advice, please

emersonreturn

advice, please

Post by emersonreturn » Thu May 28, 2015 9:56 am

hello, my first day, first post. my husband & i have just inherited a 9yr old (that's the guess, we won't know until she arrives with her paperwork) female Llewellyn. tri-coloured and beautiful, unfortunately, the dog has never been off leash, has only had the run of her fenced backyard on a small quiet island, that's the extent of the world as she knows it. she has never been allowed to be free. she has never been taught to come reliably, she's terrified of everything: other dogs, loud noises, strange smells. she is not reliably house trained. my hope is that eventually we can teach her to come, allow her off leash, in other words to have a life and enjoy. we live near a park and the beach---but in a city, in a condo on a very busy street. i am used to standard poodles, i'm hoping there will be some similarities as both are essentially hunting dogs, and very smart. friends, supposed dog experts, have told me without question i will not be able to teach her new tricks. we feel we pretty much have no choice. she has to learn to come on command, she has to learn to pee outside (i can roll up the carpets etc., but she still has to learn about acceptable and non acceptable). my dream is that some day she may enjoy the beach, and possibly other dogs, play chuck it, just run her heart out. she loves food and naturally we'll begin with food to teach her to respond. i'm counting on her innate intelligence to help us, but of course, it's a doubled edged sword.

we will appreciate any suggestions, advice you may have to offer. this is something we never expected, clearly the breed was a bad choice for the deceased relative, they ought to bought a more docile, less energetic breed. nonetheless the dog needs to learn to live in this new world, the traffic is very real. thank you so much. :-)

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: advice, please

Post by PntrRookie » Thu May 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Take it slow, treat her like a puppy and by all means make sure she comes to her name...recall is KEY. You will be blessed to have her.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu May 28, 2015 6:23 pm

Bless your heart for taking this on. It isn't everyone who would be willing to do so and I admire you for looking after her. I think PntrRookie nailed it when he said recall is the most important thing to work on. I don't use clickers for everything but I find it's really useful for teaching the dog to look at you when you say their name and to come when called. George Hickox has a couple of puppy development videos you might find very useful. If you have a park nearby that will be handy. You'll want a good leash, collar and a check cord. I'd start out with a 15' cord in the house. Say the word "here" (or whatever command you plan to use for recall), give the dog a series of gentle tugs (not constant pressure) and repeat "here" until the dog comes to you. The instant she gets to you click the clicker and give her a treat. Make a big fuss too, lots of praise. Pretty soon she'll be coming reliably in a confined environment. You can build up from there by going to a fenced outdoor area and slowly increasing space and distractions. Be consistent and be patient. Setters are smart dogs and she will learn but most don't handle a lot of pressure well so positive reinforcement is the best way to go, especially if she's already uncomfortable with the world around her. I adopted an adult heeler with a ton of behavioral issues and it's been a long road but he's a great dog now so there is definitely hope. Best of luck to you and keep posting questions. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here (some more than others :mrgreen: ) that will do the best they can to help you out.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

emersonreturn

Post by emersonreturn » Fri May 29, 2015 10:28 am

thank you for your great insights. as well as hope. yes, we shall treat her like a puppy, spot on. and while i've never trained with a clicker, we'll definitely buy one. we'd already picked up a body halter that hooks in the front to discourage pulling, and new 6 foot lead, but will up that to a 15 foot as well, thank you. thank you for the great suggestion of beginning in the house (it's small but we can adjust, the important thing is to connect with her, and help her to recognize the sound, responding to it, treats and praise. it makes sense that praise will infiltrate where displeasure will not. i can see i shall be learning as much about responding as Stella will be: patience on my part and for her like a child building blocks putting all the cues and clues together to success. you are absolutely correct, she is smart, and i must thank you for giving me hope. if she can, we can…and right now i feel like our learning curves are pretty much par. it's sort of like rehabilitating both of us. i believe i forgot to mention we are seniors, much the same as Stella. so we'll get to see how much love and time can change. above all thank you for your guidance, and encouragement. your wisdom and sage advice is very much appreciated---and desired. thank you. bless you. we shall, like Stella, begin moving from theory to practise. all of us learning the art of forgiveness. :-)

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm

I found this thread on another forum. I did not read all of it but the bits that I sampled seemed to have some good information on the clicker training. As I said before, I don't use it for everything but it's my opinion that it is a very effective way for a beginning trainer to get started. Good luck.

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin/ik ... =2;t=74118
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

emersonreturn

Post by emersonreturn » Sun May 31, 2015 10:52 am

thank you so much. it's a great find, and one i would've taken months to find. much appreciated. you, and gun dog forum, have been a gold mine. already you are making us feel that this is not simply do-able but has a great fun potential. thank you for lifting our doubts and showing us some very real light. :-)

dobrostarr

advice, please

Post by dobrostarr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:22 pm

I'd start in a hall inside your house using a treat and her name. Then try hiding around the corner doing the same thing. I would also teach heal immediately. Once she is walking proficiently next to you and will accept a little tug when need be you can use a long check cord. Call her name and give little tug and immediately release(pulling will only make her pull back). Once she comes with out the tug you should be able to allow some off the leash time.

I should have started with this, but if you treat her well and put in the time and love, she will want to come to you. This is the most important aspect.

Good luck!

emersonreturn

Post by emersonreturn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:31 pm

wow! thank you so much--we shall definitely use those suggestions. sorry i didn't respond right away, we've had some family difficulties and i've been away. we are preparing our condo/townhouse for the arrival. i shall definitely begin in the hall, and the release immediately makes such sense. i feel like i'm the one engaged in clicker training, as the ideas on this forum all make my mind go Click. heartfelt thanks, your suggestions have really helped us realize this is doable and not beyond our skill set. very helpful and encouraging. :-)