A little about you...

gunnersmom

Re: A little about you...

Post by gunnersmom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:31 am

Hi my name is Chris (Christine)
I'm 49 and married to a great guy
I currently have one dog..shhh, he doesn't know he is a dog most of the time. His name is Gunner. He is 7 moths old and a Weim
I have never bird hunted but am looking forward to learning and helping Gunner learn.
I am self employed, doing construction re-model work and my Hubby is a retired Firefighter.
We live in Southern Ohio

Chris

jer_allen27

Post by jer_allen27 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi all,
My name is Jeremy Allen from Grants NM. I'm 28 years old and married to my wonderful wife and have 3 little dudes in which they are my life. I've been hunting and fishing all my life. I've done a little bit of bird hunting quail, dove, ducks, and geese. I've recently purchased a pup from Charles Rose of Wild rose german shorthairs. I should say it was a gift from my wife she did it all and surprised me, but I cant get it until around 1st week of April or so. So hope to get know some of y'all.

RoosterBuster

Post by RoosterBuster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:25 pm

I am a 25 year old Welder who has been hunting since I was 12, and shooting bb guns and .22 long before that. I do a lot of whitetail hunting, just got into pheasant hunting this year thanks to a friend at work (I truly got addicted). I want to get back into waterfowl hunting, as it was a good thing to do when the weather got bad ;) We just got lucky this winter and adopted a Chesapeake/Lab cross that came into an adoption/rescue place not far from us (apparently his parents got too close to each other out in the field). I had been looking into getting a GSP for quite a while, then was going back and forth between a flusher or a pointer, then when we saw the pup up for adoption, I made up my mind. I am not to worried about his pedigree, just as long as I can have a hunting partner that lives out a long and healthy life. Don't plan on any competitions, just whose dog works better out in the field ;)

Hoping to learn a lot on these boards so I can have a dog that works great in the field!

huntcrazed

Post by huntcrazed » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:06 am

Hello everybody!

My name Is Mario and I am a single male 53 years young :D
I started shooting birds among other things when I was 7 years old with an adult air rifle when I was being raised in southern Europe.
I have been around hunting dogs all my life and I came to the States to go to college and had bird dogs of my own since then.
Some of my best dogs have been a Red setter,Brittanies,a springer spaniel,and the best was a male shorthair from a DK female and a Wyoming GSP breeding.
A little over a decade ago I retired to persue my dream of hunting as much as possible and I live more than half of every year in my RV hunting wild birds.
I ussually start first of Sept in Idaho on grouse and then lots of chukkar and huns with the occasional pheasant and quail on my way to chukar both here in Idaho and in Oregon.
I always make sure I will hunt the whole season of mearns at various locations by the Mexican border.
Since I live in the field for hunting a little too much for most peoples standards I have found my self trying to find the ideal bird dogs and when I get close I always seem to have a hard time mantaining the standards that please me the most, since I never learned or did any breeding but I have been fortunate enough to get some great help from great people involved with good dogs .
I am down to one dog right now and ussually like to have two good ones or more or just two great ones :mrgreen:
Last year I lost one old veteran and now I have his grant son, an eight year old liver and white Brit from a FT line of breeding that I got since it was a pup.
I will be trying a DK next and I am dreaming of finding again what I always considered the best dog I ever came across so far.
Just found this site from a friend and I look forward to all the fun from learning from all of you here and sharing our experiences.

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Sun May 02, 2010 4:45 pm

I am 58 years old and have recently retired. I have 2 Britts... French Britt? American Britt? I don't know isn't there a little irony here? Anyway I have Brittanys. I am from the Northwest and mostly hunt chukars.That right there shows that I have less brains than the average upland bird hunter. Have enjoyed reviewing some of the threads and have learned alot.

Thanks,
Dan

lumpy2181

Post by lumpy2181 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Name: Will
Sex: Male
Marital Status; Married, 2 1/2 years to Liz
Dogs: Mickey (Male, YL/GR mix 3yrs old) & Charlie (Male, Black Lab 1 1/2yrs old).
Story: I just got into hunting waterfowl last year and was instantly hooked. I have had Mickey for almost 3 yrs now and Charlie was supposed to be a birthday present for the wife but he has become my hunter. Mickey makes a great cuddle buddy according to my wife. I got to take Charlie out the last day of the season and he surprised me how well he did with as little training as I was able to complete. Since then I have gotten more interested in the hunt test world and dog training (I might have found a job for after I retire from the Marines) so i figured I would join on here and learn what I can and teach what I know. I am a member on DHC as well so a few of you already know me from there. Have a good one.

Will

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun May 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Welcome to GDF.Thank you also .

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Sun May 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Well I'm a male and I'm 21 and from Houston but I go to school at TCU in Fort Worth. I mostly deer hunt, however, I love to dove hunt and now I'm going to start doing a lot more quail and pheasant since I got Tucker, my 8 month old German shorthair. I got him right before Christmas as a surprise present from my girl friend (best gift I've ever gotten, that's for sure!). I will be studying abroad from May 19-July 24th, so Tucker will be getting trained at Anderson Gun Dogs in Decatur, TX. I would love to train him myself but I can't because of school work/lack of experience. Here are some pictures too:

Right when I got him

Standing up/kind of pointing at a dove outside haha

Kedabosch

Post by Kedabosch » Mon May 03, 2010 7:44 am

I am Kevin, 28 yrs old, male. I am a Sous Chef. I am married (6.5 yrs) and have 4 handsome boys ranging from 5yrs to 8mos. I have been hunting since I was about 5 with my uncle and cousin. Got a high powered bb/pellet gun at 7 and began pest fowl hunting on my grandfathers 40 acres with the same cousin. I have had four dogs to date, but my current is my first gundog (I hope). My current dog is an 8 wk old Chocolate Lab. His name is Cosmo. He is AKC limited registation. Both sire and dam are gundogs, very acomplished in fact. Many field trial championships between them. So far he doesn't seem scared by loud noises, I play lots of first-person shooters and the simulated gunsots don't even wake him from a nap next to the speaker. Going to start flusher/retriver training after he's housebroken/crate trained. Just a heads up since I am new to Gundogs I will probably have lots of stupid questions so bare with me.

jcbjr

Post by jcbjr » Mon May 10, 2010 9:54 pm

55, almost 56, male veterinarian in Cherokee Co., GA. Married, 12 kids :!: 23 yrs. to 16 mos. finally, after a long succession of frufru pets, I got the dogs I've always wanted :D . 3 (1male, 2 female) English Setters from Ryman/ Old Hemlock lines( I need a dog I can keep up with!) I've been away from bird hunting for a long time, and eagerly anticipate my return. Planning on mostly quail, with some trips to the mountains for the elusive grouse. I'd be glad to help with any vet questions, as long as you don't mind my training questions in return. Anyone in N. GA interested in getting together for training? I' also planning on raising quail for training; gotta build the facilities first. Will post pics of pups later. they are 7 and 8 weeks old now.

bye for now.....................JB

triplebbirddog

Post by triplebbirddog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:45 pm

I live in sioux falls south dakota and spend a great majority of my time back around my home town of pierre sd chasing pheasants, shaptail grouse, prairie chickens, and all the waterfowl i can get under. grew up around labs my whole life and still enjoy hunting and training them, but my passion is in the pointing dog world. I just lost a 3 yr old gsp this spring to tragic death. he was a navhda prize 1 112 and a perfect 4 for 4 in the junior hunt test level of akc. I have now purchased a llewelin setter. i try to get my hands on as many bird dogs each spring regardless of type to train them. it is hard to beat a good gsp. prefer the old german type dogs. if any one out there is intrested in a great gsp check out horizon kennels out of sioux falls. He is doing a phenomenal job breeding natural bird dogs. I enjoy the akc hunt test format the best because i enjoy bracing up with other dogs and watching the various breeds hunt. Good luck and good training

SavvyFM3

Post by SavvyFM3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:27 am

39, Horticultural sales, living in Nor Cal. I have been hunting and fishing since I can remember and trained my first gun dog (Lab) at 18. Since then I have had GSP's, and DD's and have found myself hooked on training DD's along with helping out others. During the season I try to duck hunt 1-2 days a week along with a trip or two for chuckers and huns in CA, NV or OR, Along with a deer and some year round pigs.

Bottom line there is nothing better than a good bird dog (Any Breed)

kimmy.doglover

Post by kimmy.doglover » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 am

kimmy, 23

iam about to be 1 year in owning a dog, but i have been a dog lover ever since i was a child. i have a lab 3 months old, but i am expecting a hunting dog as a gift from a friend, still don't know much about this breed. so iam looking forward in learning a lot of things from you guys...thanks...

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:29 pm

My name is Jarred, I am 28, and in the Insurance Bis... I have been Pheasant hunting in Kansas for the past about 5 years, None of us have dogs, just been a old row jumper, HAHA!! I have always gone pheasant hunting with my granfather, and he just pasted away in april, and he always wanted a new dog, and loved brittanys, so two weeks after his funeral i drove to Topeka Ks, and picked up a French Brittany, that is almost six months old. I am as green as it get with training him, but luckily he is as smart as a whip. Anyway, I am doing all i can to learn to train him, All of our friends we go and stay with in Kansas no the story behind My new dog and new passion for bird dogs, and can't wait to hunt behind him. Red is a great addition to our home. I basically have all the basics down, per George Hickox, i am going to do everything in my power to train him, but he will be going to a trainer soon, If anyone has any tips on owning thier first gun dog, trainin your first bird dog, i welcome all the help i can get...

Jarred

heelerdog

Post by heelerdog » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm a 41 year old male. I'm married, with 4 children, and recently became a grandfather. I've hunted upland for years, and have wanted a dog. Last week I adopted a 2 year old German Shorthair Pointer, Riley. So far he has been a kick in the pants. My wife removed the first, of many I'm sure, foxtails from his eye tonight. Riley is pretty well trained already, but I'm learning on the fly so I'm certain I'll have many questions. Riley is better than at least half the dogs I've hunted with so I don't want to screw him up.

dreamsister4ever

Post by dreamsister4ever » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:26 pm

My name is Mary McKeever. My husband and I just got our French Brittany Spaniel. He is currently 9.5 wks old, and is a black/white roan pup. He is a joy to have in the home. Sharing our home also are our two daughters Savannah 3yrs and Harleigh 2yrs. We live near Wausau, WI, and I look forward to learning as much as I can about training this little guy.

Thanks,

Mary

sstam

Post by sstam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 pm

My name is Sarah, I'm 32 years old and live in a suburb of Boston MA with my husband Jeff and our 4-ish year old rescued English Setter, Gunther. We adopted him about 7 months ago, he was picked up as a stray in Kansas, adopted by a setter rescue league, driven to PA and spent 8 months in a kennel before coming to us. I'm joining this forum in the hopes of finding guidance in training and obedience. We have the basics down, but we can't hunt with him regularly and sincerely want to provide him with the type of mental stimulation that he was bred to respond to. He gets lots of time outside, and is mostly only interested in birds (or cats, or squirrels). I'm also curious if anyone has experience with a 'nervous' gun dog - Gunther is terrified of loud bangs, pops, fireworks and trucks - he will cower with his nose between our knees or under our feet, or actually try to climb on a lap (which he is never allowed to do). Perhaps he was made gun shy?

Anyway, I'll look around the forums and see if anyone has any thoughts / experience.

Best to all,
Sarah

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:41 am

Suppose I should add to this post since I've been reaping the benefits of the rest of this forum for a little while now. I'm 27 years old. I work as an executive for a mental health/counseling agency. I live in central Iowa (where there used to be birds). I have a wife of 5 years, a daughter about to turn 1, and another baby due in February (hoping for a boy!). Two dogs, Macy, a 2 yr old English Cocker, and Rocky, a 3 month old cocker. I've recently started training with someone who has FT and HT experience with springers, and would like to get started on HTs in the fall. I grew up in the country and have been shooting pheasants since I was 9 years old. The low bird numbers in the state are forcing me to look at other options to keep things exciting for my dogs. I've enjoyed the forum so far!

highcaliber

Post by highcaliber » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi I am Allison, My husband and I are really into field trials. I just heard about this website, I can't believe we didn't know about this site! We have a herd of dogs, Weims, GSP, Vizslas... Most of them hunt. We just had a litter of Vizslas a few months back, it was our first one. Our Male, FC Kick Em Up Bullett and our female, JH Kick Em Up Tikka had 5 Girls and 2 boys! We still have a boy and a girl left, plus we kept one for ourselves. They keep us pretty busy as they are only 12 weeks old. We are getting ready for fall trial season espcecially Vizsla Nationals in Fort Robinson NB. Field trials are "a family affair" as our dogs and horses are our kids so the whole crew loads up and goes. My husband and I are so happy we found a competative sport that we both love and that we can enjoy with our pets!

pennyfarmer

Post by pennyfarmer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:31 am

I am a duck hunter mostly. I am looking to get a dog soon that I can train. I have not attempted to train a dog for a very long time. I have a 14 yo shorthair wiemerimer mix. He never really went hunting. I just got back into hunting about 3 years ago.

I will have lots of questions I am sure. I have not had a puppy for a very long time.
New owner of a perfect angel puppy. At least that is what my wife and kids call him. Do I have a problem?? Maybe but they will get over it. I am trying to raise a gundog over here.

MJinMN

Post by MJinMN » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:39 am

After reading this forum for months, I figured I should just register and become more active. I'm 39, live in the outer suburbs of Minneapolis. I took up hunting years ago when my wife and I purchased a black lab pup. I'm now on my second dog, a 1.5 year old english springer spaniel, and I'm dipping my toes into the field trial world this fall as he starts puppy stakes. Seems like there's mostly pointing dog folks on this site, but it still has been useful to me, thanks.

debrajo

Post by debrajo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Female, 49 years old. Real Estate Broker and part time Teacher (high school), Texas, US. Currently have 3 labs living with us. The oldest female, Sugar, is the alpha and we've had her 5 years, bred once. Sugar belongs to my 14 year old. Spencer is a male, 2 years old, one of Sugar's pups.

Our newest member is Buddy. 60lb white male. I will place either Buddy or Spencer as 3 labs is a bit much (my other daughter has a beagle). He (Buddy) was dumped here about a month ago. He is probably about 2 years old, not neutered. VERY strong retrieve drive and wants to please. More "crazy" than stubborn, unless he is masking his true stubbornness with his high drive and "insanity" when retrieving.

My initial post is in regards to our newest member, Buddy. He seems to have many desirable traits, which is why I want to invest some work in him before making a final decision to keep him or place him. For one, I have become attached to him very quickly. I haven't had a "my buddy" dog in years. This could well be my pal for years to come.

Training experience is limited but long term. I have worked with my dogs since I was a child, starting with Gun Dog (for my German Shepard, lol). I have a good feel for working with dogs but do not have experience with rigorous disciplined field training.

Buddy does not necessarily have to be a champion in the field, but does need to be able to go on hunts, etc with discipline. Particularly he needs to be able to contain himself when any type of retrieve is available. At this point one cannot even appear to reach down to pick up a stick or ball without him going nuts.

My specific questions will follow in the forum.
Thanks!
Debra

GSPdude

Post by GSPdude » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:30 pm

My name is Chris, I'm 34 and the owner of a 6 mo old GSP. I live and work on the east side of the mountains in Yakima, WA. I am a biologist for a independent enviro consulting firm, and my pup gets to come to work with me almost all of the time. This year will be my first season hunting birds, as well as my dogs. I am attempting to train her myself which is proving challenging and nearly as expensive as paying a trainer what with gear and birds and feed. I have a feeling that I will be posting quite often with questions and requests for moral support. I would love to get invloved in Hunt Trials, Field Trials or any "Bird Dog" activities in my area, but have been suprised by the lack of clubs here....

Anyway, thats us, give a shout if you'd like.

Thanks,

Chris B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A gun gives you the body, not the bird"
-H D Thoreau

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:10 am

My names John, I'm 28, and a full time student / biological technician. Married for almost two months now to my wonderful wife Ashley, we are expecting a gsp puppy around February, so I though I'd join early and gather as much info as possible. I've hunted grouse and pheasants since I was 12, but never over a dog, so I'm pretty excited, and also have recently gotten into waterfowl hunting. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon enough.

Thanks,

John

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 am

Welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy and we can help with yoru education.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSPdude

Post by GSPdude » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

I thought I was a bird freak until I gave Ruby her first pigeon.....
"A gun gives you the body, not the bird"
-H D Thoreau

GUNNERSATX

Post by GUNNERSATX » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Hey my name is Ernest from San Antonio, TX. I have a 4 yr old yellow Lab named Gunner that I trained (retrieve) using several tools like videos and books. He has only dove hunted but has done very well. I really enjoyed every minute spent in training and seeing him perform out in the field. I'd like to get another lab soon and start from scratch.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:26 pm

My names Dustin I'm 28. I'm from Hayfield, Mn. I'm a journeyman electrician and avid hunter and fisherman. I've always checked this forum out in the past but never had been a member til today. I've been hunting birds and deer since I was 13.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 am

Dustin,

Seems to me you'd be close to some decent pheasant hunting down there. Welcome to the GDF.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

SXS ohio

Post by SXS ohio » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:36 am

My name is Kenny Graft Im double nickles...55 Love to hunt game birds with vintage SXS shotguns...(-: I live in Ohio that has few wild birds left now days. Will have to travel to go bird hunting. Been to Kansas two times and P.A. grouse one time so far. Im in need of a new hunting partner as my old friend has gone to better hunting grounds, she was a good and loyal beagle freind. I have always hunted balw mouth beagles but now prefer bird hunting over cottontails...may get two dogs one of each? I love quality doubles and good dogs. Im into the experience of a good hunt not the body count. I own Shooting Stars Firearms , Old time type gun shop....the owners in the store! I sell new,used and everthing inbetween. Its a good life but very busy...youg wife, home and buisness, hunt/fish camp, ride harleys and Florida condo (wife)......Fall is the best time of the year! and the most buisy as well. I plan to get a started bird dog and may have help finnishing as well. Gordon setter, ryman setter or maybe GSP? Need a dog for Kansas birds and northern grouse. Any of those three will work excelent. Will be narrowing my choice over the spring and summer, locating dogs for final pick and building new kennel.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 am

Name: Ryan Richardson
Marital Status: Married to Amanda; she's a Kindergarden Teacher
Kids: 0 but planning on it in a couple years
Dogs: 0 but planning on getting one this summer for my anniversary
Things that are important to me: My faith in Jesus, my family, my friends, integrity, honor and respect.
Hobbies: I love anything and everything that has to do with Texas A&M University. I have season tickets to the football games. I like to go two-steppin with my darlin' and love being outside. I'm looking to make gun dogging my next hobby.
What's Going On: I graduated from Texas A&M in 2008 and am currently working in Houston, TX. I will most probably be moving to Burleson (Ft. Worth area) this summer for work. My wife and I are enjoying out first year of marraige (married June 26th, 2010).

SpinJen

Post by SpinJen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Name: Jenny
Marital Status: Married to Josh
Kids: (1) 3 year old daughter
Dogs: (1) Spinone Italiano.. had her for a week. She was born Sep 28th 2010 and will likely be exhibited and hunt tested. She's a brown roan and her call-name is Oprah. :lol:
Hobbies: I breed mice for exhibition (seriously!). I'm the president and founder of the East Coast Mouse Association and am in charge of running the club, organizing events and anything else that needs to be done. I also breed pet rats. www.wntmousery.com www.happyrats.com www.eastcoastmice.org In addition, I own ratbreeders.org forum and mouselovers.com forum communities. 8)

I'm here trying to learn and posing some, hopefully, thought-inducing questions for others.

beaglebob1

Post by beaglebob1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:33 pm

I am 50 years old male . I own an excavating company in South Western Ohio. I am located about 40 miles east of Cincinnati.
I have a 35 acre farm and have it set up good for dog training.( Pointers and Beagles )We raise are own birds and also have surrogator in operation during spring and summer.
I own English Pointers,GSPs and Beagles. They all have 10 x 5 covered kennels with concrete floors and a septic system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bostonkeltic

Post by Bostonkeltic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Hihowyadoin, that's how we say it in Boston. My names Chris and I go By Bostonkeltic (BK for short) on a number of other web forums related to fishing , hunting and firearms, 49 years old and have worked in the construction industry for the last 30 years. Born and raised in Boston and live just outside the city. Hunt and fish for recreation. I'll be picking up my first GSP puppy in a couple of weeks, I have hunted over them with friends and love the breed. This will be my first dog since I moved out of the family home 30 years ago. Should be a fun and interesting experience. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone's vast knowledge.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Hello all, I am 27 years old male from Madison WI. I have been hunting since I was 12 years old and have hunted just about everything you can hunt for in Wisconsin. Me and My wife just purchased a new puppy, She is a Lvr/Whte Female Brittany from K Rivers Kennels in IL. I have never owned a bird dog before so this is a whole new experience for me. Can't wait to get her out if the field to find out what she is made of.

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi I'm Jared. I'm 33/male/Idaho. I work road construction in the summer and hunt and spend time with my family in the winter. I didn't grow up hunting but married into it in my first marriage. Her family hunted and now so do I. I've trained several good stock dogs to work cows but never owned a gun dog. I am on a waiting list to get a drahthaar in the spring. I'm looking forward to going thru the vdd testing and hunting over my own dog.

Thanks for all the great advice I've read here so far and Thanks in advance for advice in the future.

Jared
Last edited by 44magnum on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:00 pm

33 yrs old, male, Kansas. Been hunting since i was old enough to walk next to dad, family has raised britts my whole life, and i currently have my 14 yr old britt Buck laying at my feet. Had one choc lab who recently passed away at the age of 12, and have recently put a deposit down on a WPG to be born in a week or two. Hunt a lot of upland in Kansas and Montana, and waterfowl here close to home, glad i found this site.

pauly

Post by pauly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:12 pm

im paul sable my wife is rose we live in show low az. we have a 7 year old fantastic brittany named annie i have been hunting for over 50 years im a retired school teacher from illinois. hunt mostly small game mainly pheasants have had 3 britts and also had sherman short hairs. belong to desert pheasant recreation in coolidge az. always looking for someone to hunt with and hunting areas not to far from arizona.

myshila

Post by myshila » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:18 am

We are a small breeder of LAbradors Retrievers. Our belief is quality not quantity. We do not hunt but our dogs do. I am learning to train and run my own dogs. We enjoy other activities too like Dock Dogs.

Nor-tah

Post by Nor-tah » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey guys, glad to be aboard. I fly fish and hunt in Utah but am moving to the Phoenix area in a few days. Before I leave i'm picking up a Brittany from a great litter. I've hunted upland in the past but never behind by own dog. I look forward to exploring a new state and making the most of a new dog. This seems like a great resource for learning all I can. Thanks for all the great posts and info. Pics to come...

scooters mom

Post by scooters mom » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:43 am

Hello I am a first time owner of a beautiful male Brittany. We couldn't be happier our pup, he is now 15 months old came from excellent hunting stock, and is AKC registered. Unfortunately my husband and I are not hunters. Sometimes i feel very guilty because he loves to run, point and hunt even in our yard. I am an er nurse and have been married 14 years. I really want to breed my dog at least once. He is so beautiful and such a good dog. We are from the Chicago far north suburban area. Does anyone know how I could find a female Brittany to mate with my dog? I want to keep his line going, and would only want pick of the litter.

birdhunter71

Post by birdhunter71 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi my name is Tim Mitchell,

I am 49 years old, I have 3 Llewellin setters, I am been hunting for 25 years, and I have a 21 year old son, who is my hunting partner.

He started hunting with me when he was 8 years old, he could barely keep up the first time he went. We had a very good hunt. I got my limit of birds, and were headed back to the truck, and he said "This is the most fun I have ever had in my life."

I remember the first quail he shot. The first time his pup his dog pointed her first bird, and all of the other special memories we have had together.

This is what bird hunting is to me. The dogs and the memories, and the privilege of being able to hunt for 25 years.

I am looking forward to the forum.

Tim

drake handler

Post by drake handler » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Im from utah Im 13 and i need some help training my black lab who is 6 months old . Thanks
Drake Handler

t-setter

Post by t-setter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm a 45-year-old male from Pennsylvania who has been hunting grouse since about 1991, always behind English setters (sometimes way behind English setters!). Like training my own dogs but still have a lot to learn. Currently own a 7-month old setter pup.
T-setter

Diesel44

Post by Diesel44 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello all,

I am a 38 year old male living in Wisconsin and have hunted most of my life. I have a passion for bird hunting both upland and waterfowl. I have a Chocolate Lab and am getting a GSP in the very near future. I have hunted behind Labs in the field and the blind. I am looking forward to hunting behind a pointer for the first time next fall.

I want to join the local NAVHDA chapter and get my new pup involved there as well as AKC Hunt Tests.

I love talking dogs and hunting. Joined to do the same. Also to possibly look for new hunting pals.

Look forward to reading, listening and posting

nldd

Post by nldd » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 pm

hello from newfoundland can, to all at gdf.i have a dd from willow rock kennels here on the island and hunt grouse,ptarmigan,ducks,geese when ever i can ,i am a commercial fisherman have two children- 24-27 i am a 47 year old ptarmigan hunting nut lol hope to chat with all you guys and gals in the future :D

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:31 pm

My name is Wes Lodes
I am 26 yrs old, male, and live in south central Minnesota. I am recently engaged and have a 2 year old son Ethan. I am currently a carpenter and I train pointing dogs part time. It is a goal of mine to build up enough clients to train full time, but for now I have to keep my "day job". It all started for me right after high school. I got my first GSP and was introduced to hunt tests...I was hooked. Training dogs, building quail pens, and everything else related to bird dogs consumed my life, and still does. I got a couple more dogs and continued hunt testing and along the way started getting some customers to train dogs for. More recently I have found a passion for horse back field trials. I was raised up with horses and with my obsession with bird dogs, field trials have been a perfect match for me. I currently have 6 GSPs that I hunt with and trial. I have one field champion and two master hunters and continue working with the others. I joined GDF because there is never too much information one man can consume and hopefully I can help others with the lessons I have learned along the way. Also it is now january here and there is nowhere to plant quail unless you put em under a snow pile...so I am stuck inside.

Chris Mathan

Chris Mathan ~ Strideaway

Post by Chris Mathan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:11 am

Hi, I'm the co-founder, co-editor of the online field trial publication called Strideaway that my partner, Mazie Davis and I started in 2008. Though it is centered around FBSB pointer/setter trials, many of the topics we cover are pertinent to all field trial dogs and all wild bird pointing dogs. We hope people will check it out!

Josh7106

Post by Josh7106 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm a 28 yr old Male. I am new to the Gun Dog Scene with my first German Shorthaired Pointer, who is now a 9 month old male (Gunner). I live in Michigan and am planning on hunting Grouse and probably preserve pheasants. I enjoy the outdoors and have been deer, and small game hunting most of my life, but I am new to hunting Birds. I am trying to train my GSP myself and will take any advise anyone has to give... From what I have seen from GDF it seems like a great resource site with a number of nice folks.

Jendog

Post by Jendog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi, I'm Jennifer. Just two years into this sport at the age of 40. I own a dog daycare and boarding kennel. My obsession with dogs has graduated to working them and hunting over them. I have a 1 yr old, male Golden Ret. who i train for obedience and AKC Hunt Tests as well as upland game hunting. He's doing well as a beginner on Pheasants and right on track with the hunt test training so far. We watched a few in person last season and participated in one. We're correcting our deficits and getting ready for the first tests in April. I'm still working on my shooting skills and gear, but have been pleased with my Benelli ultralight. My favorite mags are Gun Dog and Retriever Journal and if you haven't seen the show Fieldsports Britain, check it out on Youtube, it has full episodes. It's all about pheasant, grouse, ducks, deer and gear. It's a well put together show. Anyhoo, that's me in nutshell. Oh yeah, and i live in far northern California, just under the Oregon border.
Last edited by Jendog on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.