Need A GROUSE DOG.

pointers53

Need A GROUSE DOG.

Post by pointers53 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:37 pm

IM 13 HAVE BEEN HUNTING GROUSE SINCE I WAS 7 NOW I WANT TO TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL :D :D :D :D :lol: . I LIVE IN WASHINGTON SO ALOT OF RAIN. I LOVE POINTERS BUT I NEED SOMETHING EASY TO HANDLE AND LOVES TO HUNT WITH A LOT OF COVER. WHAT WOULD BE BEST FOR A BEGINNER AND EASIER TO HANDLE. THANKS TO ALL. :mrgreen: :smurfin:

Legband

Re: Need A GROUSE DOG.

Post by Legband » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Well pointer53
Your going to get more than one opinion on this question because it is heavily rooted in what dog a person owns.
Each guy generally owns the type of dog he favors or learns to favor the type of dog he owns.
I have labs and German short hair pointers , the gsp is a easy dog to hunt with , easy to care for and unlike so many breeds are not popular pets so I personally think the breeding is historically more for hunting than some of the other dogs.
What that means for you is it is not hard to get a gsp that will hunt.
At 13 years old how do you plan on buying a quality pup ? Did you have a summer job?
This is my Livy below she is my top gsp , she go's until I can't go any more , as long as you add water this dog will hunt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoys Pro-Staff

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:21 am

What kind of dog do you like to look at thats what i would go with and then find the right breeding, but better yet go watch some hunt tests,nstra trials or field trials and see what you like to watch work. Take your time on picking out a pup, also think about how far you plan to take the pups training yourself or have someone train the pup for you. If you plan on training the pup yourself pick a training program and study it (many times) even before you buy a pup, you will also need to consider the cost of training supply's and a source for pigeons for training the pup.The more you prepare for this the better off you and your pup will be and remember this is an excellent way to learn that the more time,care,patient's and commitment you put into life's challenge's how much better life can be.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:11 am

pointers,

I'd be looking locally to see what resources are there as far as breeders and trainers and training clubs. The NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) will usually have member training days and events where you can meet multiple types of dogs and take a look at them. If you find a good trainer nearby - possibly you could trade some kennel work for some dog training assistance. You'll want to get some hands-on work with different breeds before you go out and buy a dog.

That said, we have 2 Pointers, a GSP, a Vizsla and chessies for duck hunting (well.... and beagles for rabbits too) - we hunt a lot. All of my dogs do well in the grouse woods - and on pheasant and quail. The Vizsla is the best retriever of any of our dogs, the GSP loves the water as much as the Chessies - so each dog is different. The Pointers have better noses than the others - and find more coveys of quail. All are easy to handle and with the exception of the Vizsla - were very early to develop in their training. The V took a little longer, but he's the best companion/hunting dog ever.

pointers53

Post by pointers53 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Thank you all I have a summer job and make 10 dollars an hour and I work 25 hours a month. I would pay for a high quality pup from a local breed and am willing to pay up to $600. I don't really care how much training it will take I am ready.

pointers53

Post by pointers53 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 pm

WHAT DO YALL THINK ABOUT SPRINGER SPANEILS I JUST LOOKED EM UP BUT THEY GOT LOTS OF HAIR BUT ARE THE PERFECT SIZE. HOW ARE THEY FOR GROUSE I CAN AFFORD EM TO :wink: :wink: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fieldwalker

Post by Fieldwalker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 am

Any breed will work. Just see/watch both parents and find a breeding you like.

Legband

Post by Legband » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:48 pm

I tell you what pointer53 ,
if you sold out,on the springer by all means you get one , but I'm going to do something I normally don't do ,
I am breeding my GSP in the spring , the white and liver colored one in the pic , normally there's a pup or two that hang on longer than you want them too , if your interested and if your not that's totally ok , but if your interested and if you can wait and supposing she has a large litter like she has in the past , if you will put that money away for collage ,
I will give a you a pup for free you will have to arrange pick up , now that's a lot of if's , but out kick it around and let me know , she's the best pointer I have ever owned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoys Pro-Staff

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 am

What a great offer from Legband! Good advice to put that money away for college! My hat is off to you for this offer. What a great thing to do for a young man wanting a dog to hunt with. Sounds like he has a plan and has been working and saving for a dog.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 am

The best dog on my string was a gift! (Eternal thanks Traveller) I think special mojo comes with a gift of such intention! Luck young man, awesome board member!!

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:41 am

Just wanted to say that is an extremely generous offer Legband, you obviously are a man of character.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:27 pm

A lot of the questions on this forum result in a firestorm of opinions and bull. I like the direction that this one is headed.
"Endeavor to perservere."

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Legband wrote:I tell you what pointer53 ,
if you sold out,on the springer by all means you get one , but I'm going to do something I normally don't do ,
I am breeding my GSP in the spring , the white and liver colored one in the pic , normally there's a pup or two that hang on longer than you want them too , if your interested and if your not that's totally ok , but if your interested and if you can wait and supposing she has a large litter like she has in the past , if you will put that money away for collage ,
I will give a you a pup for free you will have to arrange pick up , now that's a lot of if's , but out kick it around and let me know , she's the best pointer I have ever owned.
That is awesome. Made my day.

Legband

Post by Legband » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:56 pm

I will stay in touch, :lol:
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoys Pro-Staff

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Legband. WOW. amazing. something like this will never be forgotten by the young man. hopefully there is an extra pup that could make this kids day.... and if not the offer is still amazing. gestures like that make a strong imprint on someones life. i hope one day that i am fortunate enough to do the same. HATS OFF

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:50 pm

A very nice gesture, indeed. And, one that a young man will never forget. Things like this will help guarantee the future of hunting and the dogs we love to hunt with.

pointers53

Post by pointers53 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:18 am

TNKS FOR THE OFFER LEGBAND I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO LOG ON LATLEY. I DONT THINK ILL BE ABLE TO GET DOWN THERE. THAT WAS REALLY GENOUROUS AND NEVER FORGET IT. I HAVE FOUND A GSP POINTER MIX THATS 1 YEAR OLD FOR ADOPTION WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ADDOPTING.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Wish you luck but if you have trouble buying a dog will you be able to afford food and vet care? The purchase price of a dog is probably the cheapest part of the equation.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

pointers53

Post by pointers53 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Also if any off you know a good breed that could be a grouse and duck dog if there isn't a good double dog that's perfectly fine

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 pm

I would say get a lab 100%, if you like the breed personally.
They can be trained to point but are mostly known for flushing, but they're one of the best duck dogs in my opinion.
Im 15 and training my first lab now. Hunting pheasants, Doves, Ducks, and Geese in Iowa.
Like i said i dont know much about hunting grouse, and if you really want a pointer i would get a pointer.
If not you can't go wrong with a Lab
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:30 pm

pointers53 wrote:Also if any off you know a good breed that could be a grouse and duck dog if there isn't a good double dog that's perfectly fine

german shorthair pointer will fit the bill both land and water fur and feather.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN