New to Site and New to GSPs

jcalla4

New to Site and New to GSPs

Post by jcalla4 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Hey all,

I acquired a GSP pup around March and she is my first. I live in south Louisiana so I am mostly a marsh duck hunter. She is a great pup, listens well (most of the time) and is extremely smart. Does anyone on this site hunt marsh with a GSP? She kinda fell into my lap and I can tell already she will be a great companion, I was just was wondering if anyone has had any success with this particular breed in the marsh

Greek

Re: New to Site and New to GSPs

Post by Greek » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Congrats and have fun. I'm in Indiana and I know of a few folks that use the GSP successfully for Waterfowl in flooded Timber. The only knock is when it starts to get really cold.

jcalla4

Post by jcalla4 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Fortunately down here it rarely gets below freezing. How are they in the water? Mine has been for a swim a few times, but not for very long

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. Cant helpm you much on the marsh cause i am an uplander, but good luck im sure someone will chime in with info for ya.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 pm

From everything I have read, GSPs are great in the water as long as the temp isnt too low.

Corry

jcalla4

Post by jcalla4 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Well that's good to know. Since i got her, I've been reading a lot about upland hunting. They have a few places north of where i live that have pheasant quail and woodcock. Might give it a go sometime. She's also the first dog that I've attempted to train all by my lonesome so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions