New to the forum- Glad to be here but NEED some Help!

sethonthefly

Post by sethonthefly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Seth from Alabama. I'm getting back into bird hunting after several years away and I'm having fun with my new Brittany pup. I have a bit of an issue and need some help. I got my Brittany from a respectable breeder with AKC papers and we love our new pup. However, our vet doesn't thing its pure bred. I've been concerned about the size and shape of its legs and have been waiting for him to get "leggy." The breeder insists that its pure Brittany and sent me pics of the sire and they do look similar. Can you look at the pic and let me know if I should be worried. He's 12 weeks now.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: New to the forum- Glad to be here but NEED some Help!

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Put up a profile picture of the pup standing up. Hard to tell in the pose you have him but I am concerned also.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sethonthefly

Post by sethonthefly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Here's another look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sethonthefly

Post by sethonthefly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Here's another pic as well.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Wow. Reminds me of dwarfism from that view. The head screams Brittany but the legs......
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

RickB

Post by RickB » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:41 pm

I agree with KwikIrish...Even as a pup, my Brit was square-ish, meaning shoulder to hip length was about the same as the height to shoulder.

What do the parents look like? Are they square?

Shoot, even a Welsh Springer (which is longer than high) doesn't look like this.

I know nothing...but based on the very little you have told me, this is a pure breed dog...that is a dwarf...as its parents were dwarfs.

Maybe there is a DNA test? Regardless, IMO...if this sire and dam are throwing pups that look like this, these two should not be paired again.

RickB

sethonthefly

Post by sethonthefly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 pm

I had a look at both parents when I was there. The sire is wide shouldered, stocky but a large Brittany. 50+ lbs I never thought anything was abnormal just that he was a large Brittany. The dam was more square and leggy. The breeders say he should put on length at about four months.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Are the pup's feet normally splayed out like in the picture? That sure looks like a basset hound from the elbows down! Maybe it's just the picture, but it doesn't look good from that angle.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Can we see the parents pedigrees? I don't know if the pup is pure or not but something is not normal.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:39 pm

AKC papers are a birth record. Not a reflection of quality or correct conformation. At eight weeks puppies are pretty close in conformation of what they will be as adults.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:16 pm

BellaSpinone wrote:AKC papers are a birth record. Not a reflection of quality or correct conformation. At eight weeks puppies are pretty close in conformation of what they will be as adults.
I asked to see the papers because I want to know what families are behind this pup. Just might shed some lite in the situation.

Ezzy

sethonthefly

Post by sethonthefly » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for all of the insights and help. I think I'm going to take the advice of an ole timer and long time bird hunter I was with last night. He asked, " Does he hunt birds?" Yes.. at least he's pointing and excited about them. "Does he bite your wife?" No... " Well I wouldn't worry about it." We've decided that at worst he'll just be a good pet- at best I'll be able to follow him around a field one day... slowly I guess.Thanks again for all of the help. Look forward to being a part of this community. ~ Seth

tjacks66

Post by tjacks66 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Wow - that totally does not look right. Here's mine at about 9 weeks.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 am

I would contact a reputable brittany breeder in the area and have them evaluate the dog. That combined with the vet's eval would be a good start on getting a refund if they agree this dog is not going to mature to be a healthy able specimen. If this puppy is as abnormal as he appears in the picture, the "breeder" should be ashamed for selling this dog to a hunting home and should also seriously reevaluate their breeding program, especially of this is not the first puppy that appears like this. From the pics, I still guess dwarfism.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:56 pm

KwikIrish wrote:I would contact a reputable brittany breeder in the area and have them evaluate the dog. That combined with the vet's eval would be a good start on getting a refund if they agree this dog is not going to mature to be a healthy able specimen. If this puppy is as abnormal as he appears in the picture, the "breeder" should be ashamed for selling this dog to a hunting home and should also seriously reevaluate their breeding program, especially of this is not the first puppy that appears like this. From the pics, I still guess dwarfism.
And if it is dwarfism the chances are he will be short lived. You need to find out but I understand that you want to keep him. Hopefully you can but you should get your money back.

Ezzy

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:52 am

I was not directing this towards your post. Just a general comment.

ezzy333 wrote:
BellaSpinone wrote:AKC papers are a birth record. Not a reflection of quality or correct conformation. At eight weeks puppies are pretty close in conformation of what they will be as adults.
I asked to see the papers because I want to know what families are behind this pup. Just might shed some lite in the situation.

Ezzy