Gun shy just after 10 days from last training

TaterHead

Gun shy just after 10 days from last training

Post by TaterHead » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:31 pm

I have a 1 year old lab he started training at 4 months old. He has done a great job so far he was ready to hunt. I last trained him with gun fire on nov 10 he did great was all ready for opening day. Took him to groomers the next day. Day before opening day I took him out side had him heel next to me like always fired my gun to make sure it cycled good and was ready for opening day and my dog jumped behind me!! He has never done this before!! He looked scared. I thought maybe it's cause we have never shot in the back yard and that was his safety place. So opening day we get our farm set decoys out get in to our blind and I pull my gun out and he starts shaking and looks nervous. If I put the gun down he is fine. No birds come in all morning so I figure we could train a little and see what would happen I hit my call my buddy tossed a bumper and I fired my gun and he ran behind me about 8 ft!! I put my gun down stepped out of the blind and told him to heel he did. Sent him to fetch the bump and he did not problems but if I pick my gun up he will not heel and stays behind me. What could have happend??

Thanks nick

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Gun shy just after 10 days from last training

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:32 pm

What steps did you take to introduce gunfire?
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:26 pm

So you had him at heel and shot over him... why? Heck, I understand why he was afraid, someone just fired a loud gun over his head and it scared him. I don't let my dogs get shot over at any time unless we are hunting. You said you had him heel next to you like always, so I am curious how you introduced him to the gun.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 pm

I don't want to alarm you, but you need to be careful.

Close gunfire hurts, there should always be something to distract them. Properly introduce him to gunfire. You toss a bumper and have a helper fire a .22 blank some distance away. Ignore any reaction, have the helper work closer. Never fire a gun promiscuously, always have something good to get his attention.

I think he will be fine, but go slow until sure. Don't take him out with a bunch of buddies firing away. It hurts, it is why they all go deaf by 10 or so.

Enjoy, and don't worry.

TaterHead

Post by TaterHead » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 am

i may have explained it wrong I did not fire my gun while standing over him!! He was heeled beside me back behind the gun just like in training. He was introduced to gun fire in a large field while retrieving a bumper the shooter started about 50 yards away with caps then he worked closer and closer then we started with .22 100 yards away Working closer then 20 gauge 100 yards away then got closer. This took weeks it was not done over night. He hunted early goose and no problems. Could they have damaged his ears at the groomers? Could this be an ear infection? Has anybody else had this happen?

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:16 pm

If someone slipped up behind you and fired a shotgun would it scare you?

Never ever ever shoot a gun around a hunting dog if its not focused on birds, even a broke dog can be damaged.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:34 pm

I didn't see where anyone slipped up behind the pup. He just said he had the dog at heel behind the gun unless I am reading it wrong.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I didn't see where anyone slipped up behind the pup. He just said he had the dog at heel behind the gun unless I am reading it wrong.
I think the point was that he caught the dog off guard, resulting in a scared pup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I didn't see where anyone slipped up behind the pup. He just said he had the dog at heel behind the gun unless I am reading it wrong.
I think the point was that he caught the dog off guard, resulting in a scared pup.
I tend to agree with you. It is not the way I would ever treat a pup even though he had been shot over. I was just trying to clear it up a little since we are working with a fairly new gundog owner.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:59 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:

Yes that was my point, visually a young dog doesn't know a shotgun from a broomstick, he just heard a unexpected very loud noise with no birds around, no dummy thrown.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

birddown12

Post by birddown12 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:20 pm

TaterHead wrote:i may have explained it wrong I did not fire my gun while standing over him!! He was heeled beside me back behind the gun just like in training. He was introduced to gun fire in a large field while retrieving a bumper the shooter started about 50 yards away with caps then he worked closer and closer then we started with .22 100 yards away Working closer then 20 gauge 100 yards away then got closer. This took weeks it was not done over night. He hunted early goose and no problems. Could they have damaged his ears at the groomers? Could this be an ear infection? Has anybody else had this happen?

Tater - so i have viewed this forum for years, finally became a part of it. I'm by no means an expert and others will probably think I am ridiculous (I try not to share my thoughts too much, but i feel like some people on here are here more to tell you how you did something wrong instead of HELP). I don't do field trials anymore, but have trained up several very nice dogs over the years for my own pleasure of hunting and trials. what you did by firing the weapon without distraction seems to have changed your dogs attitude. was it right or wrong?? at this point doesn't matter. Never have I Ever introduced guns as you described. I hear a lot of people do it this way... All my new pups were introduced to gun shot on our very first hunt. the first bird that flies or gets pointed gets shot. no big deal and never had an issue. Call me lucky, but luck runs out, so i don't believe so. the dog correlates shooting as a good thing. I think most of the time when we make a big deal out of something that shouldn't be, the animal can sense it. I don't think you ruined your dog at all. I would first check your dog for ear infection (step 1). step 2 - see about taking your dog out after some upland birds and let him chase and go ahead and shoot them. this will be fun for him. Give tons of encouragement and i think you will find everything is OK. please report back and keep me posted.