Newbie here

purser place

Newbie here

Post by purser place » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Just came across this site recently and had to join. Great site.

I've owned two Vizslas and will probably be buying a Brittany pup sometime in the future. Heart still is broken from recently having to put down my second Vizsla. While helping a friend cut up a downed tree, I let my Vizsla run around in a lake front community. Unfortunately she came across some anti freeze which I didn't realize until 10 hours or so later. When I noticed her stumbling about and vomiting, I immediately ook her to an emergency vet clinic late Saturday night. Once they realized she had ingested antifreeze they started her on Antizol. Unfortunately it was too late. They called me early Sunday morning and told me that she had started experiencing seizures and she was not going to make it. I went to the clinic and spent a half hour hugging her. Even though she was then heavily sedated on Valium to stop the seizures, once she caught my scent and heard my voice she started wagging her tail. Eventually she became exhausted and stopped wagging her tail. A few minutes later, crying like a baby, I had her put down. She's now resting on a slight hill overlooking a bird field we had spent the last 9 years hunting in together. I've been back to the farm twice since I buried her and both times I cried like a fool. Heck, I'm watering up now typing this introduction. My hunting friends with dogs tell me I need to get a pup soon. On one hand the thought sounds good, but on the other hand, it doesn't right now.

P.S. I've learned one thing already about this site: stay away from the forum about departed dogs if you've recently lost a dog yourself. It's a killer.

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Newbie here

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Sorry to welcome you on such a down note. It breaks my heart to read about this type of thing but unfortunately all of us have been through similar situations.

Just remember what Jeff Foxworthy said to Ron White. "Nothing heals the heart quicker that a puppy". Enjoy your new Britt puppy and welcome.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Welcome to the site. Hope we can provide some comfort and impar some knowledge that you cn use in the future.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:17 pm

My condolence's on your past dog hard to loose a good one. :(
And Welcome to the GDF!

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Sorry about your dog!! That is tough, but it's never to soon to add a new pup to the family. I would go for it. Welcome to GDF!!
Bill L.

purser place

Post by purser place » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks for the welcome and thoughts. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the folks on here.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. I also had to put a beloved dog down - just about killed the hubby & me. Needless to say, the house was too lonely & shortly thereafter we did bring another puppy into the household. To this day we have NEVER regretted that decision. It lightened up our lives & we were able to laugh again in short order. I SAY GO FOR IT.... & Welcome aboard!
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

purser place

Post by purser place » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:51 am

Killer Instinct wrote:I'm sorry for your loss. I also had to put a beloved dog down - just about killed the hubby & me. Needless to say, the house was too lonely & shortly thereafter we did bring another puppy into the household. To this day we have NEVER regretted that decision. It lightened up our lives & we were able to laugh again in short order. I SAY GO FOR IT.... & Welcome aboard!

Thanks KI. We now have a 9 week old Brit pup terrorizing our cat and older Lab/Beagle pound rescue dog. Wife says attending to a pup is like having another baby! It's going to be fun training another dog. She won't extinguish the great memories of Dixie, but she'll help get rid of some of the pain, I'm sure.