Gun dog virgin

BIGFISH0131

Gun dog virgin

Post by BIGFISH0131 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:21 am

Hey guys, my name is Carl. I live in Fort Worth in the great state of Tx. For a living I am in chemical sales for oil and gas companies. I have had dogs my entire life and always trained them in obedience and always had great success. I lost my dog Koda last summer. He was a Rottweiler and hands down the best dog I have ever had. No special training, just perfect temperament. I still have small house dogs but ready for another guys dog. I'm getting my first GSP tomorrow, and I'm looking to training myself about the breed and training process before I start his training.

BIGFISH0131

Re: Gun dog virgin

Post by BIGFISH0131 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:51 am

I should add that I'm 28

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Congrats on the new pup! I got my first pointing dog (E. setter) last fall and I am hooked for life. The more you get into it the more fun it is. :D There are lots of good books and videos out there and I'm betting you have lots of clubs in that area and those can be great resources. The one big piece of advice that I got on this forum that I would pass on to you is to enjoy your pup and let it have time to play and just be a puppy. I was real excited to get going on the formal training but I really believe my dog (and myself) have benefitted a great deal from following that advice. Good luck and have fun!
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:15 am

Take the rott when it was a puppy and string it out on crack like it was searching for copper wire. Take the puppy stage until they are two years old and imagine it can have the post piercing bark. Lol.

You know they are wired dogs when on more than one occasion people stop and say "how do you keep yours soo calm?". Reply is always age and running.

Good luck with your pup I'm sure you'll live but you will never be the same lol.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Welcome to the forum and great choice on a gun dog, hard to go wrong with a GSP, remember to post a pic when you get it!

Corry

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Welcome! Let's see those pictures! I wish you and your new buddy the best.
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

BIGFISH0131

Post by BIGFISH0131 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 am

Meet Drillbit
He seems really smart so far. He has big bursts of energy esecially first thing in the morning, but all in all he is pretty calm and still sleeps a lot. His expressions crack me up. He is 9 weeks and i have only had him going on day two, but above all i feel like his personality fits well around here and he has taken to me very quickly.

are there any tips i should know right off the bat. I keep hearing let him be a puppy which is fine. he tries to play tug of war a little and can get a little rowdy when we play. I have heard tug of war is not ok...???

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 am

Very good looking pup, one of the few GSPs that I have seen that has such a light colored head with a white body.

Corry

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:37 pm

I will play with them how ever they want to play. Have fun with him.

12Gauge

Post by 12Gauge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Great looking dog!