New guy from Louisiana

corkieb

New guy from Louisiana

Post by corkieb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi fellas
I'm from south central louisiana. Joined the site to share info and hopefully learn some new tricks. I'm mostly a waterfowl guy but have dabbled in woodcock hunting.

greg jacobs

Re: New guy from Louisiana

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Welcome

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Where about in Louisiana ?.. Water fowling and Gators are tough .

corkieb

Post by corkieb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm

polmaise wrote:Where about in Louisiana ?.. Water fowling and Gators are tough .
South Louisiana near lafayette. Usually don't have trouble with the gators except for teal season unless we have a warm winter.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am

Hello and welcome,
I too am a waterfowl guy. I have three Swamp Collies (Golden Retrievers). As part of my training with them I run them in hunt tests. Our youngest has her Senior Hunter and WCX titles! All that means is that she is a fully trained waterdog including doing blind retrieves. I have access to Waterfowl, Pheasant, and Quail which are my primary focus. I hear there are some Prairie Chickens over in Kansas, but I prefer Pheasant and Quail for the quality 'table fare'! We are making a trip up to North Dakota this year, will spend a week chasing anything with feathers on it! My Golden's are trained to stay within about 40 yards when quartering for upland game. The all have a flag of hair on their tails, that will usually stick up in cover. When that tail starts quivering, you better be ready because they are on a scent and the bird will flush shortly their after....

Do you run labs or? I have waterfowl hunted once in the areas south of New Orleans! Some fabulous hunting there, got my first Cinnamon Teal on that trip, not to mention catching Red Fish after hunting in the morning! You are lucky to live in such a great area for the outdoorsman. I am not sure I could work my dogs, if gaiters are around. I have to much work and money tied up in those dogs for them to become a meal for one of this animals.....but we always fear what we do not know....SMILE

corkieb

Post by corkieb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:37 am

Timewise65 wrote:Hello and welcome,
I too am a waterfowl guy. I have three Swamp Collies (Golden Retrievers). As part of my training with them I run them in hunt tests. Our youngest has her Senior Hunter and WCX titles! All that means is that she is a fully trained waterdog including doing blind retrieves. I have access to Waterfowl, Pheasant, and Quail which are my primary focus. I hear there are some Prairie Chickens over in Kansas, but I prefer Pheasant and Quail for the quality 'table fare'! We are making a trip up to North Dakota this year, will spend a week chasing anything with feathers on it! My Golden's are trained to stay within about 40 yards when quartering for upland game. The all have a flag of hair on their tails, that will usually stick up in cover. When that tail starts quivering, you better be ready because they are on a scent and the bird will flush shortly their after....

Do you run labs or? I have waterfowl hunted once in the areas south of New Orleans! Some fabulous hunting there, got my first Cinnamon Teal on that trip, not to mention catching Red Fish after hunting in the morning! You are lucky to live in such a great area for the outdoorsman. I am not sure I could work my dogs, if gaiters are around. I have to much work and money tied up in those dogs for them to become a meal for one of this animals.....but we always fear what we do not know....SMILE
I also hunt golden's. My current dog is at the end of her career. Yes the waterfowl hunting along our coastal marshes is world-class and the fact that you can catch red fish and speckled trout after a hunt is pretty awesome. I duck hunt in the Atchafalaya delta and the extreme south western part of the state. The gators are never really a problem during big duck season unless its a warm winter.