Hi From Tucson

MikeAZ

Hi From Tucson

Post by MikeAZ » Fri May 13, 2011 9:28 am

Hi,

Had some hunting dogs as a kid, mostly beagles for rabbits and one black and tan we got for raccoons. I recently picked up a Vizsla, who was not formally trained, but I had to have her. I'm in the process (almost done) of breaking some of the bad manners she picked up. In less than two weeks she learned and performs all the basic obedience commands, although attention span needs to be worked on. My plan is to train her following one of the DVD programs and see how that goes. If I cannot get the success I want I will probably find a trainer here and send her off to a professional.

I have been reading the forums for awhile now and I like what I see, a lot of information and answers here that have helped me out already. I look forward to participating here.

Mike

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Hi From Tucson

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 13, 2011 10:19 am

Hi there

My suggestion is rather then "See how it goes" and possibly add more problems why not hook up with some people who do know and can help with the hands on training and set up for success.

As if it all folds up on you then you leave the Pro trainer with more work picking up the pieces and to undo from the still trying to learn skills by myself type training ...There are a few people who get together and train the tucson way
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MikeAZ

Re: Hi From Tucson

Post by MikeAZ » Fri May 13, 2011 10:31 am

That's a great idea and one I never even thought of.