Hoosier grouse nut

ruffedUP

Hoosier grouse nut

Post by ruffedUP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Hello,

I am new to the board, so I wanted to introduce myself. My passion is grouse hunting, as I grew up in Marquette Michigan. I hunted over cockers threw my youth, and still have one-he will be 13 in March, and officially retired. I hunted grouse over a wirehair ca. 14 years back, and decided that shooting grouse over a point was pretty cool, and bought a setter pup out of ghost train lineage. She is now 12 and probably put in her last hunt 3 days ago-hips are just not strong enough for the running. I also have a 3 year old setter that is just starting to figure out how to handle grouse. I currently live in Fishers IN, so I am forced to do a lot of driving North for grouse. The woodcock hunting is OK in IN, and the quail can be good-esp on private land. They are starting to do some cutting on state land, so there may be some hope for grouse in the future. I am president of the central IN chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society, and we are putting on a fun trial and dog training clinic, with all proceeds going to the state drummer fund to help improve habitat in the state. I participated in the fun trials in Michigan, and found them to be a blast, so I am hopeful our chapters will be equally fun. We are going to hold two divisions-gun dog and finished gun dog-only real difference is STWS in the finished. Hope to meet some of you there the first weekend of March 2013!

http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/User ... 0Flyer.pdf
http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/User ... Clinic.pdf

Cheers,

Tom
tjbeauch@gmail.com
317-313-0342

jimbo&rooster

Re: Hoosier grouse nut

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:12 pm

fishers is a bit of a haul from grouse coutry..... Welcome

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

AmericanBrittGuy

Hoosier grouse nut

Post by AmericanBrittGuy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Tom, I am a Michigan guy too. A 'troll' by birth, but a Tech grad, and Father still lives in Beaverton. I make an annual pilgrimage there to visit family (stated purpose) and to grouse/woodcock hunt (real purpose). My best friend from HS lives in st. Helen and has 300 private acres I get to hunt a day or two when I am there in October. Once a springer guy (when there were wild pheasants to hunt in MI), I am now an American Brittany guy. 2 yr old male is AKC junior and has begun Sr. Tests. He was NAVHDA NA prize II at 6 mo. 4 yr old female is a rescue who I've been bringing along slow and she is doing great.

Did I say welcome?

In 2011 I rand the younger dog in the Grouse Nationals FT near Beaverton. Fun day, but not for me. Poor guy got paired with a pointer in the Puppy Stakes (never saw the other dog after the breakaway until the end).

Anyway, here's a picture of my two from last week here in PA.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358303265.033923.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.