Hello

ericb8655

Hello

Post by ericb8655 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi from Northern California,
I'm looking to get a kind of all around dog in the near future. I hunt quail, pheasant, grouse as well as ducks. I also have two young children. So you may know what I'm up against. I'd like to get a dog that can flush birds in the field as well as retrieve off the water and also good around the kids. I am open to all suggestions, and enjoy getting some feedback.

Thanks, Eric

Greek

Re: Hello

Post by Greek » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:45 pm

welcome!! Whats nice about the Board is there is a diverse group of dog owners so you will get some great info on most all the versatile breeds. Good luck on your search!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Welcome! Lots of good information here. A friend of mine has a German short hair that he uses for upland stuff as well as water fowl hunting. Real nice dog. Puppy years were a little tough but I think you'll have that with most. Best of luck to you.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

deodar

Post by deodar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm all for the wirehaired pointing griffon, good upland, good water dog. I married into a guy with 6 grandkids, 3 were afraid of even my 2 little dogs but my dad's griffon won them over in no time, now we have 2 grifs. Not a dog to be kept outside, they live for their people and even with their wiry double coats they aren't prolific shedders.