New member from Illinois

Gundog

New member from Illinois

Post by Gundog » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi, my name is Angie, i'm 26 and I just moved with my husband from germany to the chicago area. That's why my english is far from perfect but it's getting better every day We live in the West Suburbs (45 minutes west from downtown chicago). We moved over here 5,5 months ago. My aunt moved over here almost 25 years ago and so did my mom + little brother 6 years ago. That's pretty much why we moved over here and of course because of my husbands work so it's even better that my family lives 25 minutes away.

I have loved animals since I can remember and my mom always told me "you have to go to school so you can be a Vettec" but here is the thing, I can't see blood! And i can't see any stuff from inside the body coming out, it just makes me sick to my stomach.

Back in germany I had a really boring office job and for the last 3 months i worked at an animal shelter. It was great to work with animals all day. It's so cool that over here we are able to live our dreams. Now i'm a petsitter/dogwalker and can spend my whole day with cool dogs of all kind of breeds.

Our 2 last dogs died and it was really hard for us to let them go. When we moved over here, were looking for breeders in the US but decided to go to a rescue group and adopt. My biggest dream came true 3 Months ago. We finally brought home our new family member. His name is Matt and he is a chesapeake bay / golden retriever mix and we love him to death. He is full of energy but pretty smart and learns pretty fast. We are currently working on the retrieving but it looks like we have a lot of work ahead of us :wink:

I really miss my friends from germany and things like just hang out with them, take the dogs for a walk and stuff like that. I would love to find friends in my area and maybe this forum can help me find some doglovers in my area. I met a few people over here in my age but that friendship didn't last for that long because i'm not that every weekend get drunk and take drugs party girl. So hopefully I can find some "normal" people. I love to shop at Cabella's, love spending time outdoors, Pick up trucks and Country music *g*

I would love to add another dog to our family. Maybe this dream will come true next year but I couldn't decide yet if it's gonna be a brittany or a purebreed chesapeake bay retriever.

That's about it :mrgreen:

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Gundog on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: New member from Illinois

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:20 am

Welcome o our forum. You didn't say what town you live in but I know the area where you are. I am just west of you a few miles I am guessing. Hope you enjoy the forum and take part when you have a question or an answer. You can come out to our area, bring your pup and we can run my Brittanys and your dogs in the field.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:02 am

Hi ezzy,

I live in Hanover park. That's 1,5 hours east from your place. Not too far though so I could come over some day for sure.

You have Brittanys? That's awesome! How many? Maybe this could help me deside if our next dog will be a chessie or a brittany. I can bring my camera too :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 am

Sounds like a plan. I have three presently. Haven't done much with them due to the heat this summer so they are probably going to be pretty rank. Am taking them all to a fun trial Monday. Probably wish I hadn't before that day is through. Running them all in the hunting dog class against 15 other dogs. I'll be happy if I can get them all around and back in time to go home. :roll:

Think you will find we aren't much more than an hour away. Travel is pretty fast once you get out of the city.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Welcome to GDF Angie!!!
Bill

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks!

Ruby's Best Friend

Post by Ruby's Best Friend » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Hello Angie,
Welcome to Illinois and Gundog Forum if you are ever up north and want to put your dog on birds there is Bong Rec Area in Burlington Wi. or some really good dog parks in Lake County if you are looking to just let him play and meet new dogs.

Ron

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Welcome to GDF and the US Angie! Hope you enjoy yourself here and choose to stick around!

Ezzy makes a generous offer and if you like watching hunting dogs work and meeting like minded folks; you might consider looking into what AKC Events are near you to just go out and watch and meet some new friends that while no one would accuse them of not enjoying an adult beverage from time to time at the end of the day, are more interested in time with their dogs and friends.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Gundog

Post by Gundog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks guys.

Sounds good. And there is nothing bad about enjoying a beer or an other adult beverage from time to time. But I don't like to get drunk every weekend and the next morning I don't even remember how I got home. The girls I know over here are pretty much like that. They like to go to clubs every weekend, starbucks almost every evening or to the mall and that's not my thing. I mean... I love to go shopping from time to time but don't really like that "let's hang out for hours at the mall" thing while my dog is home alone for hours. Just love to see how happy my dog is when I spend time with him, not even my mom can understand why dogs are such a big part of my life :| Yea maybe I should go to one of the AKC Events. To bad they don't have Dockjumping over here somewhere because that really looked like fun :mrgreen:

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Welcome from southern Illinois.
big steve

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Gundog wrote:Thanks guys.

Sounds good. And there is nothing bad about enjoying a beer or an other adult beverage from time to time. But I don't like to get drunk every weekend and the next morning I don't even remember how I got home. The girls I know over here are pretty much like that. They like to go to clubs every weekend, starbucks almost every evening or to the mall and that's not my thing. I mean... I love to go shopping from time to time but don't really like that "let's hang out for hours at the mall" thing while my dog is home alone for hours. Just love to see how happy my dog is when I spend time with him, not even my mom can understand why dogs are such a big part of my life :| Yea maybe I should go to one of the AKC Events. To bad they don't have Dockjumping over here somewhere because that really looked like fun :mrgreen:
Angie,
Shoot Beth, "Moose" on here, a PM. She's into Dock Diving and could probably point you in the right direction.
Here's her profile link:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3287
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)