New Old Guy

Ron Kruger

New Old Guy

Post by Ron Kruger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:57 am

Greetings. I'm 66, and I live in Ironton, MO. I've been an upland hunter since 9 years old, and I'm now on my third golden retriever. Last one, Jake, was a most wonderful do, but turned out to be gun shy, so I haven't hunted much for the past decade or so. But Jake developed cancer and died a few months ago. Then a couple of weeks ago, I lucked into a 5-year-old, fully-trained, highly-pedigreed golden named Doc. Because of this, I plan to get fully back into upland hunting this fall. That's why I'm here: to socialize and learn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ike

Re: New Old Guy

Post by Ike » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:17 am

Welcome to the forum Ron. I too had been away from upland hunting for some time and just got back into it this season. Having lots of fun. Best wishes!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 pm

From one Old Guy to another, Welcome!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Another old guy here....good luck wfith your beautiful new dog. I was also away for a few years as my britt went lame in her later years and then I lost her last fall. I have a 12 week old Llewellin at my feet as I type so I too am really stoked for the season this fall!

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Heck Ron, you're not old! My Mum would love to be as young as you! Besides, that would mean I was old too.
I guess it's all relative. Hope you're young enough to enjoy getting out with your dog and experiencing what the glorious outdoors have to offer.
Welcome!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Age tells us how long we have been here but old is nothing more than a frame of mind. I'll bet I have been here longer than any of you but I sure don't think that I am old yet.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ron Kruger

Post by Ron Kruger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm in very good shape for 66--much better than I ever expected. But I'm also a pragmatist and know that I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was. Like my golden before him, Doc will keep me young.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 pm

I am almost 72 now but the sound of a bird flushing in to flite is still a great sound how ever we have very few wild quail here in Mo. at least in centeral Mo. & my legs do not let me take the long walks any more . But I have 30 acers set aside for dog training & I cheet by driving around in the Polaris ranger set the birds turn the dogs loose & go with the grand kids . It is still fun to watch the dogs work & grand kids & ever once in a while show them I can still shoot & my 2 old Llewellins Setters enjoy it all so ,

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 am

It is amazing how a simple greeting takes on a life of its own. Hey old new guy, what do you make of this?

Mt. Hunter

Post by Mt. Hunter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:01 pm

I am 73, still can hunt pheasants all day long. Nothing better than watching the dogs work and hearing the rooster crow when they get up. Best season in several years last fall. Keep hunting it is good for the body and soul.