Pointerguy from Sweden

patjanen

Pointerguy from Sweden

Post by patjanen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 am

Hi!
Just found this forum after scanning the web about hunting with pointing dogs. I have a little abstinence now when hunting season starts in just 5 days :D
I hunt in the northern parts of Sweden with my 2 pointers, the birds we hunt are grouse, black grouse and capercaillie. I hunt both in the deep forests and up the mountains.
I´m 33 years and been hunting since I was 14 years.
Hunting season is 25 aug to 15 march in Sweden. So in the beginning we have warm hunting days and end with cold ones.
I also have a Finnish Spitz, I guess it´s not so common in US but it´s a bird dog to! I´t barks so the bird get distracted and "sleepy" and the hunder can sneak up and shoot it.
Hunting here is very cheap, my hunting ground is on 110.000 square kilometers and 1 season fee is about 200 us dollars. The bag limit per day is 8 grouse and 3 black grouse/capercaillie.

I have only been to US twice but then it was just touristing in N.Y. I looked for hunting stores but I only found a pretty crappy one in CHinatown.
Guess it´s a lot better on the countryside :D

If you have any queastions please ask!

All the best// Petter

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointerguy from Sweden

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:45 am

Welcome aboard Petter , always great to have someone from the other side of the pond here.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Welcome to GDF!

Your English is impressive for a Svenska speaker.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:56 pm

That Finnish Spitz seems like a pretty cool dog. Its a "barker pointer" per wiki. Interesing!

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
It´s interesting read about how you hunt over there, it´s a little bit different from here.
My oldest pointer has a american grandfather called Firefall, he was imported to Sweden in the late 90´s and left real good blood.
Does all american pointing dogs point their tail straight up? They do in all pictures at this forum...

The Finnish Spitz its a fascinating dog, in Sweden we only use it for birds but in Finland it´s a common dog for elk and bear to!

All the best// Petter

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Petter,

Not all the dogs point with their tails at or nearly at 12:00. But, we like it that way. High on both ends is the preferred style.

remington202

Post by remington202 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Petter,
Welcome...and, no, not all American pointing dogs point with their tails straight up : ) I know that Pointers in every other country in the world do not have high tails. Some here in the US prefer a higher tail than found in other places, which the dogs also carry when they are not pointing.
I love the Scandinavian Pointers. My first Pointer was out of a Swedish sire (Tegews line) and was the only Dual Champion/Master Hunter in the Pointer breed. My last litter was out of a Norwegian Elite dog. I have had a mix of some of the Swedish and more recently, some top-working Norwegian lines, for some years and can say that their athleticism, speed, stamina, desire to work with their owners, and wonderful temperaments are great to take into the field. And to live with.

patjanen wrote:Thanks for the welcome!
It´s interesting read about how you hunt over there, it´s a little bit different from here.
My oldest pointer has a american grandfather called Firefall, he was imported to Sweden in the late 90´s and left real good blood.
Does all american pointing dogs point their tail straight up? They do in all pictures at this forum...

The Finnish Spitz its a fascinating dog, in Sweden we only use it for birds but in Finland it´s a common dog for elk and bear to!

All the best// Petter
Regards,
Cathy

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:30 am

Thanks Remington!

Interesting that there is going imports from here to US, for some reason I thought that we only imported blood but never exported. Besides to Norway of course where a lot of pups go to. You don´t know where in Sweden your blood lines come from? Would really be interesting to know!

Tonight will be my last session with the dogs in the woods without shotgun. Then it´s all rest until thursday when hunting season begins!!! :D :D :D

remington202

Post by remington202 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:25 am

Hi, and, yes, we have definitely had Scandinavian Pointers over here. The sire of the first US Dual Champion Pointer was a Norwegian dog - Ruten's Continuation (Oksby Fly x Soma) and he is found in many Pointer pedigrees over here. The Swedish dogs behind my first dog both came from Tegews Kennel. And, the sire of the breed's most recent Dual Champion was a Norwegian import also.

Enjoy your hunting. Hope you see some capercaillie - beautiful birds. Wish we had them over here!
patjanen wrote:Thanks Remington!

Interesting that there is going imports from here to US, for some reason I thought that we only imported blood but never exported. Besides to Norway of course where a lot of pups go to. You don´t know where in Sweden your blood lines come from? Would really be interesting to know!

Tonight will be my last session with the dogs in the woods without shotgun. Then it´s all rest until thursday when hunting season begins!!! :D :D :D
Regards,
Cathy

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:12 am

Petter, welcome.

if you have the time, I know that you are getting close to hunting season, but I would love to see some of the pics of the birds you hunt. Is the grouse a ruff grouse? I think I have seen pics of the black grouse not for sure.

good luck on the upcoming season,
brandon

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:45 pm

remington, thats really very interesting. I have to take a kloser look at the Tegew lines!
I don´t think I will se any capercaillie this time cause I will be up on the mountains and it´s only grouse there! But the week after I will go down the woods for black grouse and the magic capercaillie :D

John: Thanks for the welcome, I´ve googled ruffed grouse and yes we have them, but don´t hunt them so much, because they don´t appear in the same fauna as our other game birds. But from time to time you ran into them, and of course we shoot them, really beautiful and delicious bird!
I almost never take pictures of the birds when I´m out for some reason, but I will bring my camera now on the hunting premiere so hopefully it will be some pictures then :D
Anyway, I found this pic of my male pointer and a capercaillie!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:54 am

That looks to be a *large* bird! Can you tell us about them? Their habits and preferred habitat?

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes they are large, and very beautiful, unfortunally not shown in the picture. Will try to find better photos later..
It exists in the northern parts of sweden, it prefer really old forests, never touched by mans hand.
In beginning of hunting seasons(now) you will find them on the ground eating berries and grass called "starr". The hen lives together with her chickens about another month.
When snow comes and making eating from ground impossible they change diet to softwood from pine, sitting in the top of the trees and eating. At this time it´s no meaning hunting with setting dogs so thats when you use your finnish spitz or just ski arourd looking for birds with your binoculars.
The male weighs about 5-5,5 kg and the hen about 3 kg.
The hen usually have 4-8 chickens.
In the winter you could find the males sitting in groups of 15-20 birds if you are lucky! It´s a beutiful view in the winter landscape!
The hen is allowed to hunt until 15th november and the male to 31th january!
An old male capercaillie is the real challenge for a gun dog here. It´s very hard for the dog to put pressure on the bird, because the bird is an excellent runner, almost running as fast as the dog( well,almost :wink: ), and when it takes to wings it often does it behind a tree or big stone or something making a shot impossible.
So hunting these is good exercise because you have to run beside the dog alot when it follows the bird. It,s extremly rare that you could walk up to the dog and command avance when hunting these old males!

The best capercaillie dogs reports to owner. Don´t know if "report" is the right word but its when the dog finds the bird, walks back to the owner and with his body show his found a bird.. Then walks straight to the place where the bird is and points.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 pm

The best capercaillie dogs reports to owner. Don´t know if "report" is the right word but its when the dog finds the bird, walks back to the owner and with his body show his found a bird.. Then walks straight to the place where the bird is and points.
Ha ha ha thats amazing! If I ever take a trip to Sweden I am gonna call you up and let you take me out to watch! ha ha ha

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I dont know if you belive me or not, maybe you have a different word for "reporting" in US?
But think about it, before the beepers and collars came, how were you supposed to find your dog pointing in thick forest? You dont wanna run around because then you will scare the bird..
You train start training reporting when the dog is quite old, you start training on grouse which setts much better for the dog than capercaillie. When the dog is on point you whistle your "come here-signal" while your hiding yourself so the dog can´t see you but you can see the dog. Probably the dog won´t come, whistle again. Reluctantly the dog leaves his pointplace and comes to you, when the dog finds you, you give it lot of praise and quickly starts walking to the place where the dog was pointing. Hopefully the dogs walk up and take point for the bird which hopefully still is there :D
When this is working you add the commando:Report! when the dog comes in to you.
Most dogs has a very special posture when they are reporting, very low and wit a intense look at the owner.

German pointers often to turn out to be good "reporters"!

Is this what I am descriping totally unknown for you or am I just using the wrong words?

Proudag: It would truly be my pleasure to show you Sweden and hunting here. Unfortunally my oldest dog is not to good on reporting but my best friends Gordon setter is great!

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:19 pm

No I totally believe you... I have just never seen it done here!

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Welcome aboard :D very interesting about the different hunting methods..

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 am

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read on GDF, Thanks for posting.

I would love to see some video of reporting. It is not something I have ever seen done in the US. Never even heard of it until now.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:49 am

troutbum13 wrote:This is one of the most interesting threads I have read on GDF, Thanks for posting.

I would love to see some video of reporting. It is not something I have ever seen done in the US. Never even heard of it until now.
+1

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:35 am

The reporting deal is very interesting. It's not done here in the US, as far as I know. With the exception of ruffled grouse hunting, most all of our bird hunting is done in fields and along the edges of them. Sometimes in open, mature pine forest, but that is equivalent to an open field.

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Very nice to see that you find what I write is interesting. I will do my best to get a "report" on videotape during this autumn. But be patience, first weeks now is almost only grouse. And no need for reporting there, besides, none of my dogs reports. But if everything works good with my young female (14months) next couple of weeks, I will start train her.
But I promise you some pics from the mountains when I get back to civilization on Sunday!

Greg: Does your game birds don´t live in woods at all over there? Or is it just tradition to only hunt in fields?

Have a nice weekend everyone!

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:26 pm

That reporting sounds like the coolest thing I've ever heard. So, theoretically, you could stop your truck, "release the hounds" and sit back and wait for a dog to "report?" Then follow the bugger right up to the spot where he scented a bird?! Now THAT'S training!

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:54 pm

READ THIS!!!!!! This is exactly what this guy is talking about!

http://books.google.com/books?id=gj4CAA ... ng&f=false

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:25 pm

GWPtyler wrote:That reporting sounds like the coolest thing I've ever heard. So, theoretically, you could stop your truck, "release the hounds" and sit back and wait for a dog to "report?" Then follow the bugger right up to the spot where he scented a bird?! Now THAT'S training!

Its sounds very much like how dogs track and "report" with a Bringsel in its mouth indicating he located downed game but this is for birds cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwTdeS5vrpw
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:15 pm

+1 that was a cool video :D

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 pm

patjanen wrote:Greg: Does your game birds don´t live in woods at all over there? Or is it just tradition to only hunt in fields?
The U.S. is large and diverse. We have many, many different species of game birds and it'd be hard to characterize them all.

But, to my knowledge, ruffled grouse and wood cock are the forest species. As I understand it, their preferred habitat is young-growth forest.

There is the turkey, but it is rare to hunt them with dogs.

Greg J.

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:01 am

Petter,

How far north do you go to hunt? Oddly enough I am in Goteborg on business. I now work for a Swedish company and will probably be coming to Goteborg 2 - 3times a year. This is my second trip and from what I have seen it is a beautiful country. I would love to go north to the mountains someday.

Cheers,
John

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:39 am

Greg Jennings wrote:
patjanen wrote:Greg: Does your game birds don´t live in woods at all over there? Or is it just tradition to only hunt in fields?
The U.S. is large and diverse. We have many, many different species of game birds and it'd be hard to characterize them all.

But, to my knowledge, ruffled grouse and wood cock are the forest species. As I understand it, their preferred habitat is young-growth forest.

There is the turkey, but it is rare to hunt them with dogs.

Greg J.
Don't forget blues/dusky and spruce grouse...pine forest has birds too.

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 pm

jcorcoran wrote:Petter,

How far north do you go to hunt? Oddly enough I am in Goteborg on business. I now work for a Swedish company and will probably be coming to Goteborg 2 - 3times a year. This is my second trip and from what I have seen it is a beautiful country. I would love to go north to the mountains someday.

Cheers,
John
Hi John!

Göteborg is a really nice city. haven´t been there too many times though. I hunt in Västerbotten and some trips to Norrbotten. After 4 days hunting it looks to be a good "bird-year" here.
Down in Göteborg you wont find any of the birds I am talking about but they have phesants and partridges.
If you haven´t seen the mountains, you haven´t seen Sweden :D . So jus´t go! Please let me help you if you wan´t any tips!

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Swedish guy basic report training, it´s just a pup.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovyt5rIUcuM

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Had a great trip to Goteborg, but it is a long way from the mountains. I need to find time to explore, perhaps next year. Some of the people I work with go north to hunt moose and elk.

Sounds like a good year to hunt. Good luck and have fun. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

patjanen

Post by patjanen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:18 am

some random pictures from this year..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.