My Dog Rock

NorCalGSP

My Dog Rock

Post by NorCalGSP » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Hello all my name is Jesse and through a stroke of luck I recently acuried a 9week old GSP pup.Image My girlfriend is a Vet tech and was at work when a lady brings in a 9week old GSP pup with a severe break in his front leg and says it happened when 2weeks ago and he was trying to chew it off now :?: The woman didnt even want to pay for X rays or any kind of care and stated that the pup was bought for her 1 year old daughter and it wasnt working out she was the asked if she would like to surrender the pup. She did. Now Im at home when I get a call that there is a 9week old AKC reg. GSP with a broken leg that needs a home.Image Image Long story short I scored on a very smart dog that after a surgery and a few weeks crated up is hands down the fastest learning dog I have ever trained. Rock is now 4months old and doing great he has learned sit and stay very well he will stay for extended periods of time untill released even with a bowl full of his fav dog kibble right in front of him. Due to his surgery he hasnt been outside other than a few times besides to do his business but already points at flys moths and cats so im sure he will catch on fastI have access to land with a good number of wild birds and figure I will let them do the training for me as soon as he is 100%. Thats a little about Rock and myself. I hope to learn alot from this forum and make my new hunting pal a pleasure to hunt with.

gsp3333

Re: My Dog Rock

Post by gsp3333 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Good luck with Rock. I'm sure he will be 100% in no time as we also had a broken leg at an early age. Minor setback for these dogs.

huntcrazed

Post by huntcrazed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:59 am

Best of luck!

Rock is a lucky dog ending up in your hands!

It is obvious you have everything he needs to be a great dog.

Congratulations !

Mario

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:13 am

Nice looking pup. Just a heads up.. there is a hunt test this weekend in Rio Vista and a field trial at Hastings island. I'm guessing they are pretty close to your location. If you wanted to pick some pro's brains on ideas how to train your dog or just to watch its not a bad place to start. If you go take a pic of my dog for me:)

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 am

ultracarry wrote:Nice looking pup. Just a heads up.. there is a hunt test this weekend in Rio Vista and a field trial at Hastings island. I'm guessing they are pretty close to your location. If you wanted to pick some pro's brains on ideas how to train your dog or just to watch its not a bad place to start. If you go take a pic of my dog for me:)
Thanx for the heads up I might go check it out. Would be a good way to get him jealous of some top dogs.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:34 pm

the hunt test last weekend and field trial this weekend have been postponed due to the rain. in northern ca there should be 5-6 field events comming up.

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 am

Thanx for the Heads up. I am new to this and would really like to see what goes on at these tests\trials. Where do you get info on upcoming events?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Easiest way to do it is google...."AKC event and awards" and just select field trials or hunt tests and click on ca. Hit results and it should have a list POP up.

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 am

Thanx.