Suggestion

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Suggestion

Post by Ayres » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:53 pm

At the forum index, there's three links on the upper right, the most notably that I have been using a lot lately is the "view posts since my last visit."

The problem is, if I reply to one of those posts I am taken into the thread without being able to just back out. I have to go back to the index and then click that link again to get to the 'posts since last visit' page.

Can we get the "view posts since my last visit" link as a part of the static header, alongside the "Home" "Albums" "FAQ" etc?

Also, second suggestion, what are everyone's thoughts on a forum strictly for computer related help and discussion? At first thought it might not really seem related to gun dogs, but it is related to our ability to interact on the 'net, which is why we're all here in the first place. (It would also be a nice, easy place to look and find all those posts about adding pics to a post, avatar, resize pictures, website creation, problems logging in, etc.)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 pm

You could post it in the general section thats what it is there for just general stuff. Most people post their training questions there. I am all for a computer help section.

grant
GDF Junkie

Re: Suggestion

Post by grant » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:42 pm

Ayres wrote:At the forum index, there's three links on the upper right, the most notably that I have been using a lot lately is the "view posts since my last visit."

The problem is, if I reply to one of those posts I am taken into the thread without being able to just back out. I have to go back to the index and then click that link again to get to the 'posts since last visit' page.

Can we get the "view posts since my last visit" link as a part of the static header, alongside the "Home" "Albums" "FAQ" etc?

Also, second suggestion, what are everyone's thoughts on a forum strictly for computer related help and discussion? At first thought it might not really seem related to gun dogs, but it is related to our ability to interact on the 'net, which is why we're all here in the first place. (It would also be a nice, easy place to look and find all those posts about adding pics to a post, avatar, resize pictures, website creation, problems logging in, etc.)
Not a bad idea. Do you think "Welcome and Help" shouldn't go together? I guess they don't have anything in common. Let me check on the link part...

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:28 pm

Welcome & Help has really generally just been "Welcome," and I don't like the idea of posting all of our computer related questions and discussion in the General forum because generally everything in there is directly related to our gun dogs. The computer discussion forum might open things up to, say, discussion of photoshop techniques, website layout preferences, how everybody connects to the 'net, etc. Those are topics that we do have here at GDF, but they are also topics that have just been floating around in various forums for lack of a real home. I can also foresee, with the addition of the GDF websites, the Blinks, the possible podcast, and all the other cool things Grant has been doing behind the scenes lately, that there might just be an influx of primarily computer related discussion going on too.

And, Grant, if the link fix is going to turn into some 30 hour thing don't worry about it - it's not that important that you should have to spend another weekend indoors in July. :wink: I just wondered if it couldn't be added to the header file called, if it is a single file called by php includes at the top of every forum page. (My knowledge of php is limited and will likely remain limited at least until after the next couple weeks, so I hope you know what I am talking about)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:09 pm

A computer help section would be great. The only caveat would be to limit the scope to tech issues with the site. Rule out issues like..."now that microsoft no longer supports 98 or Me, how do I protect against pop ups and virus?