New From Michigan GSP Pup

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:40 am

Hello All,

New guy here from Michigan. I recently picked up a German Shorthaired Pointer, which is my first hunting dog so im pretty sure you all will see me on here a bunch for alot of questions haha. He is currently 8 weeks old and so far he is the smartest dog I have ever seen. Im excited to get him started on bird training here pretty soon, already introduced the bird wing a couple times and he loves playing with it but quickly gets cold since we are outdoors, one issue that I have is he is all into the bird wing but sometimes likes to sit and point rather than have the correct posture. Can anyone help me with what to do here? I attached a photo but not sure how it all works lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

setterpoint

Re: New From Michigan GSP Pup

Post by setterpoint » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 am

I have used the wing a lot on my pups just don't do it to much. if you do it a few more times I see no harm. if the dog sit easy lift his back end up and gently push the dog toward the wing

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:56 pm

At this pups age I would do nothing. It is just a baby and sometime in about a year you can start working on birds and style. Till then it is just a pup and needs to learn house manners, be socialized every chance you get and take it for a walk every few days in a field or where ever you can get access to.

Right now your pup is not pointing a wing or a bird. It is looking at something it has never seen before and is curious as to why it is tied to a string and moves. If you don't believe that use a plastic shopping bag on the string and see what the pup does. I'm just trying to tell you that the pup will tell you when it realizes it is a bird dog and at that time you will be aware of it too. But till then you have a family pet that needs to meet people, dogs, kids, cars, trucks, crates, collars, leashes and a thousand other things it has never seen in this big wide wonderful world.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:23 pm

The wing isn't really a training tool, I would ditch it. Build a small enclosure for homing pigeons and buy some off of craigslist or at a local swap. Ezzy is right on track with socialization being the key right now - get that pup into every positive situation you can (Home Depot, county fairs, trips to town, walks with lots of different noises, cows, etc.).

Also, FWIW, I recommend the Perfect Start DVD system (and the Perfect Finish if you're training to that level). The DVD's are very visual, easy to understand, and have a proven method for introducing birds, gunfire, etc. You can get them at the Pheasants Forever marketplace. Jon, the trainer at Perfection Kennel is a huge GSP guy.

Double bonus on these DVD's - they totally keep their resale value when you want to get rid of them. They are on here all the time for folks wanting to buy a used set.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:46 am

Where at in Michigan? There's a few NAVHDA chapters up there. I'm bear Toledo so I try to attend the SeMi chapter near Flint/Detroit. There's also a good group over near Ludington. I've never been to the North chapter. I would recommend getting to a chapter and get them to help. Good luck!

marsh

Post by marsh » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:53 am

I am a member of the SEMI NAVHDA chapter. If you want to check it out they have training days this weekend on Saturday I believe. I have to check the schedule to make sure that they did not move this to Sunday this weekend. Lots of great people there and lots of good dogs. They train at the Barn course in the Highland Rec area.

My pup, Pudelpointer, just turned one recently. So I am out there most everyday running him and working with him. Shoot me a PM if you want more information.

marsh

Post by marsh » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Training is Sunday this weekend...

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:39 am

Sorry for the late response ive been pretty busy, but i have been taking him out everywhere I go (nature walks, woods, fields, waterways, rivers, towns, almost every place i can go he goes with me). I am from Chelsea about 15minutes west of Ann Arbor Mi. I would love to take him to a couple chapters for training and I plan on it, at what age should I start bringing him? Ive been told wait until 10ish weeks and then start the training, but meeting you guys cannot hurt I suppose. But as far as the house training he is great, has yet to poop in the house and only peed a handful of times overnight in his kennel, so far he has been a great dog im ready for the training stage though.

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:36 am

I am in the Ann Arbor area guys, I sent a message out to a couple guys on here already and hopefully join a training group around me. Would love to get this dog on the birds soon. When would you guys recommend me to start bringing my pup to these training days? Now? 10, 12 weeks?

marsh

Post by marsh » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:29 am

Just keep it fun and try to make sure that the exposure to the birds wont be negative. I think I mentioned this to you- but I had my pup at the NAVHDA training days right after his last shots. I had quail that were wing tied or restrained and let him sniff, explore, bite... I did not expect anything just wanted to make it fun and build the love for the birds... It seems to have worked for me.

Keep us posted on how he Is doing. Awesome on the housebreaking too!!!

marsh

Post by marsh » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:03 am

I think there is a place in Chelsea, Colonial Farms, that offer some training programs for hunting dogs. Can"t remember if it is hourly one on one training or programs that they work with owners in a group setting weekly. I have never participated in these- but have heard good things about them from others. Might be worth checking out since it is right in your backyard. They breed GSPs too from memory. I think the family name is Murdock that owns it.

Vispar

Post by Vispar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:51 pm

marsh wrote:I think there is a place in Chelsea, Colonial Farms, that offer some training programs for hunting dogs. Can"t remember if it is hourly one on one training or programs that they work with owners in a group setting weekly. I have never participated in these- but have heard good things about them from others. Might be worth checking out since it is right in your backyard. They breed GSPs too from memory. I think the family name is Murdock that owns it.
I started taking my eight month old GSP pup to Colonial Farms two months ago. Very happy with Bill's approach. He and his wife, Vicky, do are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions on their program.

Where did you get your pup, Evanman2010?

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:30 am

Vispar wrote:
marsh wrote:I think there is a place in Chelsea, Colonial Farms, that offer some training programs for hunting dogs. Can"t remember if it is hourly one on one training or programs that they work with owners in a group setting weekly. I have never participated in these- but have heard good things about them from others. Might be worth checking out since it is right in your backyard. They breed GSPs too from memory. I think the family name is Murdock that owns it.
I started taking my eight month old GSP pup to Colonial Farms two months ago. Very happy with Bill's approach. He and his wife, Vicky, do are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions on their program.

Where did you get your pup, Evanman2010?
I have just scheduled an appointment with him for June. The pup will be around 4 months old and I plan on training at least twice a month there until he is gun broke and pointing birds perfect. I got my pup from GrandRiverGunDogs in Howell Mi from a guy named Steve S. He is a great pup and very smart, only issue I am having with him right now is aggression while he is eating, growling at strangers away when we are not at the house and growling when eating a bone or treat when I get close to him. Looking for some help on this, cannot seem to break this bad habit of his.