New here from Long island!!

Eycee1

New here from Long island!!

Post by Eycee1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:43 am

Hey all,

My name is Frank, i'm from Long Island, NY. I'm happy to have found this place!! I'm 29 and have been hunting on and off since about 21 - 22 and the last few years have gotten back into it full fledged since i'm more settled (Job, house, etc.) and have really gotten into waterfowl and upland hunting (Goose, duck, pheasant, rabbits). I hunt alot in the Saratoga area and have recently just gotten my first black lab puppy "Scout", I have had her for about 2 weeks and she is 9 and a half weeks old and been working with her just the basics and just started leash training with her. She is my first dog since my family dog the family had when I was little so I also learning as we go. I am eager to be here and to learn from everyone and share my progress with Scout.

I have been researching which programs I would like to follow so I have some structure in what I am doing. I'm not looking to make her a champion, but also not looking to do this halfway so i'm dedicated and jumping in with both feet!! lol. I just want her to be a happy family/hunting dog who is obedient and enjoys hunting and following commands. I am taking the praise only approach, I do not like the idea of using treats to train a dog and she has been responding rather well so far. I will also be looking to join the Suffolk County Retriever Trials Club.

I have been leaning towards Tom Dokkens series with his Hard Cover and DVD series as a starting point and may also read and watch Bill Hillman and get the 10 min retriever from the Dahls. If anyone has used and had success with these programs from these authors/trainers I would love to hear your feedback. Or if anyone reccomends anything else they liked i'm all ears.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to hearing everyones feedback and sharing our experience with our dogs. Thanks for having me.

-Frank