Newbie from AZ

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Sun May 04, 2014 9:03 pm

I am in the works of getting my first Brittany pup sometime at the end of this year. I've been doing some research about the breed and so far have learned a lot. My last dog was a chocolate lab she wasnt trained to be a bird dog but retrieved like a champ. She was mostly a family dog. I decided to go with a Brittany because of their size, energy, and eagerness to please. I want a family dog and a hunting/fishing buddy. I hope to learn some training techniques from the folks here on this site and maybe in the future I will be able to pass it on. Thanks in advance.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Newbie from AZ

Post by kninebirddog » Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 am

Welcome to the board..Are you ready for winter already :lol: I know I am :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Welcome to the board, this is a great place. Perhaps a visit to one of your local Bird Dog clubs, like the Arizona Pointing Dog Club (http://www.azpdc.org) could provide some of the insight and techniques that you requested as well. I know it was probably the best move I made and has developed many relationships as a result....

...Unfortunately K9, winter is not here yet :)

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Welcome to the board..Are you ready for winter already :lol: I know I am :mrgreen:

Thank you and Heck yes I am.

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Mon May 05, 2014 12:40 pm

skyehunter wrote:Welcome to the board, this is a great place. Perhaps a visit to one of your local Bird Dog clubs, like the Arizona Pointing Dog Club (http://www.azpdc.org) could provide some of the insight and techniques that you requested as well. I know it was probably the best move I made and has developed many relationships as a result....

...Unfortunately K9, winter is not here yet :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at it.

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Tue May 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Is there any training books you guys and gals recommend for a good starter book?

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:48 pm

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy that Brittany when you get it :!: Good choice!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Training with mo is a pretty good one. But little fyi all the books out there won't teach you how to read a dog ..go check out some methods now so when you get your pup you will already have somehands on
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Tue May 06, 2014 10:05 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Training with mo is a pretty good one. But little fyi all the books out there won't teach you how to read a dog ..go check out some methods now so when you get your pup you will already have somehands on
Sounds good. I'll get the book and find somewhere or someone to show me.

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Tue May 06, 2014 10:06 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Welcome to the Forum and enjoy that Brittany when you get it :!: Good choice!
Thanks man. I'm excited to get her.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 07, 2014 4:44 am

Where are you located?

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Wed May 07, 2014 5:51 am

welcome to the forum
cc

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 am

kninebirddog wrote:Where are you located?
Chandler

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 07, 2014 11:46 am

If you would like to come down some morning I would be happy to show you some things. We are just south of you

MGIII

Newbie from AZ

Post by MGIII » Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 pm

I will take you up on that offer. Maybe in a few weeks. I'll call you to see when the best time is. Thank you.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Pretty much anytime on calls on the working dogs early morning