Buying my first gun dog.

c.marsh

Buying my first gun dog.

Post by c.marsh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Hello from WI,I'm planning on buying my first gun dog this spring.I spend a lot of time bow hunting whitetails and do a lot of Ruffed Grouse hunting. And I've enjoyed it so much the last three years I figured I'd invest in a dog.I understand how much work it is and I'm ready for the challenge.So I should be picking your guys brains pretty often.The plan is to do as much studying this winter as I can on training, any one have any suggestions on training books. I'm thinking about getting a female brittany. Thanks

k2k

Re: Buying my first gun dog.

Post by k2k » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Welcome to the board! :D

A good one is the Joan Bailey book, How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves. It's a start from puppyhood book that will get you headed in the right direction. Highly recommended!

The most best thing to do tho, is find a mentor to help you.

Best,

Karen

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:01 pm

We have very similar situations. I used to do alot of big game hunting for deer, moose, bear and also bowhunted. I had been without a dog for 20 yrs and my kids were pushing for one too. Well I always loved a day of grouse hunting so decided if we were going to get a family dog then Daddy might as well get a bird dog out of it. I went with the Brittany because I liked the size and based on what I read about them they were a great match on grouse. The Britt is a very smart dog, great family dog and if you get a good bloodline will make a great hunting dog for you. Give Helen a call at Wild Mtn Brittanies and if she has some pups you won't go wrong with one.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Welcome! I just got my first pup a few weeks ago and could not be more happy with my decision. She's a ton of fun (it really doesn't feel like work). Lots of good folks on the forum with a lot of good advice, not to mention patience :lol: Best of luck to you!
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Greek

Post by Greek » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:25 am

Welcome!! I too just got my pup and so far I am kicking myself that I did not do this 5 years ago. Absolutely having a blast with my little guy! I have found that DVD's are great and sometimes better than books. Try doing a search on EBAY for Gundog. Usually there are a ton out there. Good Luck!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:49 am

Welcome to GDF! Lot's of good info and people on here. Can't go wrong with a britt! You should really check with Mark Dinsmore, on this board ohmymy111, and see if he has any spring litters planned. Great guy and unbelievable dogs!!!