carlsutton

Post by carlsutton » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi All

My name is Carl Sutton. I am 68 yrs old and a self employed CPA. We have had an Irish Setter since 1972. Right now we have a total of 5. The old mama girl is 11, the Red Setter is 9, one is 6 and his 2 kids are 5.
The younger 3 are show champions and I will be working on their Master Hunter titles this fall. The older Red Setter is with R J Marquart in Washington who will be competing with him in American Field Shooting Dog stakes and AKC Gun Dog stakes this year. We took him back to the Irish Setter Club of America National Field Trial this year but the gods failed to smile on us this time. The grounds were totally unfamiliar to the dog and it took him a while to sort of get them figured out. He is used to open space and occasional tree lines and that is not what he was running in. However, his kids did pretty good with a win in the Futurity, a 2nd in the Derby, and an Honorable Mention in the Championship. On the bright side, the judges expressed an interest in watching him go on the prairie terrain he is familiar with. This dog has the wheels and style i have been seeking for the last for the last 10-12 years. I was able to acquire him a year and a half ago and it has been a blast. The first trial R J had him in they took a 4th in a 30 some dog Limited Gun Dog stake. That result speaks volumes about the dog and the handler, and those my friends are gooood sounds.

I have trained and handled 4 show type Irish Setters to their AKC Senior Hunter titles and one Master Hunter title. For me, a day dog training with my friends is more fun than adult males are usually allowed to have. I would campaign the Red Setter myself IF I were younger and IF I was a competent horse person. I'm not, and having been around field trials and hunt tests for the last 12-14 years, I know all of the professional trainers from Washington to California.

Having had fully trained dogs, I now only want to hunt over that kind of dog. For me, the fun of training and the pleasure of hunting behind a trained dog is as good as it gets.

I have also chaired field trials and hunt tests for several years. I have been successful at restricting the times I actually judge either, much preferring to participate than judge.

Carl Sutton

admin

Re: New Member

Post by admin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Welcome to the forum!
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

AmericanBrittGuy

Post by AmericanBrittGuy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

My name is Jon Fogle.

I am back into bird dogs after my first, a Springer, 3 kids, etc. I now have 2 American Brittany's. a 4 year old rescue, only with me 7 months...started like I would a puppy, but to my total amazement she is progressing well. Points, honors, obedient...

Other dog is a 2 year old I got as a pup. Parents, grandparents, great grandparents were dual champions, master hunters. Mom is now master plus. He completed his NAVDHA NA at 6 months. Junior hunter at 1 year. So much puppy we have snagged up in senior, but confident he will finish next spring.

My main interest is hunting however and these two are an absolute joy to hunt behind. We hundred at the local preserve and occasionally guide there. I am originally from Michigan and the dogs and I make an annual pilgrimage to visit my dad and grouse hunt for a week. A year ago, younger dog ran in the National Grouse Championship field trial there, puppy stakes. Not for me. We observed later that week when the Brittany Nationals were going on at the grounds.

Look forward to continuing to learn as a handler from this group!

By the way Steve Snell was a big help when I botched my initial registration to the forum. Sing out to him if you have problems!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357792631.344663.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Gld you made it but it was Rob Snell that got it straighten out. Welcome aboard.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Ha! That's awesome. My mom does the same thing.

My baby brother, Steve Snell, couldn't phpBB his way out of a paper bag. :)
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 am

Welcome to the forum!

Corry

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:34 am

welcome here
cc