New from PA

StrAp44

New from PA

Post by StrAp44 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:51 am

Hello everyone, new to the boards and enjoying absorbing all the info floating around.

Right now my hunting companion is a 4 year old mutt I brought home from the pound when I was in college. According to the vet she is beagle, husky, spaniel, lab, shepard.

Unfortunately I never had the time to train her (other than basic training) due to college and work. I now find myself having the time to bird hunt and take her with. She got one bird the 1st day I took her out this year, and flushed 3 today. Sometimes she dives right in and flushes, sometimes she goes on point. Its kind of confusing and frustrating. Basically shes a house pet and goes for walks while I hunt. To late to train an old dog new tricks?

Thanks everyone.
~ StrAp44
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CTPaul

Re: New from PA

Post by CTPaul » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Nothing is impossible but some things are more difficult than others. If you are willing to put the time in you may be able to take your dog hunting at a level you are satisfied with but you may not. You would likely have better luck with a pup that had the right genetics.

If it was me I'd keep my house pet and he would be exactly that. I would then go get the dog that was bred to do what you want it to do in the field. I think everyone would be happier.

If all you're looking to do is shoot a few birds with your 4 legged buddy then go ahead and go hunting and enjoy your time out there. Who cares if he flushes some and points some. If you can safely and responsibly hunt with your dog now then go ahead and do so.

Fwiw, I got my first bird dog at the end of college, lived in a condo, worked a million hours and still enjoyed everyday I had with that dog.