New Member, sort of.

Wing Chaser

New Member, sort of.

Post by Wing Chaser » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Never introduced myself but I enrolled a few months back. I live in Kansas. Been hunting since I was 12 years old, doves, pheasants, quail, whatever was in season. I had a Wienerimer for 14 years, not much for obedience but a great hunter. My wife says the obedience thing was my fault, I guess that's an opinion. I have a Vizsla now, he's 13 months old at this time. We have done much more training. I discovered a pasture just 5 minutes away, owned by the city. 15 acres of training ground, no shooting but the pup has been in grass since we got him. Since we go there 5 to 6 times a week I have been relaxed with the training but big with repetition and it has paid off. He got his first point on quail in November. More of a semi point but when I stepped forward there were the birds. Got the same semi point on the next trip so now I know his body language when there are birds around. He got a couple of solid points on singles so I know we are getting there. One of the points was on the little pocket where a single had just flushed as we walked toward the area, so I know he was pointing scent. Nice to see it happen. He is young and I keep hoping to put him in to those kind of opportunities. Plan on getting out of state next year if the rain will happen and the grass will grow. Drought has been a bird killer for us. Last years rain was a godsend for Kansas. Hoping Nebraska can get theirs. See you in the forums.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: New Member, sort of.

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:09 am

Welcome. Sounds like fun! love watching the young ones figure it out.