New guy from ND

Brittdogs

New guy from ND

Post by Brittdogs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi all, been reading the forum for awhile so figured I would join.
I'm a 27 year old avid hunter from North Dakota with a passion for bird hunting, live 15 miles west of Grand Forks. Have 2 Brittanys (3 year old male and 1 year old female) and a retired lab. Been training dogs for a few years now and raising/selling birds for the last 2 (pheasants, chukars, bobwhites).

rkappes

Re: New guy from ND

Post by rkappes » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:59 am

Welcome to GDF! You have any birds for sell right now?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:25 am

Welcome to the GDF. Four generations of my family have been born in GF. Although I grew up in the Twin Cities I am a UND grad. Our family tree is full of avid ND sportsmen & women. You must not be too far from Emerado. Do you get much business from the Base?
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:54 am

Welcome to the forum, always nice to see a fellow ND person on here. I would also be interested in some birds for my soon to be arriving GSP pup.

Brittdogs

Post by Brittdogs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Mark, you are correct I am pretty close to Emerado (5 miles south and 2 west). Don't see much business from the base. Good to hear we have a UND grad around. But the question is, are you a Sioux or Gophers fan....?

Only have chicks available right now as far as birds go. Later in the summer and fall I'll have mature birds ready to go. If anyone wants to contact me to get their hands on some birds feel free to call me, 701-739-3997. I also have quite a few acres of training grounds available if anyone is in the area and looking for a place to work dogs.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:24 am

My name is in red on one of the hockey boards at Engelstad if that's a clue. One of my brothers is in GF. He might look you up.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:10 am

Welcome to the site! I, too, am a UND alum. Fighting Sioux all the way!
Do you live on the bird farm west of town? I think my uncle goes out there on occasion.
Say, if you ever are in need of a "guide" on short notice, I'll make the trek up! My GWP is always looking for action.
As for birds, I may be in touch. Our local NAVHDA club will be holding tests in August. Unsure if birds have been ordered yet...

Brittdogs

Post by Brittdogs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 am

Hey tyler, you must be thinking of the Dakota Hunt Club west of GF, that's not me. Nice looking wirehair you have. We also have a wirehair in addition to the Brittanys, he's a little over 2 years now and what a handful. Needs a LOT of exercise and attention. Exercising him in the summer can be a challenge since he doesn't handle the heat very well.
Let me know on birds for the NAVHDA tests, oh and let me know the dates, wouldn't mind checking it out.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:34 am

Brittdogs wrote:Hey tyler, you must be thinking of the Dakota Hunt Club west of GF, that's not me. Nice looking wirehair you have. We also have a wirehair in addition to the Brittanys, he's a little over 2 years now and what a handful. Needs a LOT of exercise and attention. Exercising him in the summer can be a challenge since he doesn't handle the heat very well.
Let me know on birds for the NAVHDA tests, oh and let me know the dates, wouldn't mind checking it out.
Our next meeting is the first week of May, so I'll find out about the birds then. As for the dates, I'll check on those, too. Our website hasn't been updated in over a year, so I have no clue at the moment. I know in the past, our spring tests have been held in early June, and our fall tests are in late August.

brittanynewb

Post by brittanynewb » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 am

While browsing the older forums i just so happen to stubble upon this and im glad i did! i also live in grand forks and fellow University of North Dakota "Fighting Sioux" alum here. I am getting a brit pup the end of April and could not be more excited for her.

Are you guys aware of any clubs or groups in the area to bounce ideas off of, or train with??

this will be my first gun dog so any help in greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Cole

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey Cole! Welcome aboard.

I'm not sure of any clubs around the Grand Forks area. However, our NAVHDA club based out of Fargo could help remotely. It's a fair trek from Grand Forks, I know, but we're here!

There used to be Northland Gun Dog Club that met at the Dakota Hunting Club southwest of town. Last I heard of them was 2007, though, so they may have fizzled out.

You might think of looking east, too. I haven't done a lot of looking on northwestern Minnesota, but it's worth a shot for a dog club of two. I know ruffed grouse is king over there. There must be a pointer/versatile dog group in that are somewhere. Perfect fit for a Britt.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:05 pm

I was the person who started the Northland Club in Grand Forks. When I left no one wanted to continue it. There wasn't a lot of interest to hold events other than "Run and gun" type events. Not that they are bad...just not my cup of tea. There is another club being started in the Bismarck area. Here's the link to that clubs facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/NDPDC?ref=profile

If that doesn't work look up North Dakota Pointing dog club on facebook. I believe they are trying to get things started and want to be affiliated with AKC, which would mean AKC Hunt Tests anf AKC Field Trials. I hope it works for them.

There is another club associated with American Field located in... I believe in the Jamestown Valley City area . Bill Holtan is a name I remember associated with the dog club. He's also on Facebook.

NSTRA also has a presence there too. Take a look at the NSTRA site for more info.

I lived in the Grand Forks area for 16 years. 30 minutes east and I was into Woodcock, Ruff Grouse, Sharptails and Prairie chickens (no shooting of the PC but the dog sure pointed them well), 30 minutes west and I had all the Sharptails I could ever hope for. Apparently most of the CRP cover is gone now so i imagine the sharptail numbers are down to.
Tom