Vizsla

Remington4

Vizsla

Post by Remington4 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Hello,
I just recently got put on reserve for a vizsla pup. Does anyone here have experience with these dogs? Any training tips or routines you'd recommend/share? I know they are excellent upland bird dogs, but we'll be primarily duck hunting. I am also looking into doing the raw diet, so any input there is appreciated as well. Thanks!
If something is worth doing, it ought to be done in a way that is enjoyable - Otherwise, it can't really be worth doing

ddoyle

Re: Vizsla

Post by ddoyle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Have 2!!! My advice is go slow and love them up.....they are called Velcro Vizslas for a reason. Most of all have fun and don't rush you will have a hunting partner for years don't blow it by rushing in the early training! Enjoy!
Doyle

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Make sure a Vizsla is what you want for duck hunting. I think you are getting out of their comfort zone and there are several breeds that would be better suited. I love the Vizsla but duck hunting may not fit them well.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:48 am

ezzy333 wrote:Make sure a Vizsla is what you want for duck hunting. I think you are getting out of their comfort zone and there are several breeds that would be better suited. I love the Vizsla but duck hunting may not fit them well.
+1

I have a 3 year old that is an amazing bird dog. When I take her to the river she can swim for 6 hours straight with the kids. But like ezzy said there are other breeds that are better suited for waterfowl.

If you plan on spending 6 days in a duck blind in the winter up in Wisconsin the dog s not designed for this type of hunting. They are solid muscle with no layer of fat for insulation. they have a single coat and can get cold if they are not moving.

I don't think you can go wrong with the breed. In the right conditions you can duck hunt with them all day.

The breed is super intelligent, second fastest on earth, highly trainable and will hunt harder and longer than any other breed I have shot over. They take longer to mature so as ddoyle said go slow. They seem to mature slower than most breeds. Great family dogs as well.

The Velcro thing gets worse with age.

Gooseman07

Vizsla

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:14 pm

I have also seen Vizslas that were bred for show and didn't have the desire to hunt like other breeds of their stature. If they are bred right, they are good dogs from my experience but if not bred for hunting, good luck to ya. My opinion.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:03 am

Gooseman07 wrote:I have also seen Vizslas that were bred for show and didn't have the desire to hunt like other breeds of their stature. If they are bred right, they are good dogs from my experience but if not bred for hunting, good luck to ya. My opinion.
As can happen in just about any sporting breed.
Just make sure your puppy is coming from a reputable breeder who is known for producing successful performance dogs. Just do your research and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would also think over your waterfoul conditions.
Vizslas can be slightly slower to mature, so go slow in the training. They are wonderful family dogs, and earned the name "Velcro dogs" for a reason. They want to be with their people. Set rules/boundaries and enforce them. Positive reinforcement is the best training method for house manners. They want to learn and please. Good luck!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)