Hello from PA, first time GSP owner

GulfTango

Post by GulfTango » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:33 am

Hello all,

Brought home my 9 week old GSP pup. I have been waiting for many years for the right time to get one. He is still getting accustomed to the new environment but is doing well. He wasn't eating well at first, thought maybe he was stressed, but figured out that he didn't like the bowls...(the bright aluminum kind) so I went out and picked up different ones and now he eats like a champ.

He still sleeps a lot, and has little to no interest in his toys. He does fairly well in his crate, cries for maybe a minute before settling.

My intention is to shed hunt with this guy. I just don't do as much bird hunting as I used to.

I look forward to working with him and picking up any tips you all have to offer.
Jeremy
&
Hank

RichK

Re: Hello from PA, first time GSP owner

Post by RichK » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Where in PA are you from?

GulfTango

Post by GulfTango » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:30 pm

Currently live inBucks County, but grew up in Tioga County. That's where I do all of my hunting.
Jeremy
&
Hank

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:11 am

I had the same issue with aluminum bowls and two terriers I picked up. When I picked up my PP I just decided to start with a plastic one.

Not sure what part of state you are from but wondering if you are seeing any grouse. 2 weeks to opening season and I have seen very few. Maybe I need to spend more time with bow. I saw them almost everyday bow hunting last year

GulfTango

Post by GulfTango » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:03 am

I'll be in Tioga county in "2G" In a couple weeks...I've always had good luck finding grouse at higher elevations in and around Mountain Laurel and Beech Brush.

I'll take the bow out I the morning and shotgun out in the afternoon.
Jeremy
&
Hank

Max2

Re: Hello from PA, first time GSP owner

Post by Max2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:11 am

GulfTango wrote:I'll be in Tioga county in "2G" In a couple weeks...I've always had good luck finding grouse at higher elevations in and around Mountain Laurel and Beech Brush.

I'll take the bow out I the morning and shotgun out in the afternoon.
Lot's of luck with your new pup ! Your on your first & I'm on my last and he's also a GSP. I used to start with the bow and then go get my first also a GSP for birds later in the day. Eventually the deer season get's in the way and all you want to do is hunt with your dog. Enjoy this pup and your life with dogs as it's awesome !