Are outdoor dog owners welcome?

tngolden

Are outdoor dog owners welcome?

Post by tngolden » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi,
I keep my Golden Retriever outside and because of that have been beat up on another forum. I enjoy dog training a lot. I enjoy dogs as a whole. My wife and I have a small house dog only, well, with two teenagers. lol.
Although I don't hunt, I do support hunting and wished there were more. Kill these durn deer roaming around my road and running into my truck.
My daughter hunts with her boyfriend on my property. They dig it.
Anyways, I thought maybe this might be a more welcoming place than the rest of the forums that downright gang up on you if you keep your dog outside.
If this is not a good place, then I respect that and I'll move on.
Just wanted to talk about dogs and dog training some with some guys.
Thanks,
Mark & Bentley

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Are outdoor dog owners welcome?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm

You found the right place. Though a lot of the people on here keep their dogs inside there are a lot that know an outside kennel that is well maintained is a great place for some dogs if not all.

Welcome aboard.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tngolden

Post by tngolden » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Ok, well, then thankee.
About me: I'm 50. Married 30 years, 2 kids 16 and 19 (in nursing school)
I really enjoy dogs,working with dogs and training them.
Even though I don't hunt, I support that sport and wished more hunting, deer especially, was done. I own 18 acres covered in deer. My daughter and her boyfriend bowhunt it. So far, haven't gotten anything, several doe wandering around. I think they just like sitting in the deer stand early in the am. lol. But, at least there on MY property.
I'm sorta interested in bow hunting, not for the meat, but for the sport of the bow.
I have been an RN for 25 years in critical care/cath lab/ER.
I am thankful to be accepted into this forum although I don't hunt. I reserve the right to hunt though if needed. lol. I tell people I wouldn't have a problem shootin my neighbor and field dressing him if need be, but right now, I can buy my meat at Kroger and grab a burger at 5guys.
I am the new owner of a GR named Bentley. He's pretty awesome. Velcro dog for sure, but that's their nature. I've wanted a GR for years now. One came up from a friend who got sick and I took Bentley in. He's 2.5 years old. Good natured. Loves water and splashing around and just sitting or walking by me..and Frisbees.
I've migrated here because I enjoy the training and culture of dogs. MOST dog forums kick you to the curb if you are inhumane enough to keep your dog outside. I'm hoping I'm welcome here, because I keep mine out in a kennel. I applaud those that can and want a big dog in their home if that's their choice.
But, it's not mine. We have a 3 pound house dog that's fine. But my wife has said a stern NO to an 82 pound GR roaming about the house...and I agree.
Good to meet you and thanks for allowing me in.
Mark

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Welcome to the forum!! My dogs have always been outside dogs and probably always will be and I would be willing to bet that the majority of gun dogs are kept in outside kennels. Everybody's situation is different and there is not a right or wrong as long as the dogs are well cared for.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Peace, it's what's for dinner!