New here, looking for a good dog

dasfzero

New here, looking for a good dog

Post by dasfzero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 am

Hey everyone. I just got registered on the site and am glad a resource like this exists.

I am looking to buy a bird dog in the next 6 months or so. I just bought a house so I am FINALLY in a position where I can buy a dog!!! Im so excited to have a giant back yard and be able to get a good hunting companion and family dog!

Im not sure what breed I am going to go with yet. I grew up with an english springer and really liked it so I am considering that. I am also a fan of german shorthair pointers, english pointers, labs, and brittanys. I am open to other suggestions as well. One thing I think I may want to take into consideration is that Im not a big fan of breeds that require hair cuts so that may rule out the spaniels. I also do not want a breed that has a rough coat. Any breed you guys think I should consider?

I could use some pointers/advise on breeders/trainers that produce quality bird dogs. I am located in cincinnati. I dont mind traveling to purchase a dog but I would like to find a trainer that is not to far from cincy so that I am to have the dog trained and work with the trainer without having to send the dog away for a long period.

Im new to the whole training aspect of bird dogs and I have some pretty newbie questions...
- how can i make sure I purchase a puppy that will be able to be trained to be a good bird dog
- how long does training typically last
- At what age is the average dog able to be taken pheasant hunting and be able to preform well
- what is a started dog capable of? what is their typical age? what cost should be anticipate to get the dog to a point where it is capable in the field
- any other advise/pointers?

thanks for taking the time to reply

Echo Hill Kennel

Re: New here, looking for a good dog

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 am

Here are some answer to your ?
Purchase a puppy from 2 proven parents that excel in the bird field this will be a step in the right direction. Purchase from a reputable breeder that knows their breed lines and why they selected that breeding

If you are training to be able to just hunt with your new pup and not run in any hunt or field test then you can have that accomplished in as little as 60 -90 days in the hands of a capable trainer. Pups can be out hunting as young as 4 months in the hands of the right trainer. By the time they are 7 months they should be very capable bird dog again with the right training.

A started gun dog has good fundamental basic obedience; has a good basic retrieve on land and water, but is not force broke; has been exposed to guns and hunting situations, and is not gun-shy; and is ready to begin hunting, will point the bird. A started gun dog 6 - 8 months old is a dog that shows promise as a hunting dog but is not fully trained.

Training fees vary but around $150.00 per week should be typical depending on the trainer etc.

Let me know if I can be of further help. I love to talk dogs! We have a special puppy and puppy training package on all our litters email me for more info.

Blake
http://www.echohillkennel.com

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am

you did no say what type of birds you would like to hunt.

so going by hair and 46 yrs hunting with just about every dog ,my favorite is LAB.
VERY EASY TO TRAIN, GOOD IN HOUSE,NOT TO BAD ON HAIR SHEDDING NEVER NEEDS TRIMMED,will hunt almost everything,great in water .
remember you only have 3 months to hunt,what do you do with pup the other 9 months?
lab is fun at home, they retrieve very good, they swim with kids and very good around home.

check locally in your state for lab breeders.
you want a pup from hunting stock breeders not house dog breeder.
then go look at parents or call the owners of pup from a prior litter.
your breeeder will give you their phone no.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

Adding your location to your profile will help us help you in your search. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

dasfzero

Post by dasfzero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I hunt pheasant and quail.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 pm

I raise llewellin setters here in mid Mo. For a walking hunting dog plus compain dog they are my choice . they are natural pointing, retreving, backing & they are a loving family dog I am expecting puppys in mid April be ready to adopt mid June would be able to lit train & hunt this season www.llewellinsetter-mouldersfarm.info

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 am

Welcome aboard. So many choices in dogs. Good luck with whatever breed you choose. Find a reputable breeder with good lines and I'm sure you will be fine. Happy hunting