy duck hunting in the Delta and AR. I have an 11 year old yellow lab named Josey (MH). We have had a great partnership over the last eleven years. He is my first hunting companion. He has battled elbow problems the last 6 years, on n saids, but he still loves to hunt. Looks like I'm going to get Josey a little brother from Wildrose Kennels this fall. Josey will be a great teacher! I'm looking forward to the three of us learning together. If anybody has any experience with Wildrose, let me know.

ozrider81

Post by ozrider81 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:31 am

hey i'm daniel 32yr old based in Victoria Australia, been hunting duck for over 15yrs been going hunting trips with dad since i was 5yr old :P, i'm just a lackie in a local abbotoirs, trying to make few dollars.
We had weimaraners when i was growing up who worked well retrieving duck and lazying around the loungeroom with family, for a while we were dogless as family did travelling around oz during our teenage years.
I've just recently went out and picked up my first dog a male Brittney Spaniel 11 weeks at time this post with the purpose of building him up to work quail and duck, and atm he is just a ratbag running around the house chasing birds in backyard, joined up to learn more and eventually post up pictures and video's.

Ninevehn

Post by Ninevehn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Hey, I'm Brian, 28 years old, live in NE Kansas. My brother got an Irish Setter in the fall of 2012, and I've been having a blast talking dogs and helping him with training. It's really turned me on to hunting dogs and I'm planning on getting one of my own in a few years. We hunt mostly pheasant and quail, though I'm breaking into ducks and geese on my own. I'm here to read and ask questions, and hopefully post my own experiences someday.

Beniciahd

Post by Beniciahd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:38 pm

My name is Chris. I live in Benicia, which is in the Bay Area in Northern California. I'm 38. I grew up hunting all kinds of animals but in the last 15 years I haven't gone much. Our family is getting our first Gsp in a few weeks and are excited. I've had Labs in the past. I'm excited to get our Molly trained and to get back in the field. Thanks for reading!

donovant

Post by donovant » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:04 am

My name is Terry I own a one year old pudelpointer purchased from Cedarwood kennels in Boise, ID. I have pheasant hunted for about 50 years since I was a youngster with my dad. Ezzy, my dog is great and started training him on shot birds at 5 months old. He had a good first pheasant season. He is a kind smart dog, and I think a lot of him. We spend a lot of time together after I get home. I am a school teacher. Unfortunately I am spending more time than I have. He comes in for a while in the evenings after I run him and go through maintenance drills with him. I am going to have to sell him and it is hard. We get along well.

ndoilman

Post by ndoilman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm a 32 year old entrepreneur. I own two businesses in the Bakken oil field of ND. One is a workforce housing company and the other is oil field waste disposal.

First time I've ever hunted was this fall....best experience of my life. My family wasn't outdoors, but I love it. Taught myself how to fish as well. I love to ice fish, boat fish and now pheasant hunt. Just got a GSP and have no clue how to train her. Hope to get some help on this site.

TJ

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 pm

51, male Painting contractor living in Poulsbo WA. I own a Deutsch Kurzhaar named Hanz I love hunting any kind of upland game.
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"

gspjeb

Post by gspjeb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:40 pm

hello all

live in Fayetteville NC and have been following bird dogs for most of my 46 years. I currently have an 11 year old GSP that is the best dog I have had the pleasure of sharing a house with.

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:24 pm

gspjeb wrote:hello all

live in Fayetteville NC and have been following bird dogs for most of my 46 years. I currently have an 11 year old GSP that is the best dog I have had the pleasure of sharing a house with.
Welcome to the club, I was stationed at Fort Bragg in the early 80's.
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"

Senah

Post by Senah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 am

Live in Montana and have a 16 month old German Shorthaired Pointer male out of No-Mars in Idaho. We have him along with everything we do (hiking, hunting trips by canoe, snowshoeing...), and he has been performing well with mountain grouse, pheasants, geese & ducks (those last two mostly when it's warm enough). We have him out several days every week, and decided to train him ourselves. It has been pretty good though GSPs are smart and that means trouble sometimes. He's a family dog as well as a hunting dog, but being bred for hunting and drive was our main requirement when getting him. Looking forward to sharing and gleaning knowledge from others about training ups and downs with their dogs.

Irish Loop Setters

Post by Irish Loop Setters » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 am

My name is Corey, I am a 28 male from Newfoundland, Canada. In terms of upland game, I hunt willow ptarmigan over two English and one Red Setter. I also hunt waterfowl, moose and I am an avid fly fisherman, for mostly sea run brook trout and atlantic salmon. To fund my hobbies I work in the oil and gas industry as a production engineer. Growing up in a small fishing community, hunting and fishing have been part of my life from my earlies memories, but I shot my first ptarmigan at 14ish and have been hooked ever since. I look forward to learning as much as possible on this site and will soon be in the market for a second Red Setter. Cheers!

Brucetonya

Post by Brucetonya » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am

My name is Bruce and I live in Parker City, In. I just got back into the bird dog scene with another English Setter. I have an eight hole dog trailer I'm selling from when I had many dogs. I don't think I'll get there again in the future. It's a diamond plate aluminum box with a storage box in front. I'm asking $6000 obo. Call or text me at 765-748-3975

Cubby1285

Post by Cubby1285 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Hello my name is Roy and I'm 32. I own 4 American Brittanys (Orange & White) and enjoy hunting pheasant, quail, and chuckar. I've been upland hunting for the past 10 years and have been active in hunt tests and field trials for the past 4. I'm excited to learn more about upland hunting, training dogs, and having fun. Thanks for having me here.

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:32 pm

My names Luke I live in williston nd, born and raised, I work for a oilfield company in Sucker Rod Sales, I'm fortunate to work from home and able to get out in the field or on the water often! I have had 3 different wirehairs but am now in the search for a gsp, I live to hunt and fish it's my passion, I have good friends and a great girlfriend, and that's about it!

Ceige209

Post by Ceige209 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:09 am

Hello y'all,
Name is Chuck Souser, 27, male.
I'm active duty Army, currently stationed on Ft Bragg, NC. First season hunting last year. Loved it, even though I didn't get much of anything. Just got a new GSP pup, 7 weeks old. Look forward to learning how to train him, as well as myself. Any one in the area feel free to contact me, I'm always wanting to get out and about.