n00b from Nebraska

Green

n00b from Nebraska

Post by Green » Tue May 17, 2011 6:41 am

My name is Mike and I live in Nebraska. I don't have a Springer yet, but have been offered a chance to take a pup from a litter born in April. I've always wanted a hunting dog and field companion, but don't want a big dog...the Springer is perfect. I have a wife, two kids (9 & 11), and a Miniature Schnauzer. I very much want one of these pups, but have some questions before I commit so I'm hoping you all can help me out. I will be posting my questions in the other sections. Thanks in advance.

birdshot

Re: n00b from Nebraska

Post by birdshot » Tue May 17, 2011 9:18 am

howdy mike. I also live in nebraska. north platte. Springers will get along with any dog. kids will love him, though he will be very active for a year or so. the east end of the state has a couple of active springer clubs. I have an english cocker now, but have had at least one springer for the last twenty years. one word of caution. springers are a split bred. show and field. show dogs are pretty but not what a hard charging hunter would want.
Steve.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue May 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike. I agree with birdshot, Springers are split into show dogs and field dogs(I had field springers before I switched to britts). So if you are going to hunt look towards a field springer.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 am

Welcome!

Whenever you buy a dog, you're making a 15 year commitment. It's in everyone's best interest to make dang sure you're really getting the dog you want. Show/Field splits are just one item on the check list.

Green

Post by Green » Fri May 27, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks for the reply and welcome guys. This is a field bred ESS. The best part is, I get pick of the litter, with AKC papers, shots, tails, and claws, for $100.

It was sounding like the wife was not going to be cooperative but she's warmed up to it now. The pup is ready to come home any night now.
Last edited by Green on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green

Post by Green » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:22 am

birdshot wrote:howdy mike. I also live in nebraska. north platte. Springers will get along with any dog. kids will love him, though he will be very active for a year or so. the east end of the state has a couple of active springer clubs. I have an english cocker now, but have had at least one springer for the last twenty years. one word of caution. springers are a split bred. show and field. show dogs are pretty but not what a hard charging hunter would want.
Steve.
Thanks for the welcome Steve. Do you know how I could contact one of these clubs? I really could use some guidance...I don't want to screw this dog up.