Greetings from NJ

On Point

Greetings from NJ

Post by On Point » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. I just got my first pointer and she is a tri-color english setter at 9 months old. I got her from a breeder in NJ that was trying her out in field trial, but she failed his tests because she did not range far enough and her points were not picture perfect for the judges. This did not bother me because I am a weekend casual bird hunter and I can care less about pointing style as long as she is indeed pointing and finding me a few birds.

I have had her for a month and have been mostly working her on the check cord teaching her the here command and working on bending drills. She is listening well but she is still not 100% responsive so I will not trust her off the check cord until I am. Her drive to hunt is very much there and she is birdy as heck. Occasionally we run into some leftover birds at the hunting property and she has pointed them but once the bird starts moving she breaks and busts the bird. Her training with birds is very minimal.

My goals for the time being are getting her to respond everytime and immediately after I call her and to heel. Whoa will be later on once I know she has bonded with me and the dog views hunting as a "we" thing and not an "I" thing. I am taking it slow and am trying my best, but was thankful for this forum so I can read posts and talk with people who have seen it all, been there, and done that. I look forward to talking with you all in the future.

kerplunk105

Re: Greetings from NJ

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:26 pm

-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Welcome "On Point" to GDF. You will find an answer to just about every dog/hunting related question you can think of here. I have had many myself and there is always a ton of input and some great advice!
Bill L.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Welcome! Great breed and nice story. Who did you get her from? If she is your avatar pict she looks great, post more Picts and questions!