New member from Alabama

DPC874

New member from Alabama

Post by DPC874 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Hey guys my names Patrick, but most people call me Pat. I've been a fan of the forum for a couple months or so. But just now joined and decided to become a member. The reason for doing so is this coming Saturday I will be going to pick up my new furry friend down in Lousiana. He is a yellow Labrador Retriever but looks almost Snow White in color. Will try and post some pics once I get the hang of it. I'm 25 years old this will be my first dog besides childhood pets and parents dogs. simply put this will be the first dog to raise in my own and train to become a Hoss in waterfowl. I have named this little guy "Beau" (Bo) because of his Cajun roots. He comes from a great pedigree and his dad is a AKC master Hunter so his got it in him. I'm a Business Major from the university of Alabama and I'm currently pursuing my dreams of starting my own business. This past summer I broke my neck In a car accident due to a drunk driver. Almost died twice and my chances of living or recovering was slim. But I fought through it and I am 85-90% recovered and the main reason I'm Getting Beau is to lift my spirits, to have a deep bond with my 1st dog. also this dog will be a great tool not only when I'm hunting but also he will help me to become more active and recover faster. So I think for both of us it will be a win win. I mainly duck,deer,dove, and turkey hunt. And my main goal is to have my lab become a reliable retriever for me while I'm duck hunting. I've been hunting since I was 10 years old so I know my way around the water and woods quite well but when it comes to puppies and training I am a complete newb! So I'm really going to need some advice! So Saturday I'm bring Beau home and I have bought puppy pads a crate, a collar, leash, check cord, bumpers, and 1 KoNG. He's been eating Diaonds puppy food at his breeder so I might transition him to some other food gradually. But other than that I'm lost on a time line of what I'm supposed to do for the next several months. My plan is to get him used to his name and start to crate train him as well as potty train him. I've read from y'all that it is best that I just let him be a puppy for awhile and have fun. So that's what I'm going to do and not rush everything. But as far as when and what age I should start doing this or that I'm entirely lost. So any advice on what goals I should set or a time line you used for your dog or anything you deem necessary I'm all ears. Also any advice on discipline and punishment are something I've been getting mixed responses from as well so please let me know what you do with your
Dog and what worked best. Thanks again for the add! I realize that this is the welcome page so I can post my "what to do for the next 3 months" and " what was you training timeline" and beginning things to work on questions in another forum" I will post in correct forum once I have time. Sorry if I broke the rules. Look forward to meeting and talking to y'all! -Patrick

DPC874

New member from Alabama

Post by DPC874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Moderator will use please delete this whole topic I have a more recent one that introduces myself with pictures. DELETE THIS THREAD