Looking for a mentor!

dobrostarr

Looking for a mentor!

Post by dobrostarr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Hello all! I am the owner of a female Brittany and soon to be the owner of a male as well. I enjoy hunting bobwhites in SW Ga. I would like to get involved in some hunt tests, field trails or even bird dog circuit with the male I'm getting. I need a mentor though! Any takers!? I love hunting and working with dogs but I'm clueless as to where to start with any of the aforementioned. I haven't been able to find anything going on within a couple hrs of where I live. I don't know if any Brittany clubs...the akc site was not able to find anyone close by either...Seems like only lab guys and old money plantation folks around here that just exist to make money off of adventure seeking business men that will pay to drink sweet tea.
I just want to train to push myself and my dog to excel.
If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a pic of my little female Annie along with what I think is going to be my new male, "Haus"
Looking forward to interacting with you all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dobrostarr on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MillerClemsonHD

Re: Looking for a mentor!

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:18 pm

These are the folks I would contact first to try to find someone near where you are.

http://www.georgiabrittanyclub.org/

dobrostarr

Looking for a mentor!

Post by dobrostarr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:06 am

Thank you. Jacksonville fl is the closest I've heard about and that is like 3.5 hrs from where I live. I might have to start one!

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:26 am

Where are you in GA?

dobrostarr

Looking for a mentor!

Post by dobrostarr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:38 am

Cairo. 20 miles north of Tallahassee. Between Thomasville and Bainbridge ga.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Www.ufta-online.com look under events for last year for events in GA and contact those folks with interest. They will know who would be good to meet and train with locally. Frank Arnau is president and in GA, his contact info is also on the site.
Colin

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Carter Brittanys are located in south Georgia. They campaign dogs all over. They may give you a lead. ALSO , Look up National NSTRA. There is a chapter in FL and SC. Sam Ashmore runs some great Britts and his phone # is listed as event chairman. NSTRA members run all types of dogs and I have found they are all good people that love to train pointers. Members are pros to amatures like me.

dobrostarr

Looking for a mentor!

Post by dobrostarr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:14 am

Vic Williams wrote me back and gave me some leads. I will contact these other folks as well. Thanks all!